PDA

View Full Version : Gatso detectors

Neil O
13-11-02, 12:56 PM
Hi all,
This may have been covered already, but I was wondering if anyone is using a Snooper or similar. If so, which is the best value, and do they work? Of course I will not be breaking the speed limit when I get my Cobra on the road in March, I'm just curious to know where the speed cameras are!
Cheers,}( }(

wilf
13-11-02, 03:59 PM
I have an Origin Bluei unit - works fine, has told me of speed cameras I wouldn't otherwise have noticed (being as they were hidden behind road signs). Only problem is the limited volume of the audible unit when it's fitted in the cob.

NB - this is not a radar detector - it's a GPS based thing. ALso I have seen something called an "Angel" or similar which works the same way.

Wilf

Neil O
13-11-02, 04:40 PM
Wilf,
Do I assume that your unit does not detect mobile trotter held speed guns? This is a requirement in Devon as the swines don't have enough criminals to chase, so they fill their days up by hiding on bridges and behind trees etc!!
Cheers,x(

STEVE G
14-11-02, 07:13 AM
Hi I use a Snooper S5.That detects Gatso,Hand helds and Lasers.
As above has saved me from certain death on a number of occasions. If you have any points on your licence(as I have)just having the unit switched on on the dash keeps you more aware.The snooper has volume control and visual display and is loud enough for the Cobra.Downside it detects automatic doors at a greater distance than cameras.But have found many cameras in retail parks hidden amongst the door signals.Mine came from P.P.ltd 01-244-321300
Steve G

wilf
14-11-02, 08:45 AM
1st Timer - the Bluei thing only shows permanent camera installations, it has no radar detection capability. But it does prot4ect you against non-radar cameras like Truvelo and SPecs. I never got on well with radar detectors - too many false alarms, I suppose you would have to have both for 100% "peace of mind". Or just drive within the speed limit???

Wilf

Neil O
14-11-02, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the responses,
I think there are so many traffic cops in Devon at present, that the S5 maybe my best option.
As a point of interest, one of my wife's mates is a DCI locally and apparently all the 'normal' coppers hate the traffic cops more than we do!!!!
If any of you are coming to Exeter at the weekend, by careful around Cullompton (M5) as there seems to be a 'pen' of traffic cops that hang out there.
Cheers,

STEVE G
15-11-02, 06:47 AM
Been done in Devon 95mph on A3 Exeter.(1997) x( Those points gone now. }(
Steve G.

Neil O
15-11-02, 08:51 AM
Hi, I forgot to mention, if anyone is coming into Exeter on the new A30, watch for the 40 limit as you approach the M5 junction, it is a straight road but the cops hide just over the brow on the left! This apparently is a no tolerance area for speeders, I got caught doing 70, (under heavy braking) when the road was first built. Now they will do you for 45!!!
Cheers,