PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Saints

Grease Monkey
29-06-04, 04:08 PM
OK, to balance things out a bit, how about the 'saints' of the car world.

Favorite, cool, motors. (No volvos allowed, except perhaps the one the original saint drove..)

To kick off:

The Land Rover Series/Defender. Love em, cool as. (Not the freelander/disco though)

Lancia Stratos, looks the mutts nuts. Almost used by X1-9 as a donor for one of these.

That twin bike engined seven, i forget the name. Organ wrenchingly fast.

The original Mini. I had one, the misses had one, everyone should have owned a mini at some time, if only so that they can appreciate what it feels like to move up to a proper car.

FatBoy
29-06-04, 04:53 PM
Lamborghini Miura SV - arguably the best looking car ...EVER ! :cool:

RichardG
29-06-04, 05:09 PM
Series 3 XJ Jaguar - 'cos the Equilizer had one!
My Alfa 156 for being achingly beautiful
Mini - the car I learnt to drive in
Tuscan - once again so very, very cool
365 Daytona - hmmm
DS - I could never, in my own mind, separate my Dad's green DS from Thunderbird 2

Ah, so many cars, so little time and money...

gwak76
29-06-04, 07:18 PM
Aston Martin DB5, so cool.

E Type Series 1, not the later ones:eek:

Hemi Cuda.

55 Chevy, loved these since watching American Graffiti.

And everything else I will never own.

Miket
29-06-04, 07:43 PM
Now, if your looking for saints, there's only two cars in the world which are unbeatable, its got to be.

Wartburg and Trabant :rolleyes:

And they even have an owners club and website :confused:

Purple AK
29-06-04, 07:56 PM
That twin bike engined seven, i forget the name. Organ wrenchingly fast.

The original Mini. I had one, the misses had one, everyone should have owned a mini at some time, if only so that they can appreciate what it feels like to move up to a proper car.Z CarsT100, T100WR They also do a twin R1 engined Mini!! :eek: http://www.zcars.org.uk/index.htm (http://www.zcars.org.uk/index.htm)

Hemi Cuda.
55 Chevy, loved these since watching American Graffiti.
And Two Lane Blacktop! :cool:

Grease Monkey
29-06-04, 08:21 PM
Z CarsT100, T100WR They also do a twin R1 engined Mini!! :eek: http://www.zcars.org.uk/index.htm (http://www.zcars.org.uk/index.htm)

Cool,Got to be the ultimate toy, the GD's going to be a cruiser by comparison

RichardG
29-06-04, 09:25 PM
Anyone else fancy tearing around Torino in three R1 powered minis? :eek:

roll control
29-06-04, 10:32 PM
Some time ago, prior to being a Cobra nut, I owned this.........fantastic

Miket
29-06-04, 10:53 PM
I had a Stag in 1971, I think I must have got a Monday or Friday car, because I couldn't stop the bas**** from boiling, why didn't they use the Rover V8, instead of trying to produce there own engine, the registration number would be worth a fortune now, WBN 22. :(

Anyway, this was my automotive saint, I had a good few years racing this round a grass field, before money and advertising took over and changed the name from Autocross to Rallycross and priced us amateurs out of the game. :(

Oh bugger, Iv'e just noticed the Viper Stripe :confused:

roll control
30-06-04, 07:40 AM
Hi Mike, they never fitted the Rover lump coz of internal politics etc... They insisted on carrying on with the 'Triumph' V8. 3.0L and only producing 147h.p. criminal!! Cooling system was on its limits when in good order and it doesn't help having a water pump fitted in the top of the 'V' on the inlet manifold about 1" below the top of the radiator. Knobs! Mind you, I've owned several and never had an overheating issue. A great 70's icon, not in the league of some of the above mentioned cars but worth a mention :D

Rob :)

Grease Monkey
30-06-04, 08:54 AM
Its a rare find these day to find a Stag with the original Triumph V8 still installed. Most people have ripped it out and put the RV8 in.

I remember standing outside the gate of a big country estate with all of my school class waiting to go on a school 'nature ramble' when one guy was dropped off in his Dads red Stag. Roof down, he just jumped over the door.

That was the start of my affair with rag tops, 3 years later i had my own 'mini' stag in the form of a rather rusty Spitfire.

kdavies3
30-06-04, 09:03 AM
Hi Mike, the good old Anglia must have been fun to drive, it looks like you invented the first monster truck with the suspension jacked up so high. :D

I know what you mean about the money taking over motor sport, rallying was my thing. I could be competative in my Chevette HS, then along came the money men. New tyres every stage ex works cars started to appear at club events etc.

Sadly I gave up trying to compete against those with much larger wallets than mine. :mad:

I was watching some British rallying on motors TV the other night and most of the top ten were all quite new ex World Rally Cars, probably over a 150K each easily.

Anyway to get back to the spirit of the thread: :)

My vote is for the Group 'B' rally cars :cool:

Metro 6R4
Peugeot 205 T16
Lancia Delta s4
Audi Quattro S1 and S2
Ford RS 200

Truely marvellous to watch in action.

Miket
30-06-04, 09:22 AM
Hi Kev

It wasn't that high, I think that must have been taken when I was coming in for landing. :D

You are correct, every time I went to a meeting, some body had improved there car, so it was back in the workshop spending more time and money playing catch up, got to expensive in the end :(

gwak76
30-06-04, 10:23 AM
I owned a Mk1 stag some years back, but it was not quick enough for me, the options were swap out for another make of engine or get the origonal reworked. I must admit the idea of putting a RV8 in it did not appeal at all, so off to the machine shop it went. As I remember the work was carried out by Hart Racing, heads, cams, headders and a 390 cfm holley, it never overheated due to the 12 vane waterpump and larger rad. What it did do was go through gearboxes and diffs, I must have cleared out most breakers yards of Triumph 2500pi running gear for miles around, oh happy days.

Robin427
08-07-04, 10:11 AM
I'm in a bit of a worry. Ever since seeing the GD in a kit car mag in 1999, I've thought it was the best car ever and what I'd buy if I won the lottery.

Now I've bought one so if I win the lottery I'll be a bit stuck...

...oh wait, what's this that arrived the post?

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=293.jpg

gwak76
08-07-04, 10:18 AM
I dream of winning that much, could put a couple of gallons in the tank:D