PDA

View Full Version : East Anglia Region - Newsletter May 2004

route66
12-05-04, 02:53 PM
Hi all,
We had a rather wet afternoon for April’s meet, at the Rushbrooke Arms, Sicklesmere. However, that didn’t deter Steve and I as, due to the previous Dax open day tyre calamity (and the fact that the cob was without a radiator) we drove to the pub in my Saab – and stayed dry! No comments on how frequently you’ve seen the Saab recently – things are going to change – honestly!
The weather didn’t deter other eager open topped cobrateers, including Guy Beston in his Sumo and Charlie Hooghkirk in his newly completed, tested and registered AK (which has no weather gear, just a large plastic sheet!)
Also, preferring a dry drive were Simon and Sarah Finlay. But this was probably because Sarah’s foot was still covered in a plaster cast following an ‘incident’ delivering door to door flyers, and falling off the kerb. All this to avoid going skiing and scuba diving with Simon!
The pub was really busy and served a commendable Sunday lunch and a good selection of ales. There was a fair sized queue forming at the front door at ten to midday as we arrived, and there was a veritable scrum to find a table in the dining area amongst the pushchairs and screaming kids desperate to play in the ball pool area.
The general conversation revolved around the usual cobra / Le Mans / SVA subjects, with a side order of scuba diving and gardening. It was once again nice to see the regular Sunday Lunchers, and also especially nice to meet members who don’t venture out too often. Whether we see you once a month, or once a year, you’re always welcome, and it’s really great to catch up with your stories of build progress, or the latest set back in your engine / bodywork / tuning efforts (whilst I catch up on the latest gossip from the ladies!)

The National Kit Car Motor Show at Stoneleigh, Warwickshire was held, as usual at the beginning of May, and, this year, the majority decided to drive in convoy on Bank holiday Monday.
The day got off to a fairly slow start as Steve needed to stop and assist Cefin Mobbs clear out some accumulated muck and reset the float levels of Cefin’s GD’s carburettor. Thus, they arrived late at the Bury St Edmunds rendezvous, to a reception of wagging fingers and tapped watches!
The convoy headed westward on the A14 in fair weather until Cambridge, where it started to rain. Well, not passing up a challenge and reasoning that if you drive fast enough, the rain sails over your head, they pressed on. Until they reached the M1 anyway! Here the spray was curling back onto the inside of the windscreens making for frequent wiping and clearing. However, typically, on arrival at Stoneleigh the skies cleared! You may notice I’m writing this in the third person. That’s because I stayed at home in the dry – I’m not daft.
Due to the ominous weather the show had less attendees, which made it easier to get around all the stands and displays without having to elbow the hoi polloi out of the way.
The drive home had further problems. Simon Finlay, who was following Steve, noticed a fine oily mist spraying from Steve’s Dax’s offside. This turned out to be a slightly loose Jubilee clip on an oil cooler pipe. Thanks Simon for your observation which could have turned out to be quite costly.

If you keep up to date with Snake Torque and the club website at http://www.cobraclub.com/ you will know that Sunday June 6th is the National Cobra Replica Club Day at Rockingham Raceway during the ‘Days of Thunder’ race meeting in Northamptonshire near Kettering.
From the website:
“We will have our own pitch/display area and there is, on top of the 40 car parade lap, the possibility of another 24 cars being used for the driver parade. We have been given a special entry rate of only £10 per person (normally £25) and there will be a full day of racing action and fun to enjoy.
Tickets at this rate must be bought before the event by calling 01536 271528 and quoting ref T06410/COB. You will get with your tickets a pass to show security which will allow you through to our display area. This will be one of the best opportunities the club has ever had to show the public our cars on mass away from the kit car show circuit. It promises to be a fantastic day and as we have space for 200+ cars we can put on a real show.”
We would like to provide a strong showing from our region and convoy to Rockingham. So, please let me know if you intend to convoy so that I can co-ordinate the meet up. As before, we can rendezvous at 08:15 (leaving at 08:30) at the Tesco petrol station next to the A14 in Bury St. Edmunds at the sugar beet factory roundabout. Anyone from the north or west of the region can then tag along as we head west on the A14.

This month’s meet is on Sunday 16th May at 12:00 at the Pier Hotel, Gorleston on Sea, east Norfolk (thanks to Mike Spivey). Gorleston is just south of Great Yarmouth on the A12. The Pier Hotel is at the end Beach Road / Pier Road and also at http://www.pierhotelgorleston.co.uk/
I haven’t formally booked any space at the pub. I suggest that you give them a call on (01493)
662631 if you wish to eat.
Don’t forget you bucket and spade.

Here’s the list of East Anglian meets for 2004.
June 20th – East Suffolk – The Victoria, Felixstowe Ferry (and Father’s Day)
July 18th – West Norfolk – The Gamekeeper, Old Buckenham (thanks to Simon Finlay)
August 15th - CRC East Anglian annual Summer Barbeque and fun afternoon
September 19th – East Norfolk – Coltishall – CRC East Anglian annual road run & treasure hunt
October 17th – East Suffolk – The Swan, Hoxne
November 21st – West Norfolk – The Fox Inn, Garboldisham
December 4th – CRC East Anglian annual Christmas meal
December 19th – West Suffolk - White Hart, Boxford

Plus local (and no so local) car events for 2004 (dates to be confirmed)
June 12th to 13th – Le Mans 24 Hours (East Anglian mega convoy – 10 cars this year)
June 19th to 20th – National Kit Car Festival, Newark-on-Trent, Notts.
June 25th to 27th - Festival of Speed, Goodwood, West Sussex
July 24th to 25th – Le Mans ‘Classic’, France
August 6th to 8th – Old Timer Grand Prix, Nurburgring, Germany
August 13th to 14th - Great Northern Kit Car Show, Harrogate, North Yorkshire
August 29th – Charity Air / Car Show in aid of East Anglian Air Ambulance, Seething, Norfolk
August 30th – Lavenham Rare Breeds Car Show and Carnival, Lavenham, Suffolk
Sept 3rd to 5th – Revival Meeting, Goodwood, West Sussex
Sept 4th to 5th - The National Kit & Performance Car Show, Castle Donington, Derbys.

Thanks to all you cobrateers, keep calling, and mailing.
Bye for now,
Eileen Call me on 01206 863804, or mail me at route66@hot2trot.freeserve.co.uk

a1ohn
13-05-04, 08:41 PM
Hi: what time are you meeting up, would like to come
along with mine if the weather suits..
:tu

route66
02-06-04, 05:29 PM
To where, the regional meet or to Rockingham (or to Le Mans) ?

The meet up details are as above, in the first post.