PDA

View Full Version : Gear knob and IVA

Highlander
20-08-19, 07:17 AM
Quick question regarding the gear knob and IVA.

Does it need to have a legend indicating the location of the gears either on the knob itself or somewhere visible?

Cheers.

Paul.

peterj1974
20-08-19, 07:41 AM
I passed iva with no legend or anything else indicating the location of the gears. Nothing in the iva manual to say you need to have this

KevinW
20-08-19, 09:01 AM
....and as long as you aren't going to Gillingham! :-P ;)

pevans
20-08-19, 04:18 PM
Didnt seem to care on my picky inspector the other day and not read anything in the IVA book !

Highlander
20-08-19, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys, just thought best to check.......I’m at that panicking to make sure I haven’t forgotten anything stage so be prepared for more WTF questions:rolleyes:

pevans
20-08-19, 08:52 PM
I failed my IVA a few weeks ago, happy to share my experience with you and compare notes. PM me if you would like. I am currently fussing if I have done everything exactly by the book as I really do not want another retest!

drammyboy
28-04-20, 07:32 PM
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img4/small/21/21_gear.jpg (http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=21_gear.jpg)

Julesdm
29-04-20, 02:06 PM
Kevin, i will be going to Gillingham....some time in July or when they re open....what do i need to know?
....and as long as you aren't going to Gillingham! :-P ;)

1dayiwill
29-04-20, 02:53 PM
I had my IVA at Gillingham and passed first time. I don’t have any idea how other testing stations compare but, apparently, they can be very fastidious at Gillingham. I found them to be very helpful, adjusted my headlights and calibrated the speedo for me and even complemented me on a couple of things I’d done. The tester did say that they test a lot of Caterham 7s, being their local centre, and they see an awful lot of rubbish and dangerous examples coming through.
For what it’s worth.

KevinW
29-04-20, 03:24 PM
what Colin said.

Put up spme pics of your car and I'll tell you what they won't like!
e.g. CBS sticker labels on toggle switches are a No-No! Aston cap with roller catch won't pass either.

My original test was on the same day as the Goodwood FoS - it took >30 minutes to fill up the tank due to all the classics filling up and needing a double space at the pumps. We then hit massive engineering works and speed restrictions on the motorway that meant we were 10 mins late after a nightmare 70 mile trip journey to get there. Inspector was in a pretty bad mood, so might explain why they came down really hard on me. Some of it my own fault, some of it was, well, 'fussy' imho. They were much happier when I returned....early...the next time...and the time after that!