PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Mk III Inner Body Panels

AndyC
03-01-03, 08:23 PM
Having fun fitting the rear wheel arches on the Sumo. Trial fitted the inner body panels today - they leave a gap big enough to sink Titanic again at the rear of the cockpit - I need to make a triangular section about 8 inches tall to make the panels fit the body/chassis - anyone else had a similar problem or is it a duff set of panels that I need to return to them?

Any wisdom appreciated x( x( x(

sideoiler
03-01-03, 09:07 PM
Mine were only very roughly trimmed and required alot of trimming but did eventually fit with 1/8" gap max .On initial fit they looked awful,but after all they are only flat sheet.If you do have severe problems lay a piece of polythene on a flat surface and lay glass on to it this will give you sheet to bond to your exhisting wings

breskit
03-01-03, 11:03 PM
Mine were larger than required and I ended up trimming quite a lot off so they would fit. Should be easy enough to make up some additional glass to fit. Given that you would need to glass them in anyway, it may not be to big a problem, but with an 8 inch gap you would be better making a flat sheet first to fill this.

Regards,
Tony B

Bob
04-01-03, 08:01 AM
Its only fibre Glass so make the fit. First you should be aware that this is a bad time of year to glass in panels, unless your garage is heated. Secondly dont use more hardener to make the glass go off because of the low temperature, this will create a lot of heat and cause the inner to pull on the outer skin, result ripply panels good on abs but very bad on Cobras. Use the minimum amount of hardener even if it takes hours to cure. I found this out the hard way. It took about three weeks for my mistake to show up but show up it did. So be careful. Happy New Year.

AndyC
04-01-03, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. Garage slightly heated by the central heating boiler, but not properly per se. Where I've been glassing in the rear wheel arch, the resin has taken about 12-18 hours to set. I'e tended to use less than the recommended amount of hardener 'cos I'm slow at glassing!:7

Dan
04-01-03, 10:27 AM
I collected my body kit almost over a year ago. The inner panels got dumped in the loft so as not to take up valuable space. Went to fit them a few months ago and realised that they were both for the same side x( So I ended up having to make my own inner pannels.

Very easy if you use an interwoven matt of fibreglass. Simply cut it to the correct shape, wet the top edge of where the matt is to be hung with a small amount of resin wait 5-10 minutes for the resin to start gelling and then push the matt on to it,paint a small amount of resin over the top of matt where it makes contact with the body then sit back and wait for it to fully cure, Repeat along the bottom edge. By the end of a weekend you should have the matt secured around all the edges and it should also be taught like a drum. simple job remains of coating both sides of the matt with resin. I found it easier to start on the underside first.

Fiberglass materials can be bought online from http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/