PDA

View Full Version : Triumph Rocket III

simon
20-08-04, 07:26 PM
Ok, I know it's not strictly cobra related, but I had to mention my test ride on a Triumph Rocket 3 the other day.
YE GODS ! What a machine! it produces more torque at tickover than a Honda fireblade at 8,500 rpm.
Stick it it 5th gear at 30 mph, open the throttle and it'll tear your arms off. I haven't had so much fun since I first drove my GT40 and Cobra. If you're a bike rider, you must go ride one. Even if cruisers aren't your thing, you've got to experience the power and torque of this beast. :D

Paul B
23-08-04, 07:56 AM
I hate to be picky but it was either a BSA Rocket III or a Triumph Trident.

I can't remember all the details, but one had the cylinders inclined forward whilst the other was vertical. The styling was different but even though both factories claim they were the result of independant deveolpments programs, they both came out around the same time ??

An even better variant is one that has had a "Norman Hyde" conversion to 1000cc. Norman was a well known drag racer in the 70's who used to race a twin trident engined beast and developed this conversion that he undertook on your engine.

The only issue is, try kick starting the monster. I used to be able to stand on the kickstarter and was unable to move it !

Great bikes though.

PPiA
12-09-04, 08:33 PM
Paul,
Just passing through and thought you'd like a pic of the 2004 version from Triumph.... :angel:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/03images/rocket3.jpg

simon
12-09-04, 08:38 PM
Yes sorry Paul, I meant the NEW triumph rocket 3....3 cylinder...2.3 litres....150 ft lbs of torque.....2.8 seconds 0 - 60

tarmacscratcher
12-09-04, 08:55 PM
not so good round corners though eh? :thumb:

gwak76
12-09-04, 09:04 PM
Bit like a Cobra then :rolleyes: , no offence to you racers out there.

simon
12-09-04, 09:43 PM
Well, it's no blade, but it's pretty amazing for a cruiser.

tarmacscratcher
12-09-04, 09:45 PM
better than a Vmax?

Paul B
13-09-04, 09:55 AM
Shows how out of date I am !! I thought Simon was referring to the old model, I didn't even know they had brought out a new version. Not as good looking as the old model though, but 2.3 litres !!!!!!! Is this the largest mainstream bike ?

simon
13-09-04, 10:08 AM
Yes it is (well apart from the Boss Hoss...5.7 Chevy engine...but who in their right mind would want one of them!)
Despite if being a huge monster, it's very chuckable. The weight is very low down and the torque is just awesome! They say it's the quickest bike to 60, purely because the weight keeps the front end on the floor.
R1's and the like, have difficulty putting all the power down without popping wheelies.
Huge fun, it's like a two wheeled Cobra.

Simon