PDA

View Full Version : RV8 Engine wires - what goes where ?

perky
18-07-03, 09:43 PM
HELP!!!!!!

I am planning to start my RV8 tomorrow and have a few question re wiring

The SUMO build manual claims to have 5 engine wires of generous length, included is a reference to a thick brown live feed for the starter. My loom has only 2 thick brown leads, one which looks about the right length for the alternator, the other is long enough to go right the way round to the near side and finish where my live battery post is, So am I a wire missing or should I have received a separate thick brown cable to connect from the starter direct to the live feed on the battery ?

One of the engine wires is for the starter solenoid, but looking at my RV8 starter (viewing from front of the engine) there is a solenoid lead attached to a terminal at the top and another solenoid lead attached to a terminal at the bottom, could you tell me what connects where.

I am sure that the answer will be obvious but your help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
‘ and it was going oh so well ‘

TINKA
18-07-03, 10:31 PM
Hi Dave just going out does this Help
Martin

perky
19-07-03, 12:27 AM
Hi Martin

Bloody brilliant, thanks for that.

If any one knows about the wire from the solenoid to the balast resister please advise

Regards
Dave
' and it was going oh so well '

tonym
23-07-03, 02:35 PM
Hi dave hope you got the wiring sorted, if not then i've just finished mine, call me and i;ll try and talk you through any problems

perky
23-07-03, 08:40 PM
Hi Tony

Thanks for the offer of a phone call.

Things have moved on and I managed to sus things out and to my great surprise the RV8 fired up first time - brilliant. Yet to sort out timing with a strobe and what with no exhaust the tickover is lumpy but seems ok further up the revs.

I have not wired up the Sierra alternator as I cannot work out where the thick brown lead goes. I bought the unit from halfords and on the back there are two ring terminals labeled 'w' and 'b+' and there are 2 very large spade terminals and one normal spade terminal (all three grouped together)

Any ideas ?

Regards
Dave

tonym
24-07-03, 12:14 AM
Dave
forget the ring terminals, use the spade terminals instead. the smaller one is for the ignition light and connects to the brown/yellow wire, the two larger spades connect to the thick brown wire and the slightly thinner brown wire that come connected together on the pilgrim loom, seperate them attach spade conectors and there you go. you end up with battery to starter motor, thick brown wire from starter motor to rear of alternator, slightly thinner brown wire from alternator to ignition switch and brown/yellow from alternator to ignition light. hope thats clear

perky
25-07-03, 12:29 AM
Tony

great it now makes sense, off i go to get some chunky spade femails and insulators and then I will fit them as you suggest.

Thanks
Dave