PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Parts from the UK/Europe

Eggbert
19-07-19, 10:35 PM
I always agreed with those of you who didn’t like ordering parts from the US, however I am absolutely mystified about how to order parts from Europe and/or the UK. It seems like one of the on-line retailers provide shipping information to any place other than themselves.

I’ve been playing around with the clutch slave cylinder in my car and I know that if I take it apart and reassemble it too many times I will eventually ruin the piston seal, so I’ve been trying to find a replacement. It’s a BMW slave cylinder, but they stopped producing rebuild kit’s a long time ago, although you can still find the odd one on Ebay at a premium price.

The seal seems nothing special; just a U-cup seal that’s 7/8” OD, ½” ID and ¼” thick. Using a microscope I found some part numbers on it.

There’s a DKW number, no longer any good: 6815-05351-00

And there’s an ATE (Lockheed) number: 3.3402-2201.1

This ATE number was useful in finding the current equivalent, which is 3053 and made by ABS. Here’s a link to it:

https://www.abs-bv.nl/pdp/3053

Minimum order of 10, but they’re cheap enough so I emailed ABS to enquire if they’d ship to Canada and if so, could they please provide an approximate shipping cost.

I asked about the cost, because some of the retailers have a horrendous minimum shipping charge.

For example, this website has the seal:

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/abs-7799822.html

But check their minimum shipping cost to Canada here:

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/shipping.html

It’s £112.06 !

Today I e-mailed another supplier (winparts in the UK), and I did get an answer, although it doesn’t make much sense to me:

“I've checked the shipping costs for these products.
These are:
85,00 euro
24,59 CAD
76,3083 British pound.”

So what to do?

In the meantime I managed to find 5 different aftermarket drum brake wheel cylinder kits for a 7/8 bore, but none of the auto-parts store stock them, so I can have a look to compare (I need to verify ID and thickness).

Right now I am researching the rear wheel brake cylinder kit for an MG GT which has a 7/8” bore, but havn’t found any more information yet.

So why am I doing all this when I can easily buy a whole slave cylinder? Well, it’s because I did buy a whole unit back in 2011 and it cost $126. All the old one needed was a seal. I suspect the whole unit is much higher now. I'd like to have a few spare seals around in case I damage one during my tinkering.

So… dealing with Europe and the UK is suddenly more difficult than dealing with the USA. What do you have to say to that, my UK friends? LOL (I do find the whole situation a bit funny)

mylesdw
19-07-19, 11:36 PM
I found exactly the same thing trying to buy parts from the USA - most just quote a "f*ck off" price for the postage. Luckily NZ post have a service that allows you to get stuff delivered to a USA address and it is forwarded for a very reasonable price - from US$8. But this does not help you!

I would ask one of the lovely folks on this forum if they would forward the part for you. I'm sure some fellow Cobrite will help out.

corn plaster
20-07-19, 12:22 AM
Get them sent to a UK address and get them sent to you.

Andy

tonym
20-07-19, 11:11 AM
John, if you get then sent to me I'll send them onto you, PM me a contact number and a good time to call and I'll be in touch.

Eggbert
20-07-19, 10:47 PM
John, if you get then sent to me I'll send them onto you, PM me a contact number and a good time to call and I'll be in touch.

Thanks guys, and Tony I might take you up on that kind offer, but I'm still researching a bit.

Drop shipping to an address that isn't for my credit card, or Paypal, is often frowned upon by vendors. However, I also have friends from the UK coming to visit it September, so I might ask them, I can then pay them back when they're here.

So far, the MG GT wheel cylinder repair kits look good. Taking a picture, the thickness looks right, and for a 7/8" bore, the OD is OK, but scaling the ID it looks too small. I'll keep searching for a while.

mylesdw
21-07-19, 02:14 AM
Drop shipping to an address that isn't for my credit card, or Paypal, is often frowned upon

Add the address to your PayPal account and it should be fine, I do it all the time.

Eggbert
21-07-19, 10:19 PM
Add the address to your PayPal account and it should be fine, I do it all the time.

Thanks Myles, that's good to know. However....

I think the whole thing is a lost cause now. The molded numbers I read off the seal (ATE 3.3402-2201.1 and DKW 6815-05351-00) matched up to a 7/8” bore which cross refers to that seal I was trying to buy, P/N 3053.

Imagine my surprise today when I re-checked the cylinder bore and found it was 13/16", or 20.64 mm.

Going back in time to original DKW information, it turns out the seal should have been ATE P/N 3.3402-2001.1 which is for a 20.64 mm cylinder.

This cross-refers to ABS P/N 3052.

https://www.abs-bv.com/pdp/3052

So…. What to buy, the 3053 which matches up by part numbers, but has too large a O.D., or buy the 3052 which has the correct I.D., but is a different ATE P/N than the one I have in my hand.

This is yet another problem when ordering off the internet. You don’t get to see the part in your hand until after it arrives, and returns, if accepted at all, are a pain.

I think I may give up for now and maybe buy a NOS slave cylinder repair kit (long discontinued) through E-bay, and not only will it be of use, but I can check the number on it as well.

Thanks again all.

Ps: Oh… just a point of interest, I did find that the smaller seal, which is the one I probably need, was used in the brake cylinders of a 1967 to 69 BMW 1600 GT.