PDA

View Full Version : A Chopper is Born

VinceGledhill
09-07-02, 10:57 PM
I'm sure you will have seen the show A Car is born on Discovery Home and Leasure where Mark Evans builds a Pilgrim Sumo. God it's what got me here.

Well starting on Wednesday 16th is a new series. (I've never seen it before anyway)

A chopper is born. Now you kit builders. What about building a helicopter?

Regards
Vince@gledhill.info

wilf
10-07-02, 05:49 PM
So why didn't you build a Sumo, Oh TV-influenced one?

Wilf

robert
10-07-02, 05:58 PM
If I put some wings on my GD, would that be a carplane is reborn????????

Robert
Forum Admin

http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif

ldtopham
10-07-02, 06:01 PM
Rob,
What about just rolling it onto one side, block of wood under rear quarter
and flooring the loud pedal. Them there aerofoil styled rims may just move enough air to get it air born:7

Still can't find my tablets, Lee

robert
10-07-02, 06:04 PM
Yep, thought about that one, but then I would just hover as the bottom ones pushed up and the top ones pushed down. :P :P :P :P

Robert
Forum Admin

http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif

ldtopham
10-07-02, 06:12 PM
Easy peasy! take of the top wheel! Oh I can see me having fun during my build :7 :7

Lee

ldtopham
10-07-02, 06:20 PM
On a more serious note, I don't care too much for Mark Evans but I had always wanted to build/ own a Cobra from being a little sprog. It was one line from the show that started the ball rolling "If you want to build and own a car like this then stop thinking about it and just do it!" So guess I owe the show a little for the inspiration to get started.. . . Mine will be much better of course;)

Lee.

simon
11-07-02, 02:15 AM
"Now you kit builders. What about building a
helicopter?"

Don't get me started........... I've already built a house and a car, I don't think I'd ever be at home if I built a bl**dy helicopter.
Simon

VinceGledhill
11-07-02, 08:15 AM
I went to the Cobra Club meeting and was convinced otherwise.

Regards
Vince@gledhill.info

David
11-07-02, 11:12 PM
Too dangerous and un-natuural!x( x(

David
(Certified aircraft engineer!!)

gonzo
13-10-02, 07:30 PM
Hi Vince,
Mike gorman AKA-GONZO ,spoke to you at meeting today said to see you for some info later, but you had to rush off during the meeting, hope everything is OK! Can't find your bit on headers that you put on the web, but would apreciate any help you can offer,
Re' chopper I thought it was a bike chopper? Doh!! in case you still dont' click I'm the guy with knackerd legs from Ripon.

best regards,
mike.

MIKE-BARBARA-GORM @supanet.com or01765600558. cheers.:7 :7

choogh
14-10-02, 12:24 PM
Been there, done that G-BZKN Cricket Mk IV Gyroplane. (well it looks like a helicopter..just a little bit anyway)
Charlie.
;-) ;-) ;-)

VinceGledhill
14-10-02, 01:38 PM
Any chance of some Pictures Charlie? Was it a kit?

Wouldn't mind building one of those one day. It must go at the back of the queue though. GD next. Then a locost, then.... mmmm Giro.... sounds good.

Regards
Vince
Time served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

choogh
14-10-02, 02:35 PM
Vince,
Trust me you wouldn't want one, they fly like a pig and fall like a stone, the "best" exponent of the marque is Commander Wallis..He really can make them fly, but he is one in a million, regular mortals can fly nearly straight lines, hold height to within a few hundred feet and survive landings..I built from a kit, worked hard on getting approval from the CAA for use of a Mazda rotary engine (best power/weight ratio)gave up and sold on when I was forced to use Volkswagen or a Rotax two stroke..two stroke at 1.5k feet!!!!Ahhhh
Pictures are around somewhere, I dig out and send on.
You being a times served "'leccy" could advise on my starter motor (Chevy Engine) there are two small connections and one Larger (Batt) connection, one of the smaller conns, is marked "S" the other "R". the "S" I assume is to switch, what is the "R" for??
Best Regards
Charlie.
:7 ::)

VinceGledhill
14-10-02, 05:29 PM
Probably a bypass of a Balast Resistor (R=Resistor???) When cranking, battery voltage by-passes the balast.

Can you get a bulb on there to test? If I am right then it will have a positive on it when cranking.

Do I need to explain the balast circuit? Please say no.. ;-) It will be a bit long winded to write an explanation.

Ref the "little nellie" (remember 007 in Goldfinger) I'll leave it then. Thanks for the advice. SWMBO will be pleased.

Regards
Vince
Time served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983