PDA

View Full Version : Rover 3500 V8 - Oil Pressure

kalto
01-09-03, 09:05 PM
Hi All. My Rv8 stood for 3 months, my oil pressure was a normal 20 psi before it stood, now my pressure is at 10psi and fluctuates when driving between 5 and 15psi, but never goes to 20. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this. Have done full flush, oil and filter change, no difference. Please help??:} :} :} Be gentle, Rover parts are a big mission in South Africa.

TINKA
01-09-03, 09:45 PM
Kalto, the only thing I can suggest is to take off the oil pump and check that the oil pressure valve has not stuck open x( x(as this is a big fault on old RV8's :} :}. If it is faulty you can get the modded one from Rimmer Bros who will mail them to you.:) :) :)

Hope this helps

Martin :tu :tu :tu

TINKA
Kalto, the only thing I can suggest is to take off the oil pump and check that the oil pressure valve has not stuck open x( x(as this is a big fault on old RV8's :} :}. If it is faulty you can get the modded one from Rimmer Bros who will mail them to you.:) :) :)

Hope this helps

TINKA

Hope this helps

TINKA

Hope this helps

TINKA

Hope this helps

TINKA

Hope this helps

kalto
01-09-03, 10:00 PM
Thanks, have just found Rimmer's www.

TINKA
01-09-03, 10:02 PM
Sorry for all the replies but my PC is being a bit temperamental at the mo. :} :} :} :} :f :f :f

Martin :tu :tu

Trigger
02-09-03, 12:03 PM
Yes Martin, we get the message thank you!:P }(

russell_ram
02-09-03, 02:04 PM
Kalto,

is your oil pressure guage electric or mechanical. If it's electric DO NOT trust it. The big (30mm dia) sender units from SD1s are notoriously unreliable and the fact that your oil pressure has dropped by 10psi with the engine not having been run does not suggest a 'sudden' mechanical fault.

The oil pressure relief valve on a Rover operates at almost any speed above idle (as you will hear if you drive the pump with an electric drill). The engine speed oil pressure will be the same as it was before even if the relief valve has stuck open.

However, having said all that even your 'old' 20psi is low, even for a Rover, and suggests worn main bearing shells or pump rotors (and/or pump body/cover plate). If the engine is pre-SD1, then the pump has shorter rotors and fitting a spacer plate and SD1 type rotors will improve things.

Russ

James
11-11-03, 10:51 PM
Hi Russ

What is ideal oil pressure in your opinion

regards

James
:tu