PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil?

MacGD016
25-06-04, 08:39 PM
Iíve just put my GD with RV8 on the road and after a short 60mph+ run have found spots of oil on the back of the car and even in the cockpit and windscreen. I canít see any evidence of oil on the underside of the car so assume it must be coming from the exhaust. One pipe is dry but the other is slightly oily but the only evidence of oil burn is after a spell at tick-over, there is none on acceleration or on or after overrun. In addition all the plugs are clean. I am confused, surely any oil getting into the cylinders it would be burnt and this is the only way into the exhaust.

Any ideas?

jonbillings
25-06-04, 08:54 PM
Might want to check with an expert - but I think I have seen it described as borewash - where too much fuel is getting into the engine and not all being burnt - washing oil off the cylinder walls - and out through the exhaust.
I think there are some posts around on the subject - but an expert might be able to tell you exactly.

TINKA
25-06-04, 10:30 PM
Silly question perhaps but could it have been something that you followed :confused:

MacGD016
26-06-04, 10:02 AM
Silly question perhaps but could it have been something that you followed :confused:

I wish that was the cause but I tried the same run twice and same result.

MacGD016
26-06-04, 05:16 PM
Iíve just put my GD with RV8 on the road and after a short 60mph+ run have found spots of oil on the back of the car and even in the cockpit and windscreen. I canít see any evidence of oil on the underside of the car so assume it must be coming from the exhaust. One pipe is dry but the other is slightly oily but the only evidence of oil burn is after a spell at tick-over, there is none on acceleration or on or after overrun. In addition all the plugs are clean. I am confused, surely any oil getting into the cylinders it would be burnt and this is the only way into the exhaust.

Any ideas?

I've braved the wet to see what if anything is coming out of the exhausts, I warmed up the engine and then held some white card a couple of inches away from the exhaust and ran the engine at 3000 rpm for a while then reved it hard for a while, result no marks. I have also had a good look underneath and there is no sign of oil along the floor of the car, there is a very small leak from the remote filter take off though. But I would have thought that if i was that it would have left some oil along the floor pan.

Still confused