PDA

View Full Version : Too much pinion slack?

staleg
22-11-18, 08:24 AM
My Jaguar rear axle has much slack. Feels like it's too much for me, but are not sure .
Typical very noticeable if I let off the throttle pedal after accelration.

It make a "singing" sound in speeds around 60 miles/h, but other than that it's quiet and ok.
No locker.

I have read how to measure if the pinion teeths are enough engaged with the crown Wheel teeths, and am planning to do that. But how deep should the pinion teeths engage?

1dayiwill
22-11-18, 10:03 AM
You can read this:-
http://www.thecarnut.com/Manuals/SalisburyAxleService.pdf
But I suggest you get a professional to do it. Cost you about £400. russell_ram2 on this site is a master.

aaronjb
22-11-18, 10:13 AM
russell_ram2 on this site is a master.

Postage from Norway for a diff might be a bit of a killer, though :)

TINKA
22-11-18, 12:20 PM
To check if there is too much play or not you need to jack up the car and then fix one wheel and the input shaft so they cant move. Then turning the other wheel see how much movement there is on the edge of the brake disc, from memory more than either 1" or 3/4" (can't remember which) I think its 3/4", means there is too much play and it needs a rebuild.

staleg
23-11-18, 08:33 AM
To check if there is too much play or not you need to jack up the car and then fix one wheel and the input shaft so they cant move. Then turning the other wheel see how much movement there is on the edge of the brake disc, from memory more than either 1" or 3/4" (can't remember which) I think its 3/4", means there is too much play and it needs a rebuild.

Very useful information. Thanks!