PDA

View Full Version : Lane Discipline

robert
13-07-04, 11:12 AM
I travel up and down the M1 from Northampton to London every day, and the standards of lane discipline are shocking.

Why don't people use their mirrors these days and use all 3 lanes like they should. Many times, the outside lane is full, and the inner lanes are empty. :mad: :mad:

Grease Monkey
13-07-04, 03:57 PM
That'll normally be because a limited truck is overtaking another limited truck at 55.5 mph against 55.2 mph.

Should take the guy about 5 miles or so...

If there's a steady stream of traffic crawling past at 70, you want to get in the queue, not come up on the back of the truck and have to wait until somone lets you out...

On a related topic, we have a hill on the M5 just south of bristol and the DOT are going to restrict caravans to the nearside lane to avoid this problem.

Hey Hey!! Result.

Lindsay
14-07-04, 12:28 PM
These are all members of the Centre Lane Owners Club. Very prevalent at weekends. High proportion of female drivers belong (count them!), presumably because there are nasty trucks in the inside lane. Please note that this Club move premises to the outside lane when it starts to rain.
Only way to beat it is to use the Highway Code and undertake. The Highway Code states that if the inside lane is moving at a faster pace than the one outside it, undertaking is legal. If you are the only one in the inside lane you will bound to be moving faster than the Centre Lane Owners Club, who usually travel on motorways at 60 mph.

Sorry - rant over, I do 36k miles per year and they are my pet hate. Fully agree, lane discipline in this country is appalling.
Regards
Lindsay

snake_bitten
14-07-04, 03:32 PM
ooh don't get me started on this!!!!!!!!!!!
lorries overtaking especially on dual carrrige ways
sunday drivers out practicing any day of the week
Lane discipline....OOH!...OOH!.....OHH!.....no I wont even go there!!!!!!!!

Mainland Europe.... miles(km)...and..miles(km) of no lorries allowed to overtake AND better land discipline....JOY BLISS!

sorry bout that...feel better now...thank you for the oppertunity to get that out

robert
14-07-04, 04:09 PM
sorry bout that...feel better now...thank you for the oppertunity to get that out
Pleasure :) :)

chiffer
17-07-04, 09:14 AM
We think the french are bad drivers, but their lane dicipline is much better than ours and they only have two lanes on their motorways. They overtake and pull over. If we all did this then the third lane, which is the overtaking lane, would be less conjested and we could all get to where we are going quicker.

Miket
17-07-04, 10:02 AM
Has anyone driven on the A4 Motorway from Milan to Verona, Its ******* mental, three solid lanes of traffic all doing 100mph, 3ft from each others bumpers :eek:, plenty of accidents but no traffic jams. :D

breskit
17-07-04, 11:09 PM
We think the french are bad drivers, but their lane dicipline is much better than ours and they only have two lanes on their motorways. They overtake and pull over. If we all did this then the third lane, which is the overtaking lane, would be less conjested and we could all get to where we are going quicker.

BUT DON'T THE FRENCH HAVE A SUECIDE LANE ON THEIR MOTORWAYS? THERE MAY BE THREE LANES, BUT THEY DON'T ALWAYS POINT IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

I PREFER THE MOTORCYCLIST'S HIGHWAY CODE THESE DAYS - TEAR ALONG THE DOTTED LINE. IT SEEMS TO BE THE ONLY WAY TO GET PAST THE STUPID B*GGERS THAT HOG THOSE OUTSIDE OR MIDDLE LANES. AND YET WHEN YOU LOOK AT THEM STRANGLEY AS YOU GO POST, THEM STILL APPEAR IGNORANT AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON!!

Grease Monkey
19-07-04, 08:08 PM
OK heres something else that amazes me every time i see it.

People who, having pulled onto the hard shoulder for no actual reason, (alter makeup, eat lunch etc) decide to pull onto lane 1 from a standing start.

They just indicate, turn the wheel right, and pull out.

ARE THESE PEOPLE MAD.!! :eek: :eek: or do they want to have SCAMMEL or IVECO imprinted on their arse?

Whats so hard about accelerating to say, 60 mph, and then filtering with exising traffic ?!!!!

MUPPETS!!!!!!!!