PDA

View Full Version : High Mileage

iaincobra
26-02-03, 05:27 PM
Does any one use there cobra for upto 25000 miles a year. I fancy buying one to commute. Are they reliable enough if serviced etc. I don't mind getting dripped on and I have no hair to blow about.

Your thoughts please

~~

Miket
28-02-03, 02:05 PM
Iain

They should be reliable if built correctley, only one draw back, 25,000 miles in a Chevy or Ford powered Cobra would cost you in the region of 7000.00 for petrol.

iaincobra
28-02-03, 07:12 PM
Thanks, I thought I would wimp out and go for a 2L originally. I only reckon I would do it for 2 years then rebuild
~~

purplepython
01-03-03, 07:12 AM
i commute 70 miles or so per day in mine (350 chevy). no reliability problems whatsoever......petrol station is a regular haunt, and it is an expensive business, particularly in traffic.....I am averaging around 9 to the gallon.

However, the admiring glances, compliments and snapping tourists more than make up for it.

As for a 2 litre, no disrespect mate, but I'd go for a Seven style roadster as they are much more suited to such a lump. Go for the Cob when oil gets cheaper if you want to commute.;-)

iaincobra
01-03-03, 12:04 PM
Thanks, I was also looking at sevens. I'm also looking at bikes but I don't know if I can hack 2 wheels for 365 days of the year.

>As for a 2 litre, no disrespect mate, but I'd go for a Seven
>style roadster as they are much more suited to such a lump.
>Go for the Cob when oil gets cheaper if you want to
>commute.;-)

TonyD
07-03-03, 02:11 PM
Or go for a more modern engine rather than the gas guzzling boat anchors of yesteryear...........I have a lead footed mate who complains about the 22 mpg he gets from his BMW 540. I have the same engine in my Cobra that probably all in weighs no more than 60% of his car. I anticipate getting near to 30mpg on a run...no bad for supercar performance and with none of the reliability problems caused by tuning stone age motors .......If it ever goes wron whip itdown to the local BMW garage and use the computer diagnostics..

Cheers,

Tony.

All the above is on the proviso that I can wire the ffffing gearbox up !!