PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank dimensions...PLEASE!!!

madjohnny
22-10-04, 07:37 PM
Hi guys, still having trouble trying to get a proper set of dimensions for the fuel tank so I can get one made up.

There must be plenty of you out there with the tank sitting in the corner ready to be fitted, can one of you kind gents spend 5 mins to measure it up for me? (preferably with output connection pipe sizes & locations)

Would be greatly appreciated.

madjohnny
22-11-04, 09:12 PM
Come on fella's it's been a month, don't make me beg!!:-( :-(

Grease Monkey
22-11-04, 09:55 PM
Pah, Dax owners ?! Who'd have em. :finger: :finger:

I can let you know the GD tank size . :thumb: :thumb:

:D :D

Purple AK
22-11-04, 10:13 PM
Pah, Dax owners ?! Who'd have em. :finger: :finger:

:D :DWith or without the packing cos it dosn't fit properly SORRY coudn,t resist :D :D ( I have just spent the weekend in Miket's company :D )

madjohnny
22-11-04, 11:51 PM
[quote:71ad614fb0="

:D :D[/QUOTE"]
Cheers Adrain, that's really useful, maybe if you gave the GD tank dimensions I could have that made up and then modify it!! :rolleyes:

Miket
23-11-04, 12:08 AM
With or without the packing cos it dosn't fit properly SORRY coudn,t resist :D :D ( I have just spent the weekend in Miket's company :D )

I've had a good teacher Chris :finger: :finger:

Instructions on fitting an AK fuel tank, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx sorry chaps, there isn't any, cos its already fitted when the kit arrives, so are the sidepipes and the holes in the body.

What other manufacturer does all this, NONE :thumb: :thumb:

Grease Monkey
23-11-04, 10:42 AM
Oh dear. Here we go again...

craggle
23-11-04, 01:18 PM
Hi John:)

I have just fitted my Dax fuel tank but could quite easily measure it for you as the car is still up on axle stands.

Are you building a standard chassis or De Dion version as the tanks are different. I assume you just want to manufacture the same size tank as Dax and fit it in the same location. Mine is the standard chassis fitted with steel tank. The only thing I can't measure is the internal baffles.

Ignore those GD owners. At least you brought a good looking car...:D :)
I'll get my coat and leave now before the insults come back......

Craig.

madjohnny
23-11-04, 06:32 PM
Craig, thanks, yes it is just the std chassis and will be mounted in the std position so the dimensions for yours will do nicely. :thumb:

I would have said great looking rather than good looking!!!

craggle
24-11-04, 01:11 PM
Hi john:thumb:

I will try to measure up the tank tonight or over the weekend and post the drawing here for future reference along with some photos I took of it.

Craig

DiggleBBC
24-11-04, 06:06 PM
How's this then?

Taken some time ago from my xplosafe tank. Not a De-Dion.

Pete Bennett

DiggleBBC
24-11-04, 06:24 PM
What those roughs don't show of course are the baffles that should be put in.
There should be a cover over the sump and baffles inside the tank to prevent fuel starvation under acceleration.
Not that Cobras do that much though. ;) :thumb:

madjohnny
24-11-04, 08:16 PM
Pete, that's superb just what I was after. You're diagram dosn't show the filler neck which I think is fitted on the drivers side is it not. Don't suppose that matters to much as long as the neck is the correct diameter for the filler pipe.

Any idea what size that is off the top of your head?

Is the fuel return only required for fuel injection?

Many thanks for your help on saving me a few bob which I recklessly spent on the engine (had to be done). :thumb: :thumb:

DiggleBBC
24-11-04, 09:59 PM
My pleasure.

I don't know the dimensions of the filler neck, but yes, it is on the driver's side.
There is also the hole for the fuel guage sender, which I seem to remember is just to the leading side of central. That would probably need to be cut before welding it up to prevent swarf from dropping into the tank, but the position of that isn't really crucial.
I'd offer to go and measure the offset from the leading, driver's side corner of the filler neck for you, but I'm about 130 miles away from the car (and home :-( ) but at least, if I have to be that far from home, I couldn't wish to be anywhere better than here in Newcastle.
If no-one else manages to answer the filler neck offset and diameter questions for you before the weekend, I'll try and get out into the garage and make a rough measurement. It would have to be rough, since after fitting it to the car, it's difficult to get the measurement precisely.
Bye for now. (Feel free to remind me to do the measuring, my memory isn't what it was!)

Purple AK
24-11-04, 10:03 PM
Sorry can't help with the position of the filler neck, But they are usually 2" O.D. ;)

Miket
24-11-04, 11:44 PM
Oh dear. Here we go again...
See it didn't happen :finger: :finger::whatever::whatever::thumb:

DiggleBBC
25-11-04, 06:40 AM
I've had a good teacher Chris :finger: :finger:

Instructions on fitting an AK fuel tank, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx sorry chaps, there isn't any, cos its already fitted when the kit arrives, so are the sidepipes and the holes in the body.

What other manufacturer does all this, NONE :thumb: :thumb:
MG, Daewoo, Kia, Mercedes - but they're not kits, starting to think the AK isn't either.
:p

craggle
26-11-04, 10:30 AM
Hi John

As promised here is the drawing of my steel fuel tank.:-}

I have saved it as a acrobat reader file as I could not get the resolution in Jpeg format.

If you need dimensions of the sender fixing holes I could also measure these up as I have not yet fitted it but it may be best to buy the sender unit first and make the tank to fit the sender.

Craig.

madjohnny
26-11-04, 04:28 PM
Craig, thanks for that, wasn't expecting anything quite as grand as those, excellent!!! Well just need to get it made now.

Does the tank mount to the chassis or do I need to wait until the body is on to mount it?

If that's the case won't be able to put that in until Jan 05 when the body arrives.

Thanks to everyone whose contributed, in whatever way. Cheers.

kdavies3
26-11-04, 05:32 PM
The tank is attached to the underside of the boot floor using two metal straps.
The boot floor being reinforced with a couple of steel strips.