PDA

View Full Version : Poor Starting …help..

beanpole
17-07-03, 12:31 PM
Hi guys,

First start-up’s of my re-built engine and having problems.

I just can’t seem to nail this one down. Everything is fine once the engine has started, (Bog Standard RV8), but getting it started is a real pig..

When starting the engine is trying to ‘catch’ with a few coughs coming from the odd cylinder, then eventually the coughs increase and all 8 cylinders fire into life, revs nicely right through the rev range, ticks over no problem.

Great you would think, but stop after a minute or so, try again, same thing, but by now a lot has been taken out of the battery, and a third attempt will usually fail… now we have a near enough flat battery.

The guts of the dizzy have been replaced with Optronics, ballast resistor removed, 12V coil installed, and nice spark from earthed spark plug sitting in the top of the coil.

New dizzy cap, new silicon HT leads, new 12V coil, (also tried with new 6V coil).

Weber 500 mixture screws now set to 1 ½ turns out..

Any idea’s ??

:( :(

Steve

Happy Jim
17-07-03, 12:38 PM
What's your timing (Static) set at? and do you have your vac connected or disconnected at the mo?

Cheers

Jim

beanpole
17-07-03, 01:42 PM
Jim,

Static timing set at 6 BTDC, vac connected, (works fine if I suck down the tube).

Steve

Happy Jim
17-07-03, 06:33 PM
Steve,

I'm set at 10 BTDC static (no vac) and after 2 squirts of juice it bursts into life (no churning), try a couple of extra degrees.

Rgds

Jim

David J
17-07-03, 08:05 PM
According to the bit of paper I got with my Carb the mixture screws should be set at two and a half turns open.
With this set up and two dabs of the throttle it starts first time.
David

beanpole
17-07-03, 10:37 PM
thanks guys, getting somewhere now..

I had not anticipated how far I would have to move the dizzy (advance), starts a bit better now, but I need to get timing light now before I can go any further.

The strange thing is the engine will only fire up if the dizzy position is such that with no1 position at 6 BTDC the rotor arm position in the cap has just gone past no 1 plug lead !

What part does the vac play , ie when does it advance the timing ?

My donor battery is stuffed, I shall nip into Halfords and pick another up, any idea what cranking power I should look for ?

Will having no manifolds affect the smoothness of the tickover?

Regards

Steve

:)

Happy Jim
18-07-03, 10:20 AM
Steve,

Are you using the TDC indicator as slapped on by Rover or have you checked the "real" TDC? When I set mine up first I found the indicator was a good 5 degrees out of reality - which made things interesting to say the least x(

Cheers

Jim

beanpole
18-07-03, 10:27 AM
Jim,

I am using the marks on the damper, which is actually a new one as the old one had an oil seal groove worn into it.

Someone else has also said those marks can be about as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

Better check mine... I definiately have to move advance the dizzy more than the marks indicate.

Regards

Steve

:}

agwebsites
18-07-03, 02:49 PM
Might be worth checking you've got a good earth to the battery. Copper grease in the contacts etc.

Might help,
Andy

http://www.corporanda.com/cos-race.gif

TINKA
18-07-03, 05:35 PM
Also check the Engine's earth.

Martin

roger
18-07-03, 05:58 PM
Exide Ultra diesel type battery has superb cranking power and four year guarantee. Mine recently went tits up after 3.5 years of use and was replaced f.o.c. with no problems by supplier.

kirklillis
18-07-03, 11:18 PM
Beanpole,

Ckeck out Crane Cams website. Very useful tech tips pages on site. Tell you all you need to know about setting up cams and dizzy's. Also tells you how to make tool to check TRUE TDC.

Kirk