PDA

View Full Version : paint prep & coolant questions

lardy
26-03-02, 01:39 PM
have been looking at re-paint on my dax & have had some good info from the forum directly (cheers wilf) & looking at other peoples posts,question I have is whats the best method for removing paint.So far I have been told you can either sand,use chemicals or chisel it off? I'm not doing it myself but would like to know so I can have some input when talking to the painter. Also recently installed new ally heads, water pipe kit,Ally rad (dax) etc etc. Read in a manual you should not add antifreeze initially as ally heads are porous but instead add inhibitor then change after 2000 miles,spoke to brian at repower who supplied the bits he said doesn't matter either way,would like your input.Finally, I am hoping to go to the dax open day on friday & look forward to seeing some of you there, have lots of questions to ask(to silly to post) & hope to see some top cars.I spoke to gary at dax who agreed to test drive my car, as I haven't driven another cob I don't know how it compares. Just thought, I had to remove nose mesh could I damage rad if drive without it ??
Finally,Finally dave enjoy your build pics etc hope to see you friday

cheers
Lardy

robert
26-03-02, 01:50 PM
Prolonged exposure can eat the ally, depending on whether you have an electrolyte to start the chemical process.

You need to check what other parts have gone into the engine and if one of them will react and start the chemical process, if they will you can buy a sink which will inhibit the electrolytic process.

I ran antifreeze in my engine from day one with Barrs fluid also with no problems, and looking at the engine over the winter, there were no side-effects. The anti-freeze isn't the issue, it is the chemical reaction of disparate metals.

Robert
Forum Admin

http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif

lardy
26-03-02, 02:17 PM
robert thanks for the quick reply,whats barrs fluid ?

robert
26-03-02, 02:47 PM
It stops leaks in cooling systems, lubricates pumps and generally keeps things in good shape.

Robert
Forum Admin

http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif

dave
26-03-02, 04:25 PM
Okey dokey.;-)

wilf
28-03-02, 12:54 PM
Yep - a good antifreeze and "Bars-Leaks" is what works for me too. The question of electrolytic corrosion is relevant, since we have a mixture of metals in the cooling corcuit with differing electolysis potentials. Since cars with iron blocks/ally heads/copper&brass&?? radiators have been around for yonks, I guess it can't be too bad. I thought a good antifreeze was also anti corrosive as well? Not sure.
PS - you can get Bars-Leaks in liquid or solid (you crumble it in) form - either works.

Wilf