PDA

View Full Version : electrics

tonym
26-06-03, 04:50 PM
Afternoon chaps,
Having a few problems with some electrics, need to get this sorted it's the only thing stopping me starting the engine for the first time in it's new sumo home. Right, on the rover V8 with a Lucas DM8 distributor i have placed the ignition module away from the engine but there are three wires coming off the module, any idea where they go??? Do they go anywhere??? Question two, in the sumo build manual it states a wire (white/black) needs to be conected from the ignition coil to the distributor, is this from the plus or negative side of the coil and where on the dizzy is the wire conected? Or is that part of the above point?? Question three, am i right in thinking that the lucas DM8 does not have a ballast resistor and therefore does not need the white/green wire to the starter motor? If it does where/how????

:} :} :} :} :} :} :} HELP:} :} :} :} :} :} :}

m eeley
26-06-03, 06:17 PM
If it is of any help...

I have a 35DM8 distributor and RPI power amp module.

Wiring for that combination is as follows:

Ign Module:
Red - +12V (this can piggy back with coil +ve)
Brown(Amp Output) - Ignition Coil -ve
Black - good earth point on chassis.

The module then has a screened cable (2 core) which connects to the distributor pickup wires.

Just from memory, I don't think you need to worry about the white/black wire mentioned in the build manual.

Correct - no ballast resistor.

I hope this helps. If I can be of any further assistance please shout.

tonym
10-07-03, 05:03 PM
thanks for your advice, i've now sorted the problem and started the engine for the first time today, still grinning, once again thanks