PDA

View Full Version : East Anglia Region - Newsletter June 2003

route66
06-06-03, 10:07 PM
June 2003
Hi all,
May’s meet at Dunwich Beach, Suffolk coast, apparently turned out to be a typically changeable UK spring day for weather. I say “apparently” as I was up north visiting family and enjoying the northern rain as opposed to the East Anglian rain. I’m afraid I don’t have a vast amount of info amount the meet. Suffice it to say that the usual happy smiling faces appeared, whether in a cobra, a regular car, or astride a motorcycle and collectively enjoyed themselves.

Also in May was the National Kit Car Motor Show at Stoneleigh, Warwickshire. As arranged, our convoy enjoyed fine weather on the run to the show. Steve left the Dax in the garage and acted as Andy Soars co-pilot in a 1965 Cadillac. Andy is taking the Cadillac to Le Mans and wanted to give the car a run to make sure nothing untoward was likely to happen. Our journey along the old A45 (the B645 – an excellent ‘drivers’ road) was tempered for the cobra drivers by being stuck behind a 2 tonne Detroit Chrome mountain – you could have overtaken chaps.
This year we managed to find a ‘secret’ way into the show and thus avoid all the traffic delays. The Cadillac was parked on the Cobra Replica Club stand and soon attracted onlookers. Plus the boot was able to carry all the ‘bargains’ that Steve & Andy bought at the show.
You may recall from last years newsletters that the 24 Hours race at Le Mans is held in June. Well, a week from now 8 cars from our region will be heading south for the Dover – Calais ferry and the cheap beer and petrol – Steve definitely needs the cheap petrol at 12 – 15 mpg! We wish them well, I will hassle someone for a report for next month.

This month’s meet is on Sunday 15th June at 12:00 at The Maybush, Waldringfield, East Suffolk. Thanks to Rowland King for the suggestion. Waldringfield is on the west bank of the River Deben east of Ipswich and south of Woodbridge. From the A12, head east following the signs to the village. The pub is down by the waterside. Our venue inspector, John Tullett, has checked out the pub and reports a number of raised humps in the road on the approach. It sounds like time to convert your under floor exhaust to side pipes?
As usual, let me know if you’ll be eating by the Thursday before the meet so that I can notify numbers to the pub, as they require confirmation.

Forthcoming East Anglian meets.
July 20th – West Norfolk – The Chequers, Thompson (again by popular request)
August 17th – CRC East Anglian annual Summer Barbeque and fun afternoon
September 21st – East Norfolk – Coltishall – CRC East Anglian annual road run & treasure hunt
Plus local (and no so local) car events
June 21st to 22nd - The Alternative & Kit Car Show, Newark-on-Trent, Notts.
June 29th – Old Buckenham, Attleborough show – open invitation to bring along our cobras.
August 25th – Lavenham Rare Breeds Car Show and Carnival, Lavenham, Suffolk
Thanks to all you cobrateers, keep calling, and mailing.
Bye for now,
Eileen Call me on 01206 863804, or mail me at route66@pgen.net