PDA

View Full Version : Cosworth Powered Euro 427

agwebsites
18-05-01, 03:37 PM
I have decided to get myself a Euro 427 as a road car and to see for myself what they are really like. I have been playing with the idea of putting a Cosworth built engine in a Cobra for a few years now, but until a close study of the Euro didn’t find a Sierra based kit I was happy with and the Jag components are heavy for a smaller engine road going set up and I won’t need the strength they offer.
By the looks of things I should be able to have it running in a weekend and finished off quite soon after that.

The planned spec (could change a bit),

Cosworth supercharged 24v quad cam V6, with all the normal mods. Still under construction so no power figures as yet.
Running gear from a Sierra Cosworth.
Cosworth T5 gearbox or XR4i box, try both and see which I like/holds!
Black Diamond Clutch
Sierra XR4x4 callipers all around with EBC Green pads and race disks.
Scorpio power steering,
Some carbon fibre inside panels.
A little Nitro for when I’m late
Smiths clocks, side pipes, leather throughout etc etc etc.

Objective; to build a more modern road Cobra for normal use. Reduce the weight of the car to allow the use of a more economical engine without sacrificing lower end performance, road going so focusing on the 0-100-0 range.

I have been playing with the idea of going four-wheel drive, a possible option with the Euro 427 by the looks of things by using the running gear from a XR4x4 (don’t know this for a fact). But for the time being she’ll run though the back two.

The engine is going down to Fiero to have the mounts and manifolds made up in the next few weeks and then I’ll put it together.

For those who are interested, the build will be published on a Web Site, address to be added later, when I pull my finger out and do something about it. Until that I will add comments to this post on what I think so far.

Before anyone mentions the fact she’ll be missing a V8, you are preaching to the choir, but this engine should be able to hold her own well against most of the V8 Cobras without the need for a father-in-law with a petrol station.

I’ll be happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the kit if I can.

imported_admin
28-05-01, 07:46 PM
I was down at Alvechurch at the w/e,was that your engine I saw? The welder chap said he was about to set it up in a chassis to make up the mounts and that.
I got mine just before the w/e so now my engine and box are in.The clevelands a bit of a squeeze,and I had to move a couple of brake pipes I'd put in already-(Too much of a hurry!!)but it fits a treat and looks like it grew there!
Next job is a pair of manifolds/fuel system/cobbled ignition wiring and I can fire it up for the first time!!,and maybe run it up and down the drive,just wish the weekends were longer!!

TonyD
11-06-01, 08:03 PM
I was looking at using a Sierra 4x4 as a donor so that I could build a four wheel drive Cobra......unfortunately when I checked with the Fiero Factory they told me that it couldn't be done.......something to do with different wheelbases apparently. So its back to the drawing board for me....Rear wheel drive Sierra Diffs might not be able to handle the sort of power Im looking for...If you do manage to get 4x4 into a Euro 427 Id love to see the results.
cheers,
Tony.

agwebsites
12-06-01, 01:40 PM
With regards to the 4x4, I must say it is something I have thought about but not looked into it in that much depth, as it is Sierra based I thought it would be a possibility. If Fiero Factory say it isn’t possible then I guess it isn’t.

I don’t know how much you are planning to feed through the rear dif, but one of the good things about using a Sierra are that there are quite a few off-the-shelf upgrade parts you can fit. These include both strengthened LSDs and gearboxes that will take a lot of power. While I can’t give you figures off the top of my head if you contact ‘ www.burtonpower.com ’ (based near London) they will be able to tell you everything you might want to know about Sierra upgrades and sell them to you. Not the cheapest but very knowledgeable about the Sierra. If you have worked with Jag parts before you will still find the prices refreshing.

For people who are interested in the build she is nearly rolling.
It is more than possible to have this kit rolling, single handed, in a weekend if you have everything ready to fit. Saturday morning I had all the parts I would need laid out on the garage floor and by Sunday night I could have turned the key if it wasn’t for the for the cooling system, alternator and brakes. Don’t have a radiator yet or a suitable alternator mount and I can’t fit the little Sierra wheels I have over the new rear brake callipers, so have left them off for the time being.

I was disappointed at the beginning that the build manual consisted of a couple of sheets of A4 paper. But to be honest it was more than enough to get the car rolling. Take the Sierra parts and bolt them on. There are no hard to reach parts and everything is exactly the right fit, flows together so well it virtually builds itself. I’ve worked on many production cars that don’t fit together as well. Anyone who can use a spanner could build this car. The most challenging part was working out how to fit the handbrake cables to the handle and that took all of a couple of mins to work out.

So far I have no regrets that I decided to build one. Everyone at Fiero Factory is always very helpful. Even when trying to get my engine into and out of the back of an old Sierra to transport it.

I’ll add more later on as I progresses with the build.

agwebsites
12-05-03, 10:13 PM
Thought I'd publish a couple of build photos for anyone who's interested in the Euro 427.

Cheers,
Andy

http://www.corporanda.com/cos-race.gif

http://www.fierofactory.org

dave
12-05-03, 11:28 PM
Mike Broad of Magnum Engineering built atleast one Cossie 4X4 Cobra back in the mid 1990's.

rocket
18-08-03, 09:16 PM
I would have though it can be done Andy.

What about the dax rush?

They do the Quadra.

Can't wait to see it finished!!

Rgds

Roger:)