PDA

View Full Version : Steering column Replacement - Dax Cobra

Geoff's Project
14-10-17, 11:36 AM
It has been many many years since I wrote on here, but I now seem to be getting the bug back to complete my project.

One of the last things I did before stopping the build all those years ago, was to break the steering lock, that being the last in a number of problems, I then walk away.

At the time I did buy a replacement column and I now see that it is slightly different, see in the picture, the one on the bottom is the new one, its longer and slightly wider at the opposite end from the steering wheel, basically it doesn't fit.

Are there any mods I need to do, or am I supposed to install it differently

I will be grateful for any help

Cheers

Geoff

corn plaster
14-10-17, 11:52 AM
Fit Corsa EPS which will use Corsa key. Worth fitting now before you complete car. Just an idea.

Andy

Geoff's Project
14-10-17, 02:50 PM
Wow I managed to fix the problem, I didn't reakise the cast part of the steering could be moved from the other part, it was a simple change over

Geoff's Project
14-10-17, 02:54 PM
Andy
I want to just finish what I have, I started this 9 years ago, and I have been stopped about 5 or 6 years, "Re-start the build" in my title refers to about 4 years ago..... it wasn't much of a restart then, so must focus on what is left to do:)

corn plaster
14-10-17, 05:13 PM
Good luck with the build.

Andy

kdavies3
16-10-17, 06:41 AM
Hi Geoff and welcome back.
I echo Andy's comments.
Fit Corsa B EPAS now and save yourself the trouble later.
You'll be able to sell on the columns you have.

KugaWestie
07-11-17, 06:11 AM
Hi Geoff and welcome back.
I echo Andy's comments.
Fit Corsa B EPAS now and save yourself the trouble later.
You'll be able to sell on the columns you have.

I am interested in this route for my build.
Can anyone explain what is needed?

kdavies3
07-11-17, 06:15 AM
First and foremost you need a Vauxhall Corsa "B" steering column and of course the ECU to drive it.
Loads of them on eBay usually, they are used by the rally /drift fraternity too.
I paid about £100 for mine I think.
Cheap controllers are also available to vary the level of assistance if required.
You would have to make up your own mounting brackets I guess unless they are similar to the Dax ones.

aaronjb
07-11-17, 03:01 PM
Not forgetting the wiring (rather large power feeds) will need adding to a standard loom, or spec a loom to suit.