PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Protection

Grumbleweed
07-10-20, 02:16 PM
Hi Guys,

My loom has arrived run in PVC sleeving, can anyone confirm that this is adequate in the eyes of the IVA? I note the IVA Manual only states "All electrical cables/wires must be free from chaffing..."

Thanks

Mark_Robinson
07-10-20, 02:30 PM
I wanted to be extra safe so I wrapped it all again in spiro wrap. It's a bit of a pain in the a*se to fit but it gives a little more protection.

Cheers,
Mark

Chris1
07-10-20, 02:45 PM
Hi Guys,

My loom has arrived run in PVC sleeving, can anyone confirm that this is adequate in the eyes of the IVA? I note the IVA Manual only states "All electrical cables/wires must be free from chaffing..."

Thanks
I am not up on all of the iva rules but do know that the plastic sleeving has been used for a
long time now so therefore can't see any problems with that now.
You will need to make sure that there is no way any part of the loom can start rubbing on anything at any time .
obviously make sure you keep any wiring away from hot manifolds etc .
As for fixing in place just use the proper loom clips, they will keep things tidy and safe .
My SR was built pre sva I know and I used the PVC sleeving with correct fixings because it made sense to do so.
Chris.

cperry
07-10-20, 02:47 PM
It should be fine but make sure every inch of wire has protection on it, even single wires right at the end of the loom, and make sure it won't move backwards and forwards inside the sleeving.

Grumbleweed
07-10-20, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys, i had planned to use the split spiral conduit but that was before I discovered it came in a sleeving already. I had planned to use rubber P-Clips to secure, every 100mm?

Chris1
07-10-20, 04:14 PM
Most pre made looms only use to come with just the normal loom tape
and that was for production vehicles as well .
There was a lot of thought around any sharp bits so rubbing did not occur
and go on to blow fuses .
Another tip is to make sure if you are going to mess around with the loom is to
use proper loom tape and not pvc insulating tape.