PDA

View Full Version : Help - Water in the Distributor !

Adrian
09-02-03, 06:19 PM
Anyone any idea why I've got water pouring out of the distributor when the engines running of my Rover V8?

I've taken the water pump off to have a look but can't figure out why its coming out of a hole in the bottom of the dizzy??

:-( :-( :-( :-(

Adrian

STEVE G
09-02-03, 06:59 PM
Adrian
I assume your serious.Coz this sound very.I cant imagine anyway water can get into the dizzy.If its a Mallory I could understand if oil was coming out of the hole.But I cant imagine any way water could and the engine still run.Sorry. -0
Steve G
GRAVETTI 427-Rover 281ci.

kev
09-02-03, 08:37 PM
Wate coming out of the bottom of the dizzy!!!!! x( No way Jose. The dizzy runs in the front timing cover and is driven from the end of the camshaft. If there was water somehow getting from the water pump to the tiiming cover it would fill the engine. Are you sure water hasn't got into the dizzy somehow from the top and is being worked out when the dizzy is spinning? Let us know what it tiurns out to be. I'm intrigued.

Kev

Adrian
10-02-03, 07:05 PM
Guys,
I'm afraid to have to admit its my fault.

I've just realised that I've connected the vacuum pipe to the outlet at the front of my manifold (Twin SU's) which must be water and not vacuum.

Think I'll go back to building computers.

Adrian

kev
10-02-03, 07:23 PM
We've all made daft mistakes, me more than most. BTW check the vaccuum unit it sounds as though it's leaking.
Kev

Adrian
10-02-03, 07:38 PM
Kev,
Have you put that 4.6 in yet?

Adrian

STEVE G
10-02-03, 07:40 PM
Well another mystery solved.Dont give up engines are a lot more simple than computers.
Steve G {-}
GE427-Rover 281ci.

Adrian
10-02-03, 08:19 PM
Guys,
Here's the offending pipe, any ideas what it should be connected to?

Adrian

http://www.cobraclub.com/crcforum/user_files/1047.jpg

STEVE G
10-02-03, 09:00 PM
Adrian
It could be take off for the crankcase breather.Its not too clear in Mr. haynes but its the only pipe I can see in the manual that is close.But it wouldnt have water in it.
Steve G
GE427-Rover 281ci.

kev
11-02-03, 09:53 AM
change of plan {-} Ian Richardson at Wildcat is at the moment modifying the block and crank and making new heads pistons etc., to take it out to 4.8 with a lot better breathing. Should be back for me to start the build late Feb or early March. ~~

Luv these new icons

Kev

maxGD059
12-02-03, 04:00 PM
Adrian

This is connected to the small outlet on the top of the SD1 radiator. If you've not got one of these then connect it to the expansion tank & mount it fairly high up. This will bleed air out of the manifold then. Also make sure the little tube you've arrowed isn't full of cr*p as mine was. This causes inevitable overheating through air locks

Cheers

Richard
(It'll only be a 5 minute job)