PDA

View Full Version : East Anglia Region - Newsletter April 2004

route66
12-04-04, 10:26 PM
Hi all,
March’s meet, in Reepham, proved to be a bit of a pub hunt. As predicted, the world and his wife had booked all available pubs in the town for Mother’s Day, for probably the one time each year that ‘er indoors’ gets treated to a meal that she doesn’t have to cook herself. Or am I being a cynical female?
Anyway, as arranged, we assembled in the town square and, after a sedate wander about the town, found a welcoming establishment which was prepared to serve us beer, wine ….. and salt and vinegar crisps.
Much friendly banter was exchanged, and Mark Bright was seen to be secreting suspension components about his person, which he ‘flashed’ to several willing onlookers.
The most well fed award went to young Jack Hendry who happily scoffed the packed lunch brought along for him by his mum, Belinda.
However, as primarily we build our cars to drive them about the countryside, Steve and I, Cefin and Ann Mobbs, Andy Soar and Mark Bright formed up a convoy and enjoyed a drive on back roads and country lanes to and from the venue.
The only threatened downside was an accumulation of menacing black clouds and rain on the way home. Still, as we kept up a decent speed, we kept dry.

As I was on the other side of the Atlantic for the Good Friday Dax Open Day, Andy Soar accompanied Steve there in the cob.
As always seems to be the way at a Dax open day, an otherwise poor week of weather suddenly sorts itself out and brightens up for Good Friday. Thus, there was a good turn out of completed cars at the factory. Other East Anglians also in attendance included Rod and Celia Brand in their cob and Ron Rudkins who sneaked in the back door in a ‘regular’ car.
The day proved to be a bit of a trial for Steve as he had a puncture on arriving at Dax, the tyre had been slowly deflating and had damaged both side walls and hence was scrap. Dax had no 235/60/15s, so Steve and Andy removed the tyre and wheel and rolled it down the road to a tyre fitter. They also had no tyres of this size so the tyre was removed and an old Jaguar tyre and steel wheel was provided to get the car back home, with the cobra wheel perched on the transmission tunnel between them for the ride back.
The wheel wouldn’t fit in the boot because that was full of a new shiny aluminium radiator and fan. So more time in the garage for Steve.

Steve also went to Santa Pod on Easter Sunday for the Thunderball drag racing qualifying and, apparently came home partially deaf and with a craving for nitromethane.

I’ve received some details of a show you may like to attend this month on the Essex / Suffolk border. It’s the Manningtree High School Vehicle Show on Sunday 25th April. There were 230 cars there last year so this is obviously a popular show with various side stalls, an auto jumble etc. Entry is free.
I won’t be there as I don’t anticipate 4 new tyres and a radiator to be fitted by the manic mechanic by then, plus he’ll be in France that weekend for the Le Mans 24 Hours Pre-Qualifying / Testing weekend.

Further ahead, you may be aware that May 2nd and 3rd is the National Kit Car Motor Show at Stoneleigh, Warwickshire. In previous years we’ve convoyed to the show and this year is no exception.
Does anyone have a preference for Sunday or Monday? Please let me know so that I can co-ordinate the meet up.
As before, we can rendezvous at 08:30 (leaving at 09:00) at the Tesco petrol station next to the A14 in Bury St. Edmunds at the sugar beet factory roundabout. Anyone from the north or west of the region can then tag along as we head west on the A14. Our route will continue to St. Neots and then along the old A45 (the B645), an excellent ‘drivers’ road. Don’t forget to bring you shopping list for all those bargains at the show. If you are going to join the wagon train, please let me know beforehand so that we don’t roar off without you.

This month’s meet is on Sunday 18th April at 12:00 at the Rushbrooke Arms, Sicklesmere, west Suffolk on the A134 midway between Bury St Edmunds and Sudbury.
Sicklesmere is adjacent to Great Welnetham and the pub is on the main A134. You can’t miss it – if you do you shouldn’t be driving and need to apply for a white stick.
I haven’t formally booked any space at the pub. They have a large eating area both inside and out. However, if you’re feeling a bit twitchy after last month’s bag of crisps, the pub is on 01284 388242.
There’s plenty of parking and a ‘garden’ area, so now all we need is a fine day.

Here’s the list of East Anglian meets for 2004.
May 16th – East Norfolk – The Pier Hotel, Gorleston (thanks to Mike Spivey)
June 20th – East Suffolk – The Victoria, Felixstowe Ferry (and Father’s Day)
July 18th – West Norfolk – The Gamekeeper, Old Buckenham (thanks to Simon Finlay)
August 15th - CRC East Anglian annual Summer Barbeque and fun afternoon
September 19th – East Norfolk – Coltishall – CRC East Anglian annual road run & treasure hunt
October 17th – East Suffolk – The Swan, Hoxne
November 21st – West Norfolk – The Fox Inn, Garboldisham
December 4th – CRC East Anglian annual Christmas meal
December 19th – West Suffolk - White Hart, Boxford

Plus local (and no so local) car events for 2004 (dates to be confirmed)
May 2nd to 3rd - National Kit Car Motor Show, Stoneleigh, Warwickshire
June 12th to 13th – Le Mans 24 Hours (East Anglian mega convoy – 10 cars this year)
June 19th to 20th – National Kit Car Festival, Newark-on-Trent, Notts.
June 25th to 27th - Festival of Speed, Goodwood, West Sussex
July 24th to 25th – Le Mans ‘Classic’, France
August 6th to 8th – Old Timer Grand Prix, Nurburgring, Germany
August 13th to 14th - Great Northern Kit Car Show, Harrogate, North Yorkshire
August 29th – Charity Air / Car Show in aid of East Anglian Air Ambulance, Seething, Norfolk
August 30th – Lavenham Rare Breeds Car Show and Carnival, Lavenham, Suffolk
Sept 3rd to 5th – Revival Meeting, Goodwood, West Sussex
Sept 4th to 5th - The National Kit & Performance Car Show, Castle Donington, Derbys.

Thanks to all you cobrateers, keep calling, and mailing.
Bye for now,
Eileen
Call me on 01206 863804, or mail me at route66@hot2trot.freeserve.co.uk

Eileen & Steve
East Anglian Region rep.