PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Garage - a solution

V8VPR
07-05-04, 06:59 PM
Hi All

Like many people I have a "proper" garage that it full to overflowing with years of accumulated junk. I have overcome the problem of housing the car whilst I sort out the garage. The whole thing is very easy to put together. It is intended as a "folding garage" but I found that the bar at the front was low enough to drive the car in and out simply by lifting up the front of the cover. I've also tightened up all the bolts so that it WILL NOT fold and have secured it to the drive with anchor bolts and wheel plates (available from the supplier). Additionally I've recently covered the metal arms of the frame with standard 20mm pipe lagging to protect the paintwork (dirt cheap at DIY stores). I was hoping to attach some photos but the ones I have already taken were at high resolution and will not compress to the 512kb size limit - Doh! I'll take some more at a lower resolution this weekend and post them to this topic.

If you are interested in finding out more in the meantime you can visit the suppliers website at http://www.cover-systems.com/contactuspage.htm or e-mail Hayley at mail@cover-systems.com (please quote reference V8VPR).

I have no connection with this company other than that I am very satisfied with their products and superb customer service.

robert
07-05-04, 07:09 PM
(please quote reference
>V8VPR).
>
>I have no connection with this company other than that I am
>very satisfied with their products and superb customer
>service.

Hmm, you have no connection, then why quote V8VPR, are you on commission? Sorry for being skeptical, but, erm, I am.

N20 COB, do you think this is one of those ads we were talking about?

V8VPR
07-05-04, 07:23 PM
Hi Robert

I can fully understand your scepticism - no, I'm not on commission, that's why I added the caveat that you have quoted. I was hoping to get the company concerned to consider a discount for members of the Club and thought that by asking potential respondees to quote a reference it would help the company to see where the enquiries were coming from. If you want to delete this Topic, and arrange for the Club representatives to contact the company direct to see what can be arranged then I have no problem with that. I specifically asked the company NOT to canvas the Club themselves as I am sure that you receive more than enough junk mail already.

Sorry if I've acted out of turn but I am genuinely pleased with the garage and wanted to help others in a similar predicament to mine.

robert
07-05-04, 07:36 PM
Nope, not going to delete it, might pop round and speak to them as they are only round the corner from me.

Keep me informed on how many people are referred through though and based on that, i might have a chat with them and see if we can put something in the mag.

V8VPR
07-05-04, 07:59 PM
Hi Robert

Thanks for that, excellent!

I've suggested a couple of "improvements" to the company (e.g the pipe lagging on the frame, and the fixing of the cover to the frame) that they say they are already considering. Hopefully a new improved version will be available soon.

I shall certainly keep you informed of any responses and will be speaking with Hayley on Monday as I now want one of their "wing covers" so that I don't scratch the paintwork when I'm leaning over to work under the bonnet. I didn't even get a discount on that and it's only 14 quid !!!

:tu :tu :tu

plod
07-05-04, 09:39 PM
Robert....

Who on Earth is N20COB?

And I would say ol bean that the chap has just joined so give him a break. We could all do with a garage, even me as you know..

Actually I did get a garage and put it down the far end of the garden (built by Ford ha ha ha ha..)

Still, it's interesting that he should quote his onw username for correspondance. But I'm ok with it if you are.

However, dont look anywhere before you look at......

I have details.. Proper sized, concret built in brick, spa, sandstone finishes and costs pennies.....

Paul

plod
07-05-04, 09:42 PM
On addition,

It could bee a sneaky way of V8VPR (visible panty region }( ) making a few quid on th eside as he introduces other customers to the company. 1200 at 50 a go...?

Blimey is that 60K? Maybe I should mention where I got my garage from after all, be able to buy a GD then..

Paul {-}

robert
07-05-04, 09:45 PM
>Robert....
>
>Who on Earth is N20COB?

If I said Paul, then every Paul would jump in.......

>
>And I would say ol bean that the chap has just joined so give
>him a break. We could all do with a garage, even me as you
>know..

Being skeptical in my old age...

>Actually I did get a garage and put it down the far end of the
>garden (built by Ford ha ha ha ha..)

That will never work properly then. :-)

>Still, it's interesting that he should quote his onw username
>for correspondance. But I'm ok with it if you are.

Live and let live, my new motto from now on.:sm :sm

V8VPR
07-05-04, 09:46 PM
Paul/N20COB/Plod

What? Sorry mate, je ne comprends pas? Been on the sherberts again?

robert
07-05-04, 09:46 PM
>Blimey is that 60K? Maybe I should mention where I got my
>garage from after all, be able to buy a GD then..

You could buy mine for that, hmmm, you and 600 odd hp, that ought to be fun. :tu }( :P

robert
07-05-04, 09:48 PM
>Paul/N20COB/Plod
>
>What? Sorry mate, je ne comprends pas? Been on the sherberts
>again?

What, me him or you, confused, you will be!!

V8VPR
07-05-04, 09:51 PM
I tink dat de copper has been at da drinks cabinet? Ne'est ce pas?

V8VPR
07-05-04, 09:54 PM
Visible Panty Region?

V8VPR
07-05-04, 10:04 PM
I am begining to have my doubts about the sincerity of N20COB - are you truly a serving officer, or just a "Special" - yuk - spit?

robert
07-05-04, 10:06 PM
>I am begining to have my doubts about the sincerity of N20COB
>- are you truly a serving officer, or just a "Special" - yuk -
>spit?

There is nothing wrong with specials, at least they get off their backsides and help. :} :}

plod
07-05-04, 10:08 PM
What's wrong with a special?

Paul

V8VPR
07-05-04, 10:09 PM
Let's let N20COB reply for himself - are you "regular" or "special"?

V8VPR
07-05-04, 10:11 PM
Answer the question "Plod"

robert
07-05-04, 10:17 PM
>Let's let N20COB reply for himself - are you "regular" or
>"special"?

Whats wrong with specials?

Purple AK
07-05-04, 10:19 PM
>Answer the question "Plod"

Only bonified Friends call call him Plod! Officer to you.
x(

V8VPR
07-05-04, 10:20 PM
As I suspected - a "Special" - damned uniform wearer. Lots of people do that job for very good reasons, but to pass yourself off as a genuine plod in this Forum is unforgivesble. Here speaks a retired "genuine" ex-Traffic Officer.

plod
07-05-04, 10:23 PM
Lets just get this in perspective.

I was one of the first if not the first to reply to your post. i had one jest at your name and clearly, to me anyway, this was in jest. Since then, you have questioned my sincerity, stated that I'm drunk and now almost provided me with some sort of ultimatum about what I do for a living.

What exactly is so bad about a special. i know some have some sort of power trip, but they do it for free. They put effort and time and commitment into their community. They go into houses where people are getting their heads smashed in.. Why would they possibly want to do that?

I am not sure where you're coming from really to be honest, but I hope something changes..

And for your benefit, I am a serving Police Officer.

Paul

plod
07-05-04, 10:27 PM
Good job you were traffic mate. Assumptions like that and non investigative work would get you no where else in the Police

Paul

robert
07-05-04, 10:37 PM
Spud & N20 COB

There are a wide variety of people on the forum. We have a couple of JPs, one Judge, a couple of doctors, white collar workers, civil servants, builders, plumbers, members of the armed forces etc etc etc.

There is a real mixed bunch here, with one thing in common, a love for Cobras, and helping each other out through difficult times before, during and after builds.

As with any community, real life or online, there are personalities.

Have fun, but please play nicely. If you have an argument, take it to the cockpit or via PM.

Thanks for your cooperation, and please, lets not get personal, it just drags the whole community down, mickey taking we can do, but thats about it please.

V8VPR
07-05-04, 10:45 PM
Paul, this is not the place to be discussing our differences. Please see above for your "non-sensical" comments. The spelling/grammar/content was enough to make me suspect that you'd been at the sherberts and/or were not a genuine "plod". Believe me mate, I've been there, seen it, done it, worn the T shirt, and lost it (I signed up in 1976).

You claim to be a serving police officer (still under probation? possibly) I still doubt that. Would you mind if I pass on your above comments to your OCD? The OCD (Ch Supt) happens to be a friend of mine.

plod
07-05-04, 10:51 PM
You have mail.

Paul

Purple AK
07-05-04, 10:56 PM
Spud.
Who or what gave you the right to come on to this Forum and wind people up! Have you been banned from Piston Heads or something? Please take you malicious comments and park them in your temporary garage along with your over zelous ego. :}

plod
07-05-04, 10:58 PM
And his reply.......

You are one sad ####

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 07 May 2004 23:51
To: v8viper@domain.com
Subject: CRC Forum Notification: You have new message in your inbox

V8VPR
07-05-04, 11:09 PM
Purple

Are you blind? We have a "member" purporting to be a serving Police Oficer. As a member of NARPO I have the right to challenge that supposition. "Paul" or "N20COB" or whatever he may choose to call himself has presented himself as a serving police officer. I still doubt that fact.

Purple AK
07-05-04, 11:18 PM
Spud.
This is getting really silly now! I know Paul personally, and I can vouch for his credentials. He is exactly what he says he is! You however are becoming a pain! :}

V8VPR
07-05-04, 11:25 PM
B*****s! He is a uniform wearer!

Purple AK
07-05-04, 11:52 PM
Night Neil!

mclark
09-05-04, 10:22 AM
Also knowing Paul as a good friend I can defiantely say his not a "special" but a "real" one.

Crickey, I think you retired at the right time:} :}

Michael

Neil O
10-05-04, 11:24 AM
Hey Paul/Plod/N20COB, whoever you are.......

I think you are the nicer half of CobraKev's split personallity {-}

Hey Spud, leave him alone, it makes a change to chat/mail with a traffic cop who hasn't got his head up his arse. I reckon you are one of the 'up the arse' bunch!! :P

If he wasn't a plod why on earth would he want to say he was on a car based forum? He's had plenty of stick for it and always come back with a joke. So fair play to the guy. :D

Cheers,
Neil. :D

Paul, boy am I glad you are coming to Le Mans........}(

plod
11-05-04, 01:33 PM
>Purple
>
>Are you blind? We have a "member" purporting to be a serving
>Police Oficer. As a member of NARPO I have the right to
>challenge that supposition. "Paul" or "N20COB" or whatever he
>may choose to call himself has presented himself as a serving
>police officer. I still doubt that fact.

V8VPR,

Only reason you might challenge is for your own interest, and not I think under the banner of NARPO.. However, if you can show me that you can, I'll stand down.

Paul

COBRA KEV01
11-05-04, 03:13 PM
V8VPR
As i also have met Paul,i can also tell you that,he is a bloody nice bloke!
I am also looking forward to seeing him this year for a pint and a spliff.He is a top bloke.
Indeed i also have a freind who was a Special,and if you knew what you were talking about you would know that Specials have to put up with a lot of the S**T that you or i would rather not have to sort out,like kicking out time at the weekend for example.
Maybe you would fancy getting spat at and assaulted,i know that i wouldnt.
:(

V8VPR
11-05-04, 05:36 PM
Look guys

I didn't start this Topic off to cause offence, but I do object to people who should know better jumping in with both feet offering peurile acronyms for my login, and effectively accusing me of trying to use the Club for financial gain.

As for "Specials" I had offered praise for those who do the job for genuine reasons, and criticism for those who do it for an ego trip. Some of my best friends are "retired" Specials, and they've all taken light-hearted "stick" from us "Regulars" over the years.

Personally, I've had my fair share of riots, street-fighting, yobs, and violent domestics over the years, thank you very much, and am not sorry to be on the sidelines now. I hope that my NARPO Membership continues for many years to come.

Good luck in his career to Paul/Plod/N20 COB if he genuinely is as he claims, a "Regular", and I'm sure he is a nice bloke when you meet him, but on this particular occasion the comments were unwarranted. We have now conversed by private e-mail and I hope that that is now an end to the matter. Who knows, I may even buy him a drink to celebrate his E.O.B.G.O. in years to come. (Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal - affectionately known as the Every Old B*****s Got One).

I'm not going to belabour the point any longer (thank god, I hear them cry) and am now going to see if my weekend repair work has fixed the overheating problem on the Viper. Then hopefully I can get on with the timing adjustment, air filter fitting, carb balancing .......

plod
11-05-04, 06:12 PM
Spud.

I'm nearly 36 years old. I have always been involved in careers which serve the public. I joined the Police fairly late at 30 yrs old. I absolutely love the job to bits. I wont get my full service. I have seen good old response work and got my firearms ticket. i spent 2 years on armed response which I think is the best job in any Police force.

I am now back on division and hoping to take my skills to the POlice dog unit.

I have some very good stories and bet you have more. Actually serving in the job males me appreciate people whao are able to help even more, specials, pnco's etc..

I have wanted a cobra for just about as long as you served in the job to be honest and last year I was lucky enough to get one built to my spec for me. I came across this site by accident and good fortune. I love it as much as the car itself. I know zip about cars and can post only about bad and mad times with my car and I inherently take the p1ss out of anything. In about 10 weeks, I am undertaking the dream of my life and taking a frien to Le Mans in the cob. I will be meeting with another in his cob on French soil and driving 150 miles through the countryside and camping/slumming it big style with tens of others all there for the same thing.

I hope you can appreciate that I am wellpleased wih my lot. I take great offence at being sneered at. I never gave any impression that I was anything else than a cobra loving idiot, and that on the side, I was a serving Police officer..!

Lots of decent people here know what it is that I do and quite frankly that's fine. I know they're decent because I have talked with them.

I took great offence mate that you would challenge me openly about what I do........ You joined the site and seemingly within hours made assumptions. I appreciate your background that having served years, I too would be annoyed of anyone pretending to do what we do/did. I just cannot see what it was I said that made that impression. I have reflected, but still cant see it..

I have this time been on the sherbets, and this will provide me with an excuse that I missed something out, but generally, the message is right.

And I think you owe me a beer..... or 20!

Paul

V8VPR
11-05-04, 06:48 PM
Blimey Paul, firearms qualified with eyesight like that ...? What did you miss?

OK. Let's start with

>On addition, It could bee a sneaky way of V8VPR (visible panty >region ) making a few quid on th eside as he introduces other >customers to the company. 1200 at 50 a go...? Blimey is that 60K? >Maybe I should mention where I got my garage from after all, be >able to buy a GD then..

Followed by ...

>Good job you were traffic mate. Assumptions like that and non >investigative work would get you no where else in the Police

And finally ...

>You are one sad ####
(this one might actually have been directed at Robert looking back on it ...?)

I think we're two of kind when it comes to automatically taking the P1ss but from now on let's wait until we know the other person a bit better first, eh? I'm letting this one go now - I think we'd actually get along rather well, given the chance. Enjoy your sherberts tonight and definitely enjoy Le Mans (will you be able to sit down for that long - ha! ha!)

I look forward to more inane banter soon!

robert
11-05-04, 07:16 PM
>>You are one sad ####
>(this one might actually have been directed at Robert looking
>back on it ...?)

Actually, this was a copy of a PM you sent to someone.

Spud, do you have a name or are you always going to hide behind a pseudonym?

plod
11-05-04, 07:36 PM
Paul/N20COB/Plod

What? Sorry mate, je ne comprends pas? Been on the sherberts again?

I tink dat de copper has been at da drinks cabinet? Ne'est ce pas?

I am begining to have my doubts about the sincerity of N20COB - are you truly a serving officer, or just a "Special" - yuk - spit

Let's let N20COB reply for himself - are you "regular" or "special"?

Answer the question "Plod"

As I suspected - a "Special" - damned uniform wearer. Lots of people do that job for very good reasons, but to pass yourself off as a genuine plod in this Forum is unforgivesble. Here speaks a retired "genuine" ex-Traffic Officer.

Jusy so we're equal Mr V8vpr... Cant have you multi posting alone. Any chance of a first name, Just so when you buy me that drink, I'll know who its from. I know at least 3 V8 vipers..

And we both know where the sad #### post came from dont we?

Paul,

Looking forward to my 10th birthday.. {-} {-}

Purple AK
11-05-04, 07:41 PM
Try Phil

mclark
11-05-04, 07:43 PM
Oi Plod!!

Stop this banter, I want to go out to the garage to start on the car but can't until you stop :P

Or I get my wireless connection sorted on my laptop which I hope should be tonight.

Hic

Clarky

plod
11-05-04, 08:08 PM
listen Clarky, go to the garage now else you can have some too..

Paul...

mclark
11-05-04, 08:13 PM
Got to wait for Mrs C to get out the bath:} :}

Wouldn't mind but I'm half way through fitting the windscreen.

Plus, Gone in 60 Seconds has just come on!!!

You know what that means mmmmmmmmmmmmm...............

My favorite.................. Mustang GT500 Eleanour

One day my cobra will have a friend.

Michael

Purple AK
11-05-04, 08:17 PM
Micheal.
No telly in the garage? :}
Cheers

mclark
11-05-04, 08:26 PM
Chris,

Everything but a tele :}

Just got my wireless network setup at home so at least I have my laptop and you guys close by!!

Just need a web cam now so you can all watch me working on the car from the comfort of your chair.

Michael

Purple AK
11-05-04, 08:34 PM
Guy on the Eagle sites got a wireless laptop with led keys! }(
Lays in bed at 1.30am posting :}
Cheers

Neil O
13-05-04, 07:18 PM
DAMN !!

I go away to Germany for a few days just when it's gets interesting. x(

Still, I reckon 'Visible Panty Region' was quite funny really.
Just shows my obvious lack of intelligence I suppose. :P

Cheers,
Neil.

Ps Pauline, hows your extra arse healing?

mclark
13-05-04, 07:21 PM
Neil,

It hasn't healed, he's learnt how to talk out of it :P :P

Michael

Purple AK
13-05-04, 07:35 PM
Sorry Guys, Pauls not able to speak at the moment }( Had a slight mishap with the Keyboard :} Awaiting replacement :-(

mclark
13-05-04, 08:05 PM
Always said he couldn't handle his beer!

Hope he keeps to shandy while we're in Le Man:)

Shouldn't take too long to find a replacement for Paul surely.

Purple AK
13-05-04, 08:12 PM
>Shouldn't take too long to find a replacement for Paul
>surely.
>
>
Any one in particular in mind {-} {-}

mclark
13-05-04, 08:15 PM
For starters

http://www.cobraclub.com/crcforum/user_files/4625.jpg

kdavies3
13-05-04, 09:50 PM
OI! how did you get a picture of my eldest?
19 and covered in bum fluff.
You can all take the PEE at Rockingham.

http://www.woodoouk.eclipse.co.uk/Wales.gif

Kev Davies
Dax, 383ci Chevy Stroker, Tremec TKO
South Wales

Keith S
20-05-04, 03:50 PM
Whats all this got to do with a temporary garage anyway?

Miket
23-05-04, 10:00 PM
I've only left you lot for 5 weeks and look what happens