PDA

View Full Version : Sumo ground clearance

Steve-J
25-06-03, 02:49 PM
Hi folks

I'm just in the final stages of completing a Pilgrim Sumo ready for the SVA in 3 weeks.
One thing that really alarms me is the lack of ground clearance under the sump (Rover v8.) Does anyone know what the clearance should be as I only have 4inches (ooh...er) with the springs fully compressed and 3 inches with them set correctly.

Also..
I have been told that it is vital to get the corner weights set up but cannot find any mention of this on the forum.
Could you help please..
Many thanks

Steve

r0lex
25-06-03, 09:35 PM
A good measurment is that the centre of the headlight should be 23 inches from the ground, mine are 21.5 inches. But does not give me any ground clearance problems.

r0lex

Paul B
26-06-03, 01:57 PM
A better guide to the clearance, or lack of, would be the clearance between the top steering knuckle and the exhaust manifold ( if you are using side pipes).

I have recently raised my engine to try and gain more clearance as the knuckle joint was just touching the exhaust wrap, but then found the pipework above the engine is rubbing on the bonnet.

I found a happy medium but still only have around 4 inches ground clearance so bumps have to be carefully driven over or around !

For the SVA, it things like the headlight height that are critical, so set them then worry about the ground clearance.

Hope the SVA goes ok.

Steve-J
26-06-03, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the replies Gents, waiting for the SVA is probably the worst part of the build.

Steve:f

m eeley
26-06-03, 06:23 PM
As the other replies I have about 4 inches of ground clearance to the sump.

Given that you haven't got that much suspension travel you should be ok.

I haven't had any problems yet (touch wood) just be careful over speed bumps and raised manholes.

Good luck with SVA.