PDA

View Full Version : Which Kit Mag

JP
21-02-01, 07:33 PM
I've just looked through my March copy, what a waste of dosh. No decent editorial, I wonder why, a re-write of the pilgrim saga ( seems some paranoia is setting in)loads of adds not much else.

If this is going to be the standard of the mag going forward they've just lost a customer.

Thank goodness for Snake Torque

JP

David
21-02-01, 07:58 PM
I went to look at Pilgrim myself and although I did not opt for that car, I still feel that it is a very viable proposition for people who are considering a more budget orientated snake. I think this public damning of a reasonably small yet successfull company is stupid, unproffesional and down right childish. (I expect better standards from my 13 year old sister!) Yet another customer lost for which-kit!

Pete
21-02-01, 10:20 PM
So thats another 3 readers lost.... Why does he use this grubby little rag to settle personal vendettas? He lost his last editor due to the Pilgrim debacle. It make me wonder if he's lost the plot somewhere.

Neil
21-02-01, 11:36 PM
Make that 4 readers lost... After reading the March issue the only thing I found it good for was to keep the bottom of the bird cage clean.

PeteV
24-02-01, 08:16 PM
Have to agree that Filby looks like he's loosing it....

This months issue of Which Kit is full of the same undiluted anti-Pilgrim propaganda as the last couple of issues. I've been reading the kit car press for about 13 years now, and I don't recall ever seeing this kind of muck slinging. It really is pathetic.

The sad thing is that once upon a time Peter Filby put out some really good stuff. Any one remember the short-lived 'Component Car Classics'- this contained some absolutely fantastic quality kit car photography .

What really pisses me off about the whole thing is that he is effectively debasing what I believe to be a perfectly reasonable car (Sumo), and the shear contempt with which he treats his readers by peddling this one-sided shite...as if we don't all by know that Filby & Den Tanner have had a ding dong going on for years ever since Den sold him KCI.... Now Den's completely out of the publishing arena its safe for Filbs to say what he bloody well likes without fear of getting some of his own medicine. All I can say is - Filby , you're a sad man indeed ( and a bit of a whimp too) ...

David
25-02-01, 06:54 PM
Did anyone notice the bit in the back of the mag about the SRV8 moulds and jigs for sale and what this idiot thinks they are worth? They are for sale by Den Tanner, so this is just another childish effort for slagging Den off through the magazine.

Mr Filby. If by some remote chance you look through these web pages, maybe you should be getting a hint of what people are beginning to think of you. If other PROFFESIONAL companies aired their dirty washing in public the way you do, maybe you would feel the same way about them as we think about you. If you have a genuine gripe towards Mr Tanner, take it through the courts or similar authority and stop this stupid vendetta against Pilgrim, using what used to be a fairly decent magazine as ammunition. Just remember, everything that goes around, comes around.

Pete
25-02-01, 09:43 PM
I noticed that aswell. The letters page features negative Pilgrim comment together with the 'editors' negative reply, aswell as the now regular ad asking for pilgrim owners to take part in the 'unique survey'.

If you take out the references to Pilgrim, the editorial devoted to his shows, his ads for the same shows, his ads for his publications, his ads for items of knitwear and the ads for his used car business there's not much left apart from the press releases he pastes into his word processor. Its got to be better than working for a living!

My concern is that it puts an unfair spin on Pilgrim, and people new to the Kit Car world may swallow this rubbish.

imported_admin
01-03-01, 06:17 PM
I think we should all write to him in answer to his add.
pretending we all have sumos (even if u don't)
telling just how good they are with no negative comments
Lets see how many letters are published eh..?

imported_admin
14-03-01, 07:38 PM
LAST EDITED ON 14-Mar-01 AT 07:41 PM (GMT)[p]LAST EDITED ON 14-Mar-01 AT 07:39 PM (GMT)

Tanner vs Filby
I have just seen via one of the other newsgroups, that this matter has now been settled out of court. I don't know how accurate this is, but the message says that there will be no mention of Pilgrim products in Which Kit (no surprise there then), and no mention of any of Which kit sponsored shows in Kit Car magazine. So the slagging match appears to be over, and we'll just have to rely on informative sites like this one for showtime info (for free) - aint the internet just great!

Pete
14-03-01, 08:21 PM
Hi Kev, yes it's true. I think Den was quite touched by internet support he has received. He said he was not too literate on the 'net so I sent him hard copies of all the comments on this and other sites regarding WK and Pilgrim. He took these to his legal council but they could not be used as part of his case unfortunately.

Regarding my posting on the Newsgate group, I think it's up to Den if he wishes to go public with the terms of the agreement. I am not sure how confidential the details are.

I still think Filby is a bit barmy, I wonder what he'll be able to print in future now that Pilgrim is out of the frame. A publisher I know says that WK must be going down the tubes - the recent change from a spined journal to a folded stapled format is considerably cheaper to produce, and he's seen so many stuggling magazines resort to this before they fold.

It would be nice to have a completely independant Kit Car show site somewhere on the net.

robert
14-03-01, 09:03 PM
I can post the info regarding kit cars shows up on this site, if anyone can send me the relevant info. Send it to rob@cobraclub.com .

I am unfortunately averaging 80 hours a week at the moment, so cannot promise to get them listed immediately, but will get then listed before Mid April to enable people to get organised.

Robert
Cobra Club Web Bloke with a Blown GD!