PDA

View Full Version : Hi + Why The Difference?!?!

Topher
25-08-04, 02:18 PM
Hi Everyone!!

I've been nosing around the forums for a while now trying to learn as much as I can about these fantastic beasts and I have to say that the Cobra Club forms are a great place......full of well informed an friendly people!! :thumb:

I've got my heart set on buying a Cobra (I'm not too useful with my spanners :( ) and have managed to scrape together a pretty decent lump of cash. I've already had a look a few which while being fun, has left me a little confused......

I've got a fair idea of what I want and am looking at probably a Dax or Ram based kit plus I've got my heart set on a 350 Chevy V8 but there seems to be huge differences in the asking price between what appears to be very similar cars??? For example.....

These two Cobra's from the classifieds seem comparable and with my lack of knowledge I'm stumped to figure out why there's 2500 difference?????

http://www.cobraclub.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=148&sort=2&cat=5&page=1
http://www.cobraclub.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=191&sort=2&cat=5&page=2

So please can anyone enlighten me as to how you value a Cobra??

Cheers Guys!!

maxGD059
25-08-04, 02:56 PM
So please can anyone enlighten me as to how you value a Cobra??

Welcome along to insania

In answer to your queery, simply, the value of a cobra is really what one person wants to pay for it. Perhaps a bit flippant but there's not easy way unless you want to coff up some dough & have it 'professionally' valued by someone independant such as Cheng Lim. However, what the photos don't show is the attention to details that some owners have put into their cars, & this is probably where the real cost difference lies. If you can, go to the Donnington show on 4th & 5th september. There will be loads of cobs there & the differences in build quality will be more apparent. Sometimes there are a few for sale so it can be an ideal time to consider buying
Happy hunting

Topher
25-08-04, 04:36 PM
Somehow I was worried that was the answer....doesn't make things easy for us newbies you know!! ;)

So tip number one is check as many car's as possible and get a 'feel' for things.....sounds like a good excuse to look at beautiful cars but I'm worried my resolve will give out and I'll impulse buy. I suppose as long as I love the car that's the key thing but the idea of getting ripped off just leave a bitter taste in my mouth! :mad:

maxGD059
25-08-04, 05:28 PM
Tip number 2

Look behind the dash at the wiring -if its a rats nest then have doubts about the rest of the car -rules mine out straight away!

TonyD
25-08-04, 06:29 PM
Thats why you put up nicely trimmed panels underneath the dashboard to hide all the untidy wiring from inquisitous eyes..........

Cheers,

Tony

mylesdw
25-08-04, 08:53 PM
The comments about general build quality are good. Also there may be a difference in the parts used, are they straight from a donor car, fully reconditioned, brand new? The difference in price could be down to one car using a brand new gearbox. The amount spent on the engine can easily vary by a couple of thousand.

Of the two examples you gave, the dearer one seems too dear to me, the cheaper one looks better (on paper).

Have an idea what you want to use the car for, a car built for track days and sprints may not be too great for cruising with the missus (or the the girlfriend but probably best not both at once). The car with a five speed and 3.09 rear is VERY high geared, great for long motorway trips but you will hardly get out of 3rd on B-roads.

Remember to check every last thing. There may be things that simply don't work and have never worked. Do the wipers wipe and park? Do the tyres hit the inner wings on full lock? Do the seats adjust? Does the fuel gauge work? The list goes on... These are minor items on a production car but can lead to more major expense when they require a re-design.

plod
26-08-04, 09:52 AM
Just a foot note mate, without looking at mine, a dax with a 350 chevy on the new de dion chassis was given a value of 26,500 from a garage thatfeatures inthe mag. This was what theywould have paid for mine and so I guess they'll be looking to sell it on at 30+ maybe?

and Guess, what, mine is for sale.. hee hee

Paul

Topher
26-08-04, 10:07 AM
Cheers for the advice guy's....appreciate it! :thumb:

Hi there Plod.....I've already spotted your car, you still trying to sell that thing???? :rolleyes:

It looks very tasty indeed and you're after 30k for it aren't you? I wouldn't mind taking a look at it even though it's a touch out of my price range as I think you're fairly local? I'm based Tunbridge Wells where abouts in East Sussex are you?

Cheers!!!!

plod
26-08-04, 10:09 AM
sorry, some of that doesn't make sense. There are some pics of mine on the forum. It was professionally built by Dave Brooks. Hallmark and Sovereign who I imagine peruse the forum looking for such cars rang me and gave me an offer. Mine is going in kitcar mag this month.

I too am no spannerhead, which is why I got it built for me

Paul

plod
26-08-04, 10:15 AM
hee hee yep still trying to sell that 'thing'. Quite honestly mate, cos it's on the de dion, which is still a rare beast on the worlds roads, i dont want to devalue it by selling it cheap, though i am open to offers.. i realise it's not std blue with stripes and doesn't have sidepipes, but it is fairly well specced up as they say..

I'm in Eastbourne mate, not a great distance from you

Kevin_T
26-08-04, 01:02 PM
Topher,
Hi ... I'm just up the road in Rotherfield if you want to take a look at another fine example of a Dave Brookes built car. It's not a Dion like PLOD's but it does have side pipes and it is in the "standard" blue with white stripe !!!! Sadly though not for sale.
Cheers,
Kevin.....

crendonman
26-08-04, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a look at it even though it's a touch out of my price range as I think you're fairly local? I'm based Tunbridge Wells where abouts in East Sussex are you?

Cheers!!!!
Hi Topher,

I'm meeting up with Plod Saturday morning 09.45 at Rye (I'm very near Tunny Wells) want a lift?? :thumb:

Topher
26-08-04, 02:44 PM
Wow....you guy's are super friendly I can't believe how helpful you all are!!!!!! :thumb:

I'm off to France this weekend for a bit of surfing and lot's of red wine so I'm going to miss out this time but normally I'd bite your arm off!! As soon as I'm back it'll be a different story and I'll be there!!

Really appreciate the offers!! :D

Miket
26-08-04, 04:30 PM
Hi Topher,

want a lift?? :thumb: And you dare to call me gay :finger: :D :thumb:

crendonman
26-08-04, 05:24 PM
[quote:d2e5f67e89="miket"]And you dare to call me gay /QUOTE]
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Oy!!!! Less Of:eek: That!!!:whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :thumb:

plod
26-08-04, 11:43 PM
AND MORE OF THIS!

PS< thats mr crendonman in the middle... make yr own mind up!!

Paul