PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension, Steering wheel and Loom

brianp
20-02-03, 07:12 PM
Three questions for anyone who can assist me:

Upper wishbone on the front suspension. One side is shorter than the other. Which way round should this be mounted - shortside nearer the front or rear of the car? Have checked out various diagrams and buildpages and cannot fathom this one out.

Steering wheel. Do I really need to get out two prise bars (whatever these are) and extend my Sierra steering wheel column?

Any guidenace on fitting the wiring loom. Do I meed grommets when feeding wires through the bulkhead or will the sealant do? Where do the realys etc get positioned?

Thanks

Brian

breskit
21-02-03, 09:40 AM
Brian,
Trying to recall from memory, the longer side goes towards the front of the car. See this picture for details. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony.breski/images/brakelines4.jpg

As for the steering column, yes you do need to extend it. If you don't do this, then the body shell will not fit on properly as your steering wheel and instrument stalks will be too close to your dashboard. To extend mine (as I didn't have a vice) I use a pair of mole grips on the end of the column and then prised it out using a screwdriver. Mark the column with a piece of tape to note where the outer column starts before you start extending it. This way you can see home much you have extended it by.

As for gromments or sealant, I would stick with grommets. I think the manual shows the realys on the inside of the drivers footwell. That is where I placed mine, next to my fusebox.

Have fun,
Tony B
---
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony.breski

dave jenkins
21-02-03, 11:18 PM
Brian,
Seems you are at a similar stage of your build to me, I picked up my chassis on the 8 Feb. The top wishbone didn't seem right either way around. The correct way is, the side with the greater distance between the bush and the first weld goes to the front of the car.

Not sure about the steering column as I haven't looked at mine yet.

As for the "loom" check it out carefully, mine only had the cable for one brake light. The connectors for the column switches were not all the correct size. I replaced these with the Ford connectors.

Don't be tempted to use anything other than grommets.

Once your loom is as you want it, I would suggest you tape it up properly, as it shoud have been when supplied, with loom tape, (non sticky).
Dave.
(It's a kit car)!

brianp
22-02-03, 11:18 AM
Thanks Tony and Dave

Really appreciated.

Dave - Have you finished your rear suspension and drive shafts yet? I should have mine done this wekeend and be starting on the brake lines. I got my chassis in November but only really started assembly this year

dave jenkins
25-02-03, 07:25 PM
Hi Brian,
sorry it took so long to reply, time seems at a peimium these days. I've not fitted the driveshafts yet. The manual said to mount the trailing armes in the top of the 3 holes to start with. I assume the top refered to is when the chassis is the correct way up? as the chassis is showen up-side-down in the manual, "for clarity".
What donor are you useing? I went for Granada.
Dave.

brianp
25-02-03, 10:11 PM
Hi Dave

Granada doner on my kit as well - discs all round!!:-)

The trailing arms for the Granada should be in the middle holes according to Tony at Pilgrim.

Have just finsished auditing and labeling my wiring loom. It took 3 hours to complete. You are right - there is certainly something missing on the rear lights.

I managed to get the front brake lines built at the weekend. My challenge now is fitting the brake pads to the rear calipers - it is driving me round the bend...

Brian