PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to use the steering system of a scorpio/grana

Tim Taylor
15-01-04, 07:36 PM
Hi,

my donor car was a 93'er scorpio cosworth. is it possible to use the steering system from this car or do I need one from a sierra? Btw it was a powersteering system?

thanks for your help

Sebastian

PrivateVoid
16-01-04, 06:40 AM
Hi Sebastian,

As you might remember I use a Scorpio too, but because the Scorpio has a powersteering system it can't be fitted without first going through to much problems (at least that's what I've been told) - so technically it might be a challenge, but for ease and probably safety too it's better to use the Sierra one.

The Pilgrim representative here in Belgium gave me a Sierra steering system, although he could just have taken the steeringsystem of the Scorpio he broke in pieces for me.

So I'm pretty sure that the Sierra one is what you need.

BTW: how's the build going ?

Michael

Daz Johnston
16-01-04, 07:34 AM
I've got the Granada column in my car from an early Scorpio. However, it hasn't been for SVA yet so I cannot guarantee it getting through. The only real problem I had meant that I had to modify the alloy casting with an angle grinder in order to be able to fix it properly in position. I don't forsee any problems with it, and the switch gear is so much better than the Sierra column.

If you have got the column in your donor, try fitting it yourself. If you don't like it, then go and get a Sierra column.

Daz

David Horsnell
16-01-04, 09:21 AM
I used the column from a 1988 Granada without any problems. You do have to remove the alloy housing that gives the Granaga a height and reach adjustment. Once this is off, it fits the same way as the Sierra column. The wiring loom would need to be different to the Sierra as well. (I made my own loom up so this wasnt a problem.

From a recent scrap yard visit, the Granada column was changed around 1991 / 2 and it has a totally different top mount which means you'd have to change the mounting bracket that Pilgrim supply and devised your own one.

The Granada column is a much better fit than the sierra one and doesn't have to be set at an angle as the Sierra one does to get the light stalk to operate correctly. The Granada has a seperate light switch on the dash.

Cheers

David

bopit123
16-01-04, 08:15 PM
If you want to fit the power steering rack, it may be of use to have a look at Mark Ash's site as he has done it with a Sierra PAS rack.

http://www.mark-ash.co.uk/pages/pas.htm

Steve

Tim Taylor
17-01-04, 03:42 PM
Hi,

I think I'll wait until my kit arrives, before I buy a sierra steering system.

Thanks a lot

Tim Taylor
17-01-04, 03:46 PM
I think I'll order my kit february or march. By now, I'm still sandblasting, painting and renewing all the parts from my scorpio. Good job for this ugly wet winter.;)