PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox woes

Keith S
20-09-03, 01:45 PM
Hi Guys,
I wonder if anyone can solve my gearbox problem. i have a RV8/LT77 setup in my Sumo.
I have set up the clutch cable as suggesteted by Pilgrim, the Granada cable, the large pedal quadrant etc. I am using Castrol synthetic oil in the box as per RPI engineering. The complete clutch is new. When the engine is cold I can engage gears ok, but after a few miles of driving the gearchange becomes progressively more difficult and notchy. Reverse becomes impossible to select with the engine running, the only way to reverse is to engage it and restart the engine. in all other respects the gearbox is fine with no whining or other noise etc: I have tightened up the cable but to no avail.
any ideas?
ps I am away for a week so if you ask me a question please don't think I'm being rude by not replying!

Paul B
23-09-03, 01:58 PM
Was it always this way or has it been prgressively worsening ?

breskit
25-09-03, 04:33 PM
I thought most people run with ATF in the gearbox. This seems to be the norm and is what I am running in mine, with no problems so far.

Could be worth changing. Normal ATF will be far cheaper than the synthetic too.

HTH
Tony B
---
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony.breski

Dan
26-09-03, 05:42 PM
I would start looking at the gearbox side first - I don't believe it would be the cable operation as this wouldn't degrade with heat it is somthing that either works well or not at all.

The fluid used will make a difference, when was the last time the gearbox oil was changed?

Dan ~ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/danny.mann/

Keith S
29-09-03, 08:01 PM
Thanks for your replies. The oil was fresh when I did the build and its done about 700 miles since I put it on the road. I did speak to Tony Holmes today who also thinks it could be the oil and to try ATF. A job for next weekend. having also spoken to Mike at Pilgrim he has raised doubts about the correct operation of the automatic adjuster on the pedal so I'll have another look at that as well. What is odd about the whole thing is that the clutch bites at a point that i would consider normal, ie. not at the bottom of the travel.
Oh well, just another minor obstacle!