PDA

View Full Version : East Anglia Region - Newsletter February 2004

route66
05-02-04, 06:39 PM
Hi all,
Considering it was a sunny morning, I suspect the drive up to The Marsh Harrier, Norwich, for January’s meet, was rather cold judging by the ears and faces of some cobra driving pub goers. I have to admit I was rather toasty from the Saab’s heated seats and climate control. Yes, you’ve guessed it; Steve didn’t shift the pile of firewood from in front of our garage door, and hasn’t even started the poor car since before Christmas. I’ll have to get my act together before long. There were quite a few hardy and not so hardy souls who had also arrived in their Euro-boxes so I wasn’t the only coward. I’ve probably got the lamest excuse though.

As you can see below, we have now managed to flesh out a schedule of meets for this year, within East Anglia and we’ve also included some shows and events. As some of our members are international travellers now, I’ve added some events in France and Germany. If there is any others you know of and want including in future newsletters, just let me know. We’ve incorporated as many personally recommended places as possible – but have hardly any recommendations for West Suffolk. So if you have any ideas for a cheerful pub with a large car park, good food, good beer, a landlord that doesn’t mind kids, or loud noises, or lots and lots of extra customers all descending on him at the same time, then we need to know about it.

If you don’t fancy coming to a meet in the UK, how about ranging a little further a field? Simon Findlay was tentatively asking around to find out if there was any interest for a trip to foreign places (not Cambridgeshire) in August. If there are a few of us who fancy a drive through Belgium to the Old Timer Grand Prix, Nurburgring in Germany then I’ll get Steve to co-ordinate the nitty gritty details as he’s such an expert at arranging an increasing number of enthusiasts to visit Le Mans each year.

This month’s meet is on Sunday 15th February (my 21st ish birthday) and is at 12:00 at The Welshwood, Fox Street, near Ardleigh / Colchester. I know Ardleigh is very east (south) Suffolk (ok then Essex) but the pub’s my local and it’s also my birthday . The pub is 6 doors along from me but I have every intention of driving (maybe pushing) the cobra there. They have a good menu choice and a range of ales – as any good pub should. Also, the car park is large and on the road side, so there’ll be a nice opportunity for some photos of the line up.
Fox Street is basically a small hamlet between Colchester and Ardleigh on the A137 south of Ipswich. You will need to access the A137 south via Manningtree (or across the back of the Ardleigh reservoir) or north from Colchester. If you have problems with directions, call me before 11:59.
As we usually request, let me know if you’ll be eating by the Thursday before the meet so that I can notify numbers to the pub, as they require confirmation of numbers.

Here’s the list of East Anglian meets for 2004.
February 15th – East Suffolk – The Welshwood, Fox Street, Ardleigh.
March 21st – West Norfolk – The Old Brewery House, Reepham (and Mother’s Day)
April 18th – West Suffolk – Rushbrooke Arms, Sicklesmere
May 16th – East Norfolk – The Pier Hotel, Gorleston (thanks to Mike Spivey)
June 20th – East Suffolk – The Victoria, Felixstowe Ferry (and Father’s Day)
July 18th – West Norfolk – The Gamekeeper, Old Buckenham (thanks to Simon Finlay)
August 15th - CRC East Anglian annual Summer Barbeque and fun afternoon
September 19th – East Norfolk – Coltishall – CRC East Anglian annual road run & treasure hunt
October 17th – East Suffolk – The Swan, Hoxne
November 21st – West Norfolk – The Fox Inn, Garboldisham
December 4th – CRC East Anglian annual Christmas meal
December 19th – West Suffolk - White Hart, Boxford

Plus local (and no so local) car events for 2004 (dates to be confirmed)
March 20th – London Classic Car Show, Alexandria Palace, London
April 3rd to 4th – European Kit Car Show, Detling, Kent
April 9th – Good Friday - DAX open day, Harlow, Essex
May 2nd to 3rd - National Kit Car Motor Show, Stoneleigh, Warwickshire
June 12th to 13th – Le Mans 24 Hours (East Anglian mega convoy – 10 cars this year)
June 19th to 20th – National Kit Car Festival, Newark-on-Trent, Notts.
June 25th to 27th - Festival of Speed, Goodwood, West Sussex
July 24th to 25th – Le Mans ‘Classic’, France
August 6th to 8th – Old Timer Grand Prix, Nurburgring, Germany
August 13th to 14th - Great Northern Kit Car Show, Harrogate, North Yorkshire
August 29th – Charity Air / Car Show in aid of East Anglian Air Ambulance, Seething, Norfolk
August 30th – Lavenham Rare Breeds Car Show and Carnival, Lavenham, Suffolk
Sept 3rd to 5th – Revival Meeting, Goodwood, West Sussex
Sept 4th to 5th - The National Kit & Performance Car Show, Castle Donington, Derbys.

Thanks to all you cobrateers, keep calling, and mailing.
Bye for now,
Eileen Call me on 01206 863804, or mail me at route66@hot2trot.freeserve.co.uk