PDA

View Full Version : Brake decelleration valve

jeff
28-12-03, 11:54 PM
I am running sierra vented disks at the front and plain disks at the rear, do I need to to fit the brake decelleration valve ?.I did not fit this on my robin hood ( drum rears) and it passed sva no probs but I am not do sure with disks on the back.

jeff

beanpole
29-12-03, 11:54 AM
Jeff,

I fitted the decelleration valve to my Robin Hood, it was noted by the tester who was pleased to see it fitted, who said it would help with the test.

I have also fitted it to my Sumo, (see build pics on my web site), just to be on the safe side. I have Granada disks all round.

Steve

:tu

Daz Johnston
29-12-03, 04:27 PM
Same as me. Had it on the Robin Hood, and I now have it on my Granada set up on the Sumo.

Is this a standard progression in the kit car world; Robin Hood to Sumo to ??????

:D

Daz

PrivateVoid
29-12-03, 08:27 PM
I have scorpio disks all round, and was actually planning on installing a brake decelleration, but can someone tell me what type/brand, and how to install it ?

The guy at Pilgrim here in Belgium told me he never installed one of those on any of the Sumo that he builds.

Michael

jeff
01-01-04, 12:11 PM
reckon so Daz, after building a Hood it has to get easier LOL. must admit I do miss mine

jeff

beanpole
01-01-04, 09:03 PM
Michael,

As last tiem Igot mine from a Sierra at teh scrapyard, found on the inside nearside inner wing, just in front of the bulkhead.

Steve

Daz Johnston
01-01-04, 11:37 PM
Jeff,

you're not wrong! Entering and leaving roundabouts is just not the same in the diesel car I am running at the moment! }( I am really looking forward to getting out and about in the Sumo. I plumped for the 2.9i V6 scorpio and am getting fairly close to start thinking about SVA paperwork.

Daz

milner
06-01-04, 01:33 PM
I took the Pilgrim manual at it's word.

It said as the car is light it isn't needed, didn't see the point in making more work for myself.

But, I did keep hold of it from my donor, just in case.

What's it for / does it make any difference ?

Will the car pass the SVA without it ?

Jon

breskit
07-01-04, 01:29 PM
My Sumo certainly needed one for SVA. Rears would lock up each time before the fronts without it. Now with it fitted, works a treat.

Cheers,
Tony B
---
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony.breski

milner
07-01-04, 08:42 PM
Tony, any chance of some pics of the location of where/how you mounted the deceleration valve ?

Kallie
07-01-04, 10:39 PM
Yeah Tony.....maybe you should get your web site up to date}( }( }( }(

Kallie

Keith S
08-01-04, 08:22 AM
I was told by Tony Holmes that if you are using the Granada set up you don't need to fit one, but that it is advisible on the Sierra set up.
I have the Granada set up and passed SVA 1st time with no problems at all.
From memory I believe that Tony B has the Sierra set up on his, which is why he needed to fit the valve,:tu :tu :tu :tu :tu :tu

David Parkes
08-01-04, 03:26 PM
Now this is great news. I was beginning to have to contemplate moving break pipes, bleeding again............ oh no!

Good job I've got the Granada set up!!

milner
08-01-04, 04:48 PM
Lucky sod, I've got the Sierra !

Any chance it'll pass the SVA without, if so where's best & how to fit it ???

jon

David Parkes
09-01-04, 08:22 AM
The only info I have is that I've seen people attach them to the lower chassis rail in the engine compartment on the drivers side before the single pipe runs towards the rear of the car. I think you are also meant to fit them at a specified angle.

Best of luck.

breskit
09-01-04, 02:48 PM
Attached a pic of where my deceleration valve is fitted. It is angled forward at around 30-40 degrees. Brake pipe from the master cylinder fits to the rear of the valve. Line then comes from the front of the valve to the rear of the car. Simple enough to fit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Tony B

milner
09-01-04, 06:59 PM
This might do me a favour. I've fed the brake line down the inside of the transmision tunnel and the bend into the tunnel looks crap. I took the 12" clip SVA rule literally ie servo to chassis so it's all scrunched up ( SVA guide book already on order ! )

I think I'll cut this and mount the valve in the entrance to the transmission tunnel. Any idea how many inches un-clipped you're allowed under SVA between the valve or chassis before the servo. If it is 12" it means a very tight bend back to the chassis and looks crap.

Jon

breskit
12-01-04, 11:06 AM
Jon,

Don't forget that the pipe will be secured at both sides of the valve, so take 30cm either side of that. You should be easily able to bend/shape the pipe within that sort of distance.

Cheers,
Tony B