PDA

View Full Version : Help! Compact Digital Cameras

Louise
04-10-04, 10:54 AM
I do not know much about this sort of thing :-( but would like to buy a Compact Digital Camera. I would like to e-mail pictures to friends and upload them to Websites. However they need to be good enough quality to have them printed up from time to time. It needs to be a manageable size with a standard zoom (unless advised otherwise). I really want something easy to use as I do not want to spend ages selecting :confused: options, I just like to turn it on and take the photo! My price limit would have to be in the region of £200.00 although I do like a good bargain :D

kdavies3
04-10-04, 11:35 AM
Take a look at the Canon Ixus V2 it was on special in a number of places recently as it's being replaced by a new model.
I've had a couple of years out of my Ixus V1 and it's excellent and small and strong. :thumb:

Happy Jim
04-10-04, 01:58 PM
Louise,

I've got the Canon IXUS 400, top bit of kit, nice and small. As for quality, I tend to use 1 step down from top quality because the pictures are huge otherwise and the quaility is great for 6*4 prints, much larger and you'd want higher resolution (and bigger file sizes).

Rgds

Jim

craigh
04-10-04, 04:44 PM
I think pc world have a sale on certain digi cams at the mo,there are some good models on offer for less than 200,not sure how long it lasts for though,there was a good kodak and printer on offer for around 150,was in one of the papers on saturday

roll control
04-10-04, 06:16 PM
Hi Louise. Not exactly compact but for sale on the site and cheap enough. Takes good quality pics. http://www.cobraclub.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=154

callum
04-10-04, 06:20 PM
Ixus 500 from Comet is now £250 via the web. I use the 400 it replaces a lot. Excellent little beast and saving for one myself.

callum
04-10-04, 06:22 PM
By the way 500 pixel is better resolution than 35mm film so will blow up pretty well to A4

Bowtie
04-10-04, 09:43 PM
I have an Ixus V2 that I bought as a replacement for my Minox (I always keep a compact alternative to my system camera so form factor was really my top priority). It's really small and durable (thanks to the aluminum house) so I have found myself bringing it along much more than I initially planned for. I have taken some 2000 pictures with it in all kind of conditions (even 100 feet under water) and it performs over my expectations (it has a bit of a hard time under limited lighting conditions). It's only a 2meg/pixel camera but it takes "better" pictures than most other 2meg/pixel cameras that I have tested. I also like the somewhat smaller footprint of the 2med/pixel when it comes to archiving. Any Canon compact digicam would make a good choice, especially if you’re looking for a small form factor.

Olympus do really price worthy digicams in the lower price segment (but not as good as Canon and you will then get a "plastic house”). I have always ranked Nikon ahead of Canon but it looks like Canon really knows digicams (especially the compact ones). I still would take a look at the Nikon Coolpix series if you looking for a high resolution camera. My friend got one and it takes fantastic pictures.

The attached pictures are samples taken (by me) with my Canon V2:

paulp
06-10-04, 01:08 PM
I have the ixus V.

One thing to bear in mind is the quality of the photo, not just the mpixel. The Cannon takes fantastic pictues. Bowties pictures are a good indicator of the quality you will get. I've had many film cameras over the years, and the ixus blows them away

Our company bought the original ixus, then as everybody at work bought digital camera's they all went for the ixus.

The ixus is also very solid due to the metal case.

If you want to e-mail pictures you will need to reduce the size some ISP's don't like large attachments.

FatBoy
06-10-04, 04:00 PM
I've just bought my wife a Nikon D70. It isn't exactly "compact", but it's a cracking "toy" with loads of buttons and twiddly bits :D and the pictures are absolutely stunning........I'm not much of a camera buff, but I am learning.
I also bought her an Epson Photo 1290 A3 printer and I've been completely blown away by the results from that :thumb:

Paul

madjohnny
06-10-04, 06:58 PM
I think most of the modern digital ameras are very good. I use a Nikon coolpix3700 which is tiny but very easy to use and great pictures. Fuji also do very good cameras. Try internet cameras direct, very cheap & good service.

Louise
28-10-04, 04:23 PM
Thank you for your help, guys. I have had a good look around and found the Canon Ixus 430 at a bargain price :D so hopefully that will serve my needs!

Thanks again :)