PDA

View Full Version : Strange indicator problem

david.mt
16-09-19, 03:09 PM
Before I start getting the multimeter out has anyone had a similar issue with Dax - basically the hazards work fine but when I indicate to turn either left or right both sides flash. The flashing is at the same rate and all bulbs are lit although one of the side indicators does look a little dimmer when signalling in the opposite direction.

Could be the relay but unlikely as the hazards work fine so suspect some kind of wiring gremlin but unusual as all looks fine.

Any suggestions/recommendations or similar issues?

Thanks

AKCobra
16-09-19, 03:24 PM
Sounds like the hazard relay is bridging the connection, not sure of your specific wiring but you will need to add a diode to stop this.

Alan.

david.mt
16-09-19, 04:18 PM
Thanks Alan - car has been fine for years so not a build issue but something has failed or changed? I will replace the relay first.

Andy76
16-09-19, 06:53 PM
Funnily enough I just had the exact same problem in my AK.

I removed and refitted the relay. The only other thing I found behind the dash was that the earth connector block was floating around in mid air having come away from its home. I stuck that back in place and wiggled a few wires. Somewhere along the line the problem was cured.

I've put it on the 'keep an eye on it' list and will investigate over the winter but suspect it may be the relay.

As an aside, my brake lights appear to be a bit intermittent, Suspect the pressure(?) switch on brake line as disconnecting and shorting the wires from it brings the brake lights on. Not sure how reliable the switches are?

Andy

david.mt
16-09-19, 07:03 PM
Thanks Andy - new relay ordered! I have never removed the dash but it's on my list of jobs to ensure the wiring is secure so will do that if the relay does not cure the issue.

mark chambers
16-09-19, 07:48 PM
Hi David I had a similar problem with my DAX, the large multi plug which incorporates the indicator feed had a bad connection, mine was fine but after having dash out for another problem I was miffed after creating another problem, it resulted in me pulling the bayonet connector out of the multi plug and wiring it externally to the multi block, no problem since. If you can get to the multi plug I could get mine to work fine if you can wiggle the loom and plug.
Mark

Darnpistonbroke
16-09-19, 08:01 PM
Have you replaced the stalk lately by any chance? Not all stalks are the same. They differ between saloon and hatch back models and that will also cause problems. Same connection plugs but wired differently to accommodate rear window wiper and washer.
Other than that, check your earths. Earths on plastic cars are critical.

David.

david.mt
17-09-19, 07:30 AM
Thanks - stalks changed some years since and been working fine ever since. Only recent change was swapping rear lenses and bulb but not with LED's and was working after. Also removed them yesterday and still flashed both sides. Suspect either flasher relay or if not that then some wiring fault which could be a bugger to track down!! I was going to get an MOT this week but have had to cancel!

Gratuitous photo :-)

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37859&stc=1

Darnpistonbroke
17-09-19, 07:48 AM
Where did you get those stalks from? Been looking for some like that for a while.

David.

david.mt
17-09-19, 09:17 AM
Where did you get those stalks from? Been looking for some like that for a while.

David.

There was a guy on here making them a while since (David Gardner) - he made a few sets and sold them. Not seen anything recently. They are really nice and did work fine until this week!

david.mt
18-09-19, 05:06 PM
Ok - just to update and close this thread - found the fault!

I fitted an indicator alarm some years since which starts to beep when the indicators had been left on - easily done in a Cobra but having been a BMW driver for some years I no longer use them :-). I forgot about it as you could never hear it anyway other than in the garage. After removing the dash and checking the switch which was all fine I realised the alarm was not working anymore. Sods law this was in the rear battery area but when I disconnected it everything worked fine again!

So problem solved and now the dash is off it gives me chance to add a warning light for the coolant level, tidy up the wiring and remove the clock to replace with something useful.