PDA

View Full Version : One exhaust smoking

beanpole
19-10-03, 06:36 PM
Guys,

One of my exhausts smokes quite a bit. If you rev the engine quite a lot of smoke comes out of one exhaust, quite noticeable if you suddenly floor the pedal or blip the throttle. If you increase the revs slowly the smoke is hardly noticeable.

The smoke is predominantly white with a little blue tinge.

Engine is a full re-build, only been started a few times.

I have not set the carb up yet if that has anything to do with it, (Webber 500).

Just wondering if I have to remove the head and check pistons rings etc..

Steve

:} :}

Dan
20-10-03, 12:58 PM
White smoke would indicate burning oil. Could be desirable if trying to recreate a monkey magic momment (Floating around on a cloud type thing)

I had the same problem out of both my pipes when I was cocking about on the brooklands airfield some months back. In my case it stopped a few minutes after I stopped speeding around in circles.

I would have thought the only way for oil to get in to a cyld is via the piston rings.

Dan

beanpole
20-10-03, 01:37 PM
Dan,

yep recon your are right, one plug is oily compared with all the others, which are nice and dry. I did have problems with this same cylinder a while back because of a broken inlet valve rocker arm, so for a while nothing was getting into this cylinder and the engine ran on 7.

Seems like something happened while running on 7 and although now running on 8 albeit with smoke, seems like the new rings need replacing.

Still at least it seems easy enough with the engine in situ, just whip the head and sump off.

Steve

:} :}

perky
21-10-03, 07:51 AM
this sounds similar to my problems. Tomorrow I have a chap coming over form IK Racing for the chasis to put it on a rolling road to set carb up etc. But I too have same symptoms as reported elsewher on the BB.

I was told that this is becuase of no valve seals/worn guides as all compression test seemed ok. Worth checking, in the meantime I will report back the results of the rolling road set up, no doubt Ian at IK Racing will tell me of other problems. If I too have 'ring' problems its good to know that the engine doesn't need to come out.

Regards
Dave

' and it was going oh so well '

perky
26-10-03, 07:06 AM
I have now had my V8 set up at IK racing. basically the timing wss out and the carb needed setting up. The results were that tickover is now down to 550rpm and all the emmission tests showed that the engine is well within the tolerances allowed. The blue smoke on start up was confirmed as crap/no valve seals and the white smoke problem is all but gone as a result of proper timing and carb set up. In the words of Ian at IK racing the engine is 'as sound as a bobbin' (a yorkshire phrase for in good order)

So, my suggestion would be to get your V8 tuned and set up on a rolling road before you start stripping it down, it just might save you some time

Regards
Dave

' and it was going oh so well '