PDA

View Full Version : Pilgrim Cobra Build - IVA fail

Bob the novice builder
23-09-18, 12:44 PM
Hi there, I hope you are able to help. My AC failed on Thur. Thankfully it was only on a couple of areas. Has anyone passed recently as I wanted some guidance on the right type of mirrors and also locks for the bonnet. Re the latter I do have L locks but no inserts.

I have looked at some of the archive info and chased up some of these leads. I have read the IVA guidance but sometimes i’ve found it is difficult finding the right item. Many thanks for any help. Rob

AndyM
23-09-18, 02:50 PM
Hi Bob. Mine passed last month. I used the usual bonnet locks from S&J but you do need the key inserts to meet the radius requirements. For wing mirrors I used the pillar mounted ones, I think from Europa. You need the height to get the visibility. My original rear view mirror was mounted on the center stay and failed due to vibration. I swapped out for a dash-mounted mirror from S&J

petrolhead27
23-09-18, 08:55 PM
hi bob I used tex mirrors from svc they are convex and meet the standard i made a rubber channel around the outside of the glass as there was a sharp edge where the metal was rolled near the glass edge I mounted them quite high on the pillars for the test .They were quite cheap so i made my own mounting hardware

Bob the novice builder
24-09-18, 07:14 PM
Hi there, That’s for your help. Re the locks - there are a few S&J on-line, which one is it and what was the rough cost?

Re the mirrors - thanks for your ideas and some of things to watch out for. I’m losing a bit of confidence in getting it through. Is it ok to mount on the windscreen pilllar frame as long the bracket is ok radius wise?

Thanks again to both of you for your ideas. Rob

AndyM
24-09-18, 07:28 PM
Hi Rob. I believe you can get a set of bonnet/boot locks from s&j for around £100, but do give them a call if you have any questions. I forget the chap's name but always very helpful.

My wing mirrors were mounted to the screen pillars and passed.

Drop me a PM with your email if you want me to send some pictures

aaronjb
25-09-18, 09:35 AM
Hi there, That’s for your help. Re the locks - there are a few S&J on-line, which one is it and what was the rough cost?

On their invoice they list a website as sandj-motors.co.uk but that goes nowhere.. I don't think the 21st century has reached them in Chorley, yet, so best to give them a call on 01257 262881.

Pickmaster
25-09-18, 05:28 PM
John at S&J as above sorted out my mirrors and latched
IVA passed in February OK
They aren’t in the internet but only a phone call away 👍

Bob the novice builder
25-09-18, 06:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for their links and advice. I will follow-up tomorrow with a call.

Three things to sort - locks, mirrors and handbrake (last one already sorted). Nearly there. Really valuable from people who have been through it.

Thank you again. Rob

ps - will keep you posted.