PDA

View Full Version : MOT stations

Darnpistonbroke
21-08-19, 11:01 AM
Hi.
Can anyone in the Bournemouth/Poole area recommend a sensible MOT station for kit cars? Some garages seem prejudice against these cars, some don’t understand the rules and some are just plain black and white. Not looking for favours but not looking for obstacles either.

Cheers,

David.

jon1d
21-08-19, 11:36 AM
What year is the car registered on V5c and do you have engine date. Some have emission levels on the document? There is a long post on the emissions.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60293&highlight=emmissions

Find a MOT old school who likes classics is the ideal. They will spend more time chatting than testing.

Darnpistonbroke
21-08-19, 12:45 PM
Emissions are visual smoke only as the engine is a 1972 unit. Or at least the block is!!
The handbrake is the inboard XJ6 affair whose efficiency is questionable to say the least. Should be no problem with the date of registration. Just hope they don’t so about the rear reflectors!

jon1d
21-08-19, 12:51 PM
I am the same as you 1971 block only on smoke and XJ6 inboard. I added reflectors when I first got the car as it was raised on my first MOT. I have adjust my handbrake a few times and need to again as it was out of balance. Inspection hatch on the rear bulk head makes it so much easier. Don't just try cable adjustment you need to take split pin and adjust all slake out first and finally on the cable.

Darnpistonbroke
21-08-19, 03:15 PM
Done that many times. Eventually I had to replace the callipers as the auto adjust mechanism became non existent. Luckily I found new, old stock. The handbrake now works as well as it ever will do.

AKBaz
21-08-19, 03:57 PM
Crikey I must be blessed. My garage/ tester has been testing my cars for 25 yrs. The cobra has black and silver plates, tick no problem. Handbrake normal useless jag one, it'll pass ok but he tests it on the front line lock as a parking brake, his suggestion as some old fiat or lancia, Italian anyway use the hydraulic front brake as a parking brake. Engine pre 74 so smoke only.

Good luck finding a good tester who appreciate our cars.

Barry

corn plaster
21-08-19, 08:05 PM
Maybe not a good idea to post how your MOT tester passes your car. People are watching.

Andy

AKBaz
21-08-19, 08:21 PM
Maybe Andy but according to the rules as understood the parking brake test is legal. Most mot stations will pass black and silver plates so mentioning my experience here is of no concern.

Also been stopped by the police with no mention of the plates, just interested in the car. Also driving the 75 miles to a IVA test station with no plates 5 miles of them with a police car behind me.

jon1d
23-08-19, 12:17 AM
Barry,

They must of had more serious issues to worry about and must of been distracted by your car or you must of had stealth mode switch on.