PDA

View Full Version : Favourite roads

maxGD059
10-07-02, 03:25 PM
Hi there
I know this has been done a few times in the motoring press recently but thought it would make a good thread. Having got the choice of a kids tea party or country road blasting on Saturday (weather permitting) I thought the latter infinitely preferable & am looking for ideas. Locally I've two favourites:
1. Fosse Way south of Leics -all the way to Stow on the Wold. (The Romans built roads very straight but there are some good bends)
2. The B road from Market Harborough to Uppingham (& infact all round Rutland Water if your more into views)
Thats just for starters. Anymore? (-not necessarily in East Midlands)

Cheers

Richard
(It'll only be a 5 minute job)

robert
10-07-02, 03:32 PM
The old A50, now the A5001 from Northampton to Leicester especially down through Thornby.

The triangle route near the GD factory with not one, but 2 georgeous sets of S bends!! I have had many a 4 wheel drift through there as you can see if anyone is coming.

Robert
Forum Admin

http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif

maxGD059
10-07-02, 05:24 PM
Top stuff Rob. I forgot that your a 'local' man. The A50 passes my back door (nearly) & I guess I've not been far enough south on it. Will have to investigate

Cheers

Richard

wilf
10-07-02, 05:28 PM
M69 at 5am on a Sunday morning. You might think it's straight, but try it after the loud pedal has been held firmly down for 5 minutes in top. He He.

Wilf

PS - did I say 5am officer?, I meant 6.00am. Or 7.00am.

maxGD059
10-07-02, 05:43 PM
Haven't they just put sneaky speed cameras on one of the bridges just south of the A5? I closed my eyes when I went thru there recently so I couldnt be seen

Cheers

Richard

PS I didnt know the M69 was long enough to travel for 5 minutes with your right foot mashed into the carpet

wilf
10-07-02, 05:56 PM
I wondered about those cameras too, but I have checked, and there is no corresponding second pair, nor any calibrating road markings etc. I now believe they are trafficmaster sensors, they are now using IR cameras on motorways.

And the 5 minutes may have been less! Certainly it was end to end! Allegedly. Last time I did it in the Jeep at WOT it took 8 and a bit minutes (c 115mph). Allegedly.

Wilf

StuartH
11-07-02, 08:58 AM
I have plenty of favourites - fortunately quite a few of them are around the Duxford area :-) Anyone who fancies taking the scenic route, let me know :-)

Stuart

StuartH
11-07-02, 08:58 AM
is that when you reached 100000rpm in 5th? ;-)

agwebsites
11-07-02, 11:49 AM
The Snake Pass :7 :7 :7 :7 :7

And a load of roads in the Peak District, but sorry guys I keep them to myself ;)

Andy

http://www.agsite.co.uk/ag/andy-win.gif

maxGD059
12-07-02, 09:12 AM
I assume you are talking about the infamous Buxton/Macclesfield road & not some 'ancient reptilian courtship ritual'!!

Cheers

Richard

Jamo
30-12-02, 05:04 AM
For the past two years, I have visited your heaven on earth--mostly The South, Wales, The Midlands and areas that I don't what you call them. Please note that my point of comparison is California--which has a great many wonderful routes (I live near Yosemite and the Big Sur areas). While I used rentals, I would love to take a Cobra on the following...

1. Snowdonia and the roads around Portmeiron.

2. Any of the roads approaching Stow-on-the-Wold

3. The road between Bath and Stonehinge

Anyone want to lend me their Cobra next time I visit?

laner
01-01-03, 10:50 PM
Living in the County I heartily concur with those who quote the roads around Stow on the Wold, in fact almost any of the non-dual carrigeway roads in Glos. are pretty spectacular. Here are a few of my personal favourites:

A417 Cirencester to Lechlade and then on to Faringdon and the Lambourn Downs.

The Wye Valley (most in Gwent) from Ross on Wye to Chepstow.

A417 Gloucester to Ledbury.

Worcester to Chester via Kidderminster - Bridgnorth - Telford etc. (OK, none of it's in Glos, but it's not far away!)

If it ever stops raining I shall be reminding myself just how good they are!

Here's hoping for a long dry summer.

I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are missing! :9

Kelvin
02-01-03, 07:50 AM
> The Wye Valley (most in Gwent) from Ross on Wye to Chepstow.

Gets my vote, the roads has it all. But coming the other way most of the twisties are down hill. :)

Kelvin GD 383 stroker.

GUMBALL
02-01-03, 04:59 PM
Spending a great deal of my time driving in and around London and on the "road to hell" M25 my favourite road would have to be any road with no other buggers on it!!! (except anyone who might be "up for it"). }( }( }( :7

GUMBALL

Rodders
31-01-03, 09:23 PM
Hi Richard my favouritr run is in Yorkshire. You drive out of Ingleton
on the B6255 past the White Scar caves and the Ribblehead Viaduct to
Hawes it's about 16m but I love it. When I get my Cobra (mid Feb )I hope to take it up there in the summer and do this run, as I live in Essex it's not just round the corner saddly.

Rodders :-)