PDA

View Full Version : New heads but runs like a dog

perky
12-01-04, 10:40 PM
Some of you may recall my posts from months ago when I reported blue smoke on start up and thanks to the advice given this was isolated to crap valve seals on the heads. I decided to live with it but last week i picked up some very sensibly priced brand new RV8 heads which are now fitted,

after starting the engine for the first time all was well and it ran up to temprature with good oil pressure and steady tickover at around 750rpm. At around 90 degrees the fans kicked in but were noisy as something was caught between the fans and rad. I switched off to investigate, sorted the obstruction then turned the key to start up again at which point there was a 'click' and the engine seemed dead. I left it a few moments and tried again and it started but was running rough as if the timing was out, also on tickover the revs were surging. I switched off, left it for an hour or so, tried again and found it a bugger to start and when it did the engine was not firing on all eight. also when I hit the load pedal it hesitates and then fires with the engine leaping around the engine bay (must be pretty good mountings to stop it leaping into the next planet !) This effect can be reduced by disconnecting the vacuum pipe, so I suspect it is an ignition fault (I have checked that fuel is getting through ok - I have the sootyest plugs in Yorkshire)), could some one tell me if it could be the condenser causing this problem, I have a mallory dual point dizzy, have checked the points etc. Or could it be the coil/ballast resistor ?

I spoke to Holly at RPI and he says most likely the condenser but any other help would be useful.

If it is the condenser does anyone know if a compatible one from halfords for a land rover V8 is suitable or do I have to get one from RPI/Real steel ?

regards
Dave

' and it was going oh so well '

Keith S
13-01-04, 01:22 PM
Dave,
I had a similar problem. I also have a Mallory dual point on my RV8. The engine was misfiring and refused to run at low revs, and then broke down and refused to start.
The problem was cured with a new coil and condenser. These were both obtained from a motor factor. as the Mallory condensor fits on the outside of the dizzy, the only criteria is that it has to work in partnership with your coil(mine is a standard 12v non ballasted one).
The fact that your engine would not start and the starter just "clicked" is due to either a faulty starter or the electriacl supply to it.
This could be the battery or the supply leads.
Is your engine correctly earthed?
The problem that I experienced above was caused by a bad earth.
When the starter was operated because the earth cable was not up to the job, it tried to earth through other ways.
This resulted in having to replace the horns, coil, condenser and loads of aggro.
I have now run earth leads;
from the starter bolts to the chassis
from the nearside of the engine to the chassis
from the engine to the battery
from the chassis to the battery
You will gather that I don't want this to happen again!!!

:tu :tu :tu

perky
13-01-04, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have replaced the condenser this evening with a stop gap lucas type designed for the Land Rover V8 and bingo started first time with no choke and runs ok ( although timing needs checking again as i fiddled with it when trying to solve the problem !!)

RPI and Real steel were out of stock of the actual mallory condenser so I will replace the lucas one as soon as I can get hold of the correct one for the mallory, but i have at least solved the problem.

Isn't it good when your problems are fixed for 3.49 !

regards
Dave

' and it was going oh so well '

Purple AK
13-01-04, 10:38 PM
Most problems are simple/cheapy sorted, Regetably most of us assume the worst!
Cheers :tu