PDA

View Full Version : Petrol pipe routing

Richard Gibbs
02-10-18, 10:06 AM
Hi All

I've put the fuel tank in to my Dax and am now routing the fuel pipe.
The car has the Jag IRS setup for axles and a mechanical fuel pump on the Chevy by the way.

I've routed the pipe along the inside face of the chassis rail all to way from the engine to the small plate that crosses from the left to right chassis rail. This is the one that sits just under the back end of the Tremec gearbox.
My question now is, should I dril this cross piece to accept a grommet through which to feed the pipe, it's a 10mm steel plate! If I do this the pipe will be above the lower face of the chassis. Great.

Then where do I route it from there?
It has to go under the chassis rail into which the fulcrum shafts go. Can't go above as it will be too close to the wishbones. In any case it will have to go under the diff as the tank outlet is under the fulcrum shaft spreader plate on the diff.

Any one got any pictures for how you've routed the fuel pipe from tank under the diff, or can you advise best routing option?

Cheers

1dayiwill
02-10-18, 02:28 PM
PM sent...........

Richard Gibbs
02-10-18, 07:14 PM
PM sent in return.
Many thanks

String
02-10-18, 08:39 PM
Richard, if you do run the pipe under the diff there is the possibility of fitting a plate that provides some protection to both pipe and diff. AK have one available, at the bottom of the page:

https://www.aksportscars.co.uk/parts/page/4/

HTH.

Richard Gibbs
03-10-18, 10:50 PM
Hi String

Interesting. I was thinking of fabricating something very similar.
The fulcrum shaft brackets have very useful tapped holes on the underside. I think they will come in very handy.

How's your build coming along?

I got the tank in, one of the doors on, and the power steering in, in the last few days. Still waiting for my steering rack input shaft support bracket to be welded up. I chased it this week. Hope to have it Friday.

Cheers

Richard Gibbs
04-10-18, 04:51 PM
Big thanks to 1dayiwill for help.
Routing solution is now in hand.

I might just fabricate that protection plate too String. We shall see when the pipe is in.

Cheers

String
04-10-18, 05:32 PM
Hi String

How's your build coming along?

I got the tank in, one of the doors on, and the power steering in, in the last few days. Still waiting for my steering rack input shaft support bracket to be welded up. I chased it this week. Hope to have it Friday.

Cheers

like a snail on sedatives at the moment...waiting on parts really.

If you can fab something yourself it’ll save you a bob or two and you can make it to fit; go for it. Glad your build is moving forward; keep up the momentum.

BLOKE
04-10-18, 05:43 PM
This one has come up before, I put mine through a length of garden hose, my battery is in the boot, so I used large saddle type fixings, and just sealed the ends with mastic, 18 years latter, still good.
Frank Dowsett BLOKE.

ambar
04-10-18, 06:19 PM
Originally ran fuel and brakes along inside centre chassis rails. Ran over debris on M27, wrapped itself around prop shaft and destroyed brake and fuel lines.
80 mph, no brakes, no engine and fuel pumping out. Luckily little traffic and stopped on hand brake. Rerouted every thing away from moving parts. Ran replacements on outside of outer chassis rails.
Just a thought.....

Richard Gibbs
05-10-18, 07:19 PM
Good thought on protection issues.

I'm considering a plate for the centre section under the propshaft as well as the area under the diff.
I'll post some pictures when I get that far.

Got the other door on today.
Even the neighbours say it's looking like a real car now!
Still waiting on the input shaft bracket. So still can't get the engine in.

david hemmings
07-10-18, 09:02 AM
One thing to note with the dax and a sbc you cant use a mechanical pump as the steering shatt goes through where will it be , as I found out , if anyone needs a new mechanical pump I have one !

Richard Gibbs
07-10-18, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the info on the fuel pump.

I had heard the mechanical pump fouled the chassis rails on the newer chassis, but as mine is an older one there appears to be room.

Are you talking about the newer steering rack that has the input shaft near the centre of the rack or the older Dolomite version which I have?

david hemmings
07-10-18, 10:51 AM
Hi mine is a 2013 quaif rack it’s the shaft that fouls it out of the rack would virtually go right through the middle of the pump ,

Richard Gibbs
07-10-18, 09:25 PM
Hi David

I've got the older steering rack. That tells you how long I've had the car and been building it!
I'll continue for the time being and see what clearance I have as the input shaft is offset to the driver side. I shall report back as and when I get the engine in. I'll hold off from routing the fuel pipe under/round the diff until I know for certain if I can work round the input shaft and particularly the support bracket I'm fabricating.

But your advice is most welcome. One more thing to watch out for and a potential problem to solve.