PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid leaks

perky
28-05-03, 07:51 AM
I need some advice please,

having got the brake pipes fitted to the car, I have tested for leaks and non were evident at the time. however, after a day or so I find fluid has seeped through the bleed valves. I have replaced them all as I thought I may have under/overtightened, but still I get a very small amount of leakage, any ideas what i am doing wrong ?

Dave

' and it was going oh so well '

Philip
31-05-03, 11:30 AM
Hi,
have you fitted the correct bleed nipples? What condition are the cylinders in? Is it leaking from all 4? If its just the rears, are these sierra drums, cos there dirt cheap to replace.
Phil

perky
01-06-03, 08:55 AM
hi

yup, all brand new parts front and back, I have even replaced the new parts in case originals were at fault,

Dave

' and it was going oh so well '

Philip
01-06-03, 05:32 PM
Hi Dave,

can you tell if its leaking from the thread or from the hole in the nipple?

Phil

perky
04-06-03, 08:48 AM
Hard to tell if it is from the hole or the threads, why ? , what ideas might you have for either ? ,

Regards
Dave

'and it was going oh so well'

agwebsites
04-06-03, 04:52 PM
When you bleed the nipples a little bit of fluid is left in the nipple after tightening them up. As you say it is only a very little bit there is a chance it could just be this little bit seeping out.

A bit of good quality kitchen paper screwed up into a tight point then inserted into the hole in the nipple will soak up what is left and then if nothing else leaks out youíre ok.

Hope thatís all the problem is,
Andy

http://www.corporanda.com/cos-race.gif

http://www.fierofactory.org

perky
04-06-03, 11:48 PM
Hi Andy

yup, have tried this, bit still get fluid traces,

back to the drawing board

Dave

'and it was going oh so well'

AndyC
06-06-03, 05:51 PM
Have you tried looking at the seat of the bleed nipple. I got a weep from one of the joints on my brake lines and there was a tiny piece of swarf that had got in and ruined the seat - literally a speck of metal and it only dripped every couple of days. Had to make a whole new section of pipe....

Maybe worth a go.....

perky
08-06-03, 10:33 PM
thanks for that advise, it must be something like that so I will check it out and let you know if it helps

regards
Dave