PDA

View Full Version : 4.6 RV8 Block Liner Movement Question

Adrian
13-01-04, 09:48 PM
Guys,
I've been offered a 4.6L cross bolted block which has had some water damage and one of the liners has moved.

The guy says it will cost about 100 to fix, is this true and what's involved?

Cheers
Adrian

:}

chesterak
13-01-04, 10:56 PM
I'm sure Russ will correct me if I'm wrong.....be very careful, the usual fix for this problem is to fit top-hat liners. If you do this it's best to have each cylinder re-linered.
There are a few good engineers that do this, Wildcat, for one.
It may cost more than 100.
Good luck.
Stan

:tu

STEVE G
14-01-04, 02:33 PM
If he says 100 get him to get it done and pay him.I agree with Stan,I know to my cost it aint worth f***king around with an old 4.6,unless you know it came from a wrecked car the chances are it was replaced coz it leaks.Top-hat liners and new pistons etc put you over what a brand new short motor will cost from RPI.
Steve G {-}
GE427-Rover 281ci.(300+BHP)

osgood
15-01-04, 12:05 PM
Adrian, have just bought a 4:6 block, & on advise from Russell Ram have had it pressure tested just in case, as it seems to be a common problem with this unit unlike most of the rest of the family.

Fitting 4 lt pistons to get the CR up too 11.5:1, would like to have had a bore but 4 lt pistons not available in over-size x( As said be careful Eric

Rik Hofste
26-01-04, 09:11 AM
Adrian,
I did such repair and was advised to remove all the old liners, after removal of the old liners there were 4 cylinders cracked instead of one !
Replaced the liners for thicker tophat liners and the block is now without leaking but costs was around GBP 850,--.
Best is to ask Wildcat or Progress Engineering who are doing these jobs all the time, but for sure it will cost you more that GBP 100.

Cheers Rik

osgood
26-01-04, 07:02 PM
Adrian, further too my comments. Apparently so I learn today there are three grades of liner for the 4:6 they are colour coded red,blue, and yellow I think; red best being the thickest one I think. Russell Ram is your man on this one he would know Eric:)

Adrian
28-01-04, 07:11 PM
Guys,
Thanks for all your replies, i think I'm going to leave it as it sounds too much trouble.

I thought if it an easy quick & cheap job it would have been worth buying. Never Mind.

Cheers
Adrian:}