PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Kit

Mark P
25-04-20, 11:03 AM
Hi, I’m looking to buy a cobra kit. Can anyone recommend one please.
Thanks
Mark

String
25-04-20, 11:33 AM
Hello Mark and welcome.

What’s your budget? What sort of cobra are you looking to build - modern look, traditional look? What height are you?(!) These are some of the things to consider during your search - the regular experts on here will help with specific models and details etc.

Good luck in your search and enjoy the journey.

LDW
25-04-20, 12:37 PM
There is no such thing as a bad kit. Some kits are more suited to different requirements.
One thing to consider is that the National Kit Car Show at Stoneleigh has now been reconfirmed as the 29th and 30th of August. I would expect all the major manufacturers to be there and plenty of owners to talk to and look around their cars.

jon1d
25-04-20, 03:00 PM
Mark see your in Essex neighbour . I would say dont jump at the first one you see. Your budget will be what drives the manufacturer and engine spec you can stretch to as the cobra market has such a wide budget range. 20k-60k plus
Detail your spec your looking for and look at the different makes.
Starting with engine specs.
Rover v8 engined should be a starting point then Chevy v8 350 , Ford v8 ((rare)
Chevy Ls range , big block v8 Chevy or Ford. Price differences with th engines could be as much as 15-20k . You will have more help for the mainstream kits and resale value will hold.
Look at the style of the manufacturers
Pilgrim v8 Rover v8 Chev v8
AK v8 LS engines ,Chevy V8
DAX v8 Chevy mainly, some.Fords v8 302.351 , big block v8.
GD Chevy v8
HAWK 289 engines
Crendon Ford v8 ,Big block Ford v8
Dave Brooks cars .
No.longer manufactured but very good chassis body SR v8, Ram v8 , Vipers ,
There are other models.

You will get good support on all these manufacturers
You will get a some reassurance form the dealers Sovereign, totalhead turners.
Ask lots of questions in the forum.Good luck with your hunt.
Sorry if I missed any U.k manufacturers.

Walsh3328
25-04-20, 07:00 PM
What about us?! Factory five. We are in the mix to.

KevinW
25-04-20, 08:46 PM
https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c1iKowk5SA

I may be biased ;)

MartBlak
25-04-20, 10:34 PM
Hi Mark,

I did a lot of research on what make to get but was not confident of my own mechanical capabilities (and wanted to drive one asap after I retired) so bought from an engineer who had built one. My thinking was that I wanted to have a Ford smallblock but this was not as important as the chassis design and ease to strip the car down / take the body off. I settled on a GD and bought a Mk3 but you cannot go wrong with a GD4 with the GD Eurochassis (but that was outside my budget).
It all depends on what your budget is, what your priorities are and what look you are wanting. All the makes have their advantages so it comes down to personal preference and you should speak to as many of the makers and Cobra owners as possible.
Greg (austin21) went through the decision process fairly recently, and ended up with a GD Mk4. I am confident he would be happy to share his decision thinking with you.
I am sure you will enjoy the whole process once you have made your decision.
Martin

jon1d
26-04-20, 10:09 AM
What about us?! Factory five. We are in the mix to.

Sorry missing Factory Five. I knew I missed someone. Great looking cars and one of the top USA manufacturers. Great to see these are now available in the U.K. which is good for the industry and more choice for the public.
Good luck with the company and hope ti see Factory Five at shows once we allowed.

Walsh3328
27-04-20, 08:58 PM
Sorry missing Factory Five. I knew I missed someone. Great looking cars and one of the top USA manufacturers. Great to see these are now available in the U.K. which is good for the industry and more choice for the public.
Good luck with the company and hope ti see Factory Five at shows once we allowed.

Thanks look forward to meeting everyone. Plan is to have a demo roadster for next year to show off with a Daytona to follow after.

Boxoftricks
28-04-20, 08:51 AM
Welcome to the forum. As you live in Essex I'd recommend a trip to Total Head Turners where they normally have all the main kits in stock. Gives you a chance to see how they compare and sit in them to see whats comfortable etc.

Firestarter29
28-04-20, 12:11 PM
The OP has gone a bit quiet....

minesamalt
28-04-20, 06:38 PM
There is this Mark.
Ref:- C1213382
Car & Classic web site.

Roger

jon1d
28-04-20, 08:11 PM
Working link . Nice example.Mike Huddart engines are well know as producing good power. Seen a number on dynos.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1213382

LDW
28-04-20, 11:04 PM
I know that car and it is great.

minesamalt
29-04-20, 07:39 AM
Working link . Nice example.Mike Huddart engines are well know as producing good power. Seen a number on dynos.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1213382

Thank Jon, very grateful.

Roger

minesamalt
29-04-20, 07:42 AM
:cool:.............

minesamalt
29-04-20, 10:42 AM
I know that car and it is great.

....:cool:.....

nuf_said
29-04-20, 04:19 PM
I remember that car on the 2017 derbyshire tour. An admiring crowd round it while I took photos at The Crispin. The stripe was v effective.
Nuf Said

AKCharlie
29-04-20, 07:23 PM
Its a real beauty! Owned by a member of our region and this is an extremely well looked after car.

minesamalt
29-04-20, 09:03 PM
Crikey, I appreciate the comments.
Thank you Guys.
Many more and you may talk me in to keeping it. :cool:

drammyboy
29-04-20, 09:17 PM
The OP has gone a bit quiet....

So would I after ticking a few options on the list and then seeing........

https://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/price427kms.shtml

.....the price with selected options TOTAL UP $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I need a tody- A large double

Dek
30-04-20, 01:14 PM
So would I after ticking a few options on the list and then seeing........

https://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/price427kms.shtml

.....the price with selected options TOTAL UP $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I need a tody- A large double

I make that over $280k with all options exported with basic body. Add another $40k or $50k for copper or bronze bodies. When I win the lottery!
Dek

TINKA
30-04-20, 01:18 PM
I make that over $280k with all options exported with basic body. Add another $40k or $50k for copper or bronze bodies. When I win the lottery!
Dek

If I won the lottery Dave Brooks would get my business every time.

jon1d
30-04-20, 01:28 PM
It for deep pockets. You get carpets! They are the cream of engineering and finish CNC machined parts all billet. We need $2 to the pound again. The copper would go green in the U.k. so you have British Racing bright green after a few years.
It does make you wonder how the aluminium stands up to the damp U.K. weather. Have seen in the U.K. aluminium bodies attached to steel just dissolve at the attached points. You almost need the body floating and insulated from the steel to stop the dissimilar metals reacting.

Mark_Robinson
30-04-20, 02:38 PM
I agree with Martin. If i had the cash, I'd be knocking on Dave's door.

KevinW
30-04-20, 02:39 PM
It for deep pockets. You get carpets! They are the cream of engineering and finish CNC machined parts all billet. We need $2 to the pound again. The copper would go green in the U.k. so you have British Racing bright green after a few years.
It does make you wonder how the aluminium stands up to the damp U.K. weather. Have seen in the U.K. aluminium bodies attached to steel just dissolve at the attached points. You almost need the body floating and insulated from the steel to stop the dissimilar metals reacting.

- there are a fair few Kirkhams and other similar cars in thee UK, as well ofcourse AC's own cars. I haven't heard of that actually being a problem?

drammyboy
30-04-20, 03:14 PM
Get real folks......

Look at the Heater/Aircon charge.....in an open top sportscar

I'd rather save up ma pennies for that all important cost $$$$ of installing just the engine
1st one to find the price in the options list

gets a prize !

KevinW
30-04-20, 03:34 PM
Get real folks......

Look at the Heater/Aircon charge.....in an open top sportscar

I'd rather save up ma pennies for that all important cost $$$$ of installing just the engine
1st one to find the price in the options list

gets a prize !

- agreed, air con in a cobra is nonsense for the UK, but it is popular in hot states like Arizona where guys go out with the hood up when its baking hot.
Kirkhams are usually supplied as rollers...so you supply the engine, finish off the car and register it yourself....which in the states is usually biilled as a '1964 Cobra'.

drammyboy
30-04-20, 03:55 PM
- finish off the car and register it yourself....which in the states is usually biilled as a '1964 Cobra'.

Well...the engine install cost is there to be found.

spending well over 6 figures $$$$$$ and you expect the owner to work on finishing it !!!!

Come on - "recorded as a 1964 Cobra" suppose it makes you sleep better knowing that
your kitcar has 1964 recorded in the Pink Slip (V5)

Marylin Monroe look-a-likes are just not her.
Dolly the sheep looked the part but it wiznae Dolly
Now wiz it ?

jon1d
30-04-20, 11:22 PM
Kirkham take the car built to another level. They dont try to endorse it as a Shelby cobra like others.The Kirkham has developed with quality of build and improvement with modern materials.

Chris1
01-05-20, 09:18 AM
Would add that most of the kits out there are most certainly better in a lot of ways than the original ac's or Cobras .
The originals were never intended to be that good back in the day !
Chris.

Dek
01-05-20, 10:34 AM
Well...the engine install cost is there to be found.

spending well over 6 figures $$$$$$ and you expect the owner to work on finishing it !!!!

Come on - "recorded as a 1964 Cobra" suppose it makes you sleep better knowing that
your kitcar has 1964 recorded in the Pink Slip (V5)

Marylin Monroe look-a-likes are just not her.
Dolly the sheep looked the part but it wiznae Dolly
Now wiz it ?

$14995!
What’s the prize? ;)
Dek

jon1d
01-05-20, 12:43 PM
Dek,

You won !

Scratching my head over that cost if you break it down to labour cost 200 hours to install an engine going on exchange rate and £50 hour ?

drammyboy
01-05-20, 01:31 PM
Dek - recognition as the winner.

Now let's all salivate like Pavlov's dog over the dripping roast of this bespoke kitcar.
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1140785

Apart from the 2 mousetraps on the seats and
downing yet another large double Tody I find it a bargain.
Now where did I put my Swiss bank details.....HicHic

KevinW
01-05-20, 07:10 PM
Dek - recognition as the winner.

Now let's all salivate like Pavlov's dog over the dripping roast of this bespoke kitcar.
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1140785

Apart from the 2 mousetraps on the seats and
downing yet another large double Tody I find it a bargain.
Now where did I put my Swiss bank details.....HicHic

'The engine is a 5700cc with 4 gear Tremec gearbox.
The car is in perfect condition.'

- this is a joke right?
or is it a real doubie trying to sell it?

drammyboy
10-05-20, 09:35 AM
OP may be interested in this very reasonably priced one. Only 831
Problem is - it needs importing from Japan so the price will be higher ££££

This USA is amazing.... the UK attempt is the small slab sided 289 style

Perhaps this is the way forward for any novice builder as I presume
the Japan and USA ones come with fool instructions.

Mark P
17-05-20, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice, I have decided to go with the AK 427 is this suites my budget best.

i just can’t decide whether to have the engine bay stainless steel fitted

Any opinions ?

Mark P
17-05-20, 07:10 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice, I have decided to go with the AK 427 as this suites my budget best.

Any opinions ?

Mark P
17-05-20, 07:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice, I have decided to go with the AK 427 as this suites my budget best.

Any opinions ?

TINKA
18-05-20, 12:57 PM
Had mine done and have never regretted it, personally I would say yes BUT this will be your car so is it what you want ?

Des Mc
18-05-20, 08:58 PM
I had mine done by AK and it was worth every penny, very professionally done