PDA

View Full Version : Rover V8 with Auto Box

Marty V6
17-05-04, 12:36 AM
Hi

I have taken the plunge, gone and bought a cobra replica. Its a Sumo Mk3 with a Rover V8 and Auto box (Sierra Based). Presumably as the auto box was designed to be used with a heavier car - its from an SD1 - it will be okay for use in the Cobra? Has anybody got experience with these with regards to general running and reliability fluid type etc, as I am an auto virgin? If I were to change to a manual box, would I be correct in assuming that a hydraulic clutch would be preferable to a cable operated clutch? And finally, would I be able to use the auto bellhousing on the manual box?

Cheers

Marty

TINKA
17-05-04, 07:53 AM
Hi Marty, the Sumo uses a Sierra pedal box setup and they have sorted a cable arrangement to operate the clutch which works fine but can be a bit of a pig in the first place to get to work. Personally I think the hydraulic system is better but not sure how easy it would be to convert the Sierra pedal box. If you get a 5 speed box try and make sure you get the bell housing with it as the bell housing is different and you can't use the auto one. There are quite a few that come up on Ebay with one on, not sure if you would need the prop shaft shortening or not but there are places which would do this for you. Not that hard to swap over and a lot more fun to drive a manual rather than an auto.

Martin :tu :tu :tu :tu

Marty V6
17-05-04, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the reply and advice - all gratefully received. I would have prefered a manual box, but auto is what it came with and beggars cant be choosers. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the manual bellhousing needing drilling to accept the cable clutch. Would you know if this is correct?

Cheers

Marty

tonym
17-05-04, 11:41 PM
Yes, thats correct. It's a very simple conversion :tu

TINKA
17-05-04, 11:42 PM
Yes Marty, for the cable conversion that is how I am led to believe it is achieved.

Martin :tu

breskit
18-05-04, 09:48 AM
Magnum Engineering do a very good conversion kit that allows you to run the hydraulic clutch with the Rover V8 and in my view it is much better than the cable conversion that is recommended by Pilgrim. I found that running with the cable, the clutch was quite heavy. With hydraulics it is much lighter.

It doesn't cost a huge amount of money to buy the kit and is a doddle to fit.

I have an unwanted 5-speed box, no bellhousing. If you're interested, make me an offer.

Cheers,
Tony B
---
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony.breski

Marty V6
18-05-04, 06:28 PM
Tony

I take it that you have installed the Magnum setup, yes?

I would possibly be interested in the box, but as yet havent managed to get the Cobra from Surrey where I purchased it, back up to the north east where I live. Its definately something on the list to do though.

Regards

Marty

breskit
19-05-04, 01:04 PM
Marty,

Yes I have installed the magnum setup and I'm very pleased with it too.

The box isn't going anywhere - was keeping it as a spare, just in case. If ever you want it, just let me know.

Cheers,
Tony B
---
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony.breski

Marty V6
20-05-04, 10:49 PM
Will do.

Cheers Tony