PDA

View Full Version : Brake lines on Cortina based viper

kevchard
11-04-04, 08:49 PM
Hello
I am trying to fit the front flexible brake pipes to my DMS/Cobretti, but i am unsure as to where the brackets should be mounted to secure the flexible to the solid pipe (at the caliper end).
I can understand that the solid pipe from the caliper needs to be held steady as it joins the moveable flexi. My car has absolutely no brackets or provision for this.
I am not very good at describing things at the best of times, so sorry for vagueness.Cheers for reading this.
Happy Easter, hope you all have not pigged too much on chocolate!!
:):) :)

Purple AK
11-04-04, 09:46 PM
Hi Kevin.
Not sure if this picture is gonna be any good as the scanners just gone pop. Basically there is a bracket on the bottom caliper mounting bolt.
Cheers

kevchard
12-04-04, 08:17 AM
Thanks Chris
That pic hit the nail on the head. No wonder i could not find a bracket welded on anywhere to mount the hose to.
What are the symptoms of your scanner? Just won't work, or pc does not know it is there?
Thanks again

kevchard
12-04-04, 07:41 PM
Thanks again Chris
Spent 4 hours with grinder, vice, Drill making my own brackets to resemble original ones, considering i did them, they don't look too bad (not even any runs in my paint!!).
Don't spose you happen to know where the other end of the flexible is now supposed to mount? eg horizontal, vertical etc?
Cheers

Purple AK
12-04-04, 08:09 PM
Hi Kev.
I THINK the other end was mounted vertically, it dos'nt show it in the manual I dug out. On my Cortina based Eagle RV (next project!) there is a crude bracket welded on to mount them horizontally. To be honest I don't think it really matters as long as they dont, Twist, Kink, stretch or foul anything on lock to lock or bump. You could try a post on here to put your mind at rest.
http://www.buysellcortina.co.uk/
The scanner is an all in one, its saying "there is a communication fault. Check leads". But it still prints ok. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the software and see what happens.
Cheers

kevchard
12-04-04, 08:50 PM
Have you got another pc / laptop to test the all in one scanner on? Sorry for techie stuff, but IT is my job. Hsve you tried shutting pc and scanner off at same time?
I will place brake line where it meets your guide lines (eg not kinked etc).
If you need any pc help, please harrass me.
Cheers

Purple AK
14-04-04, 06:53 PM
Hi Kev.
Look what I found! The dimension on the ruler is about 45mm.
Hope this helps Cheers.

kevchard
14-04-04, 07:47 PM
Thanks Chris for the lifelike pictures.
I made up some brackets from your orig pic. They very nearly fitted aswel. I had to turn the bracket upside down and use passenger side on drivers & vice versa.
Got one side of front brakes done tonight, complete with solid brake pipe customed designed.
Bike failed mot again on spongey brakes, if he fails it again i will wrap front forks round his head.
Regards