PDA

View Full Version : Steel Braded Hose

MetaJacko
19-11-04, 01:00 PM
Anyone know a good place to get some steel braded hose from?

I think I need to replace all my coolent hose and I think it wold look better with
some steel braded stuff.

Thanks

Paul

Andy S
19-11-04, 01:09 PM
Paul, mine came from Merlin Motorsport Mailorder based at Castle Coombe Racecircuit, tel 01249 782101, another that springs to mind is Demon Tweaks. Alternatively you can use the new (ish) polymer hoses for the coolant which look and work pretty good too.

MetaJacko
19-11-04, 03:08 PM
Thanks,

I couldn't see any on Merlin Motorsport site when I first looked.

Paul

salmon
19-11-04, 04:46 PM
Hi,

Personally I wouldn't pay UK prices for stainless hose and fittings until you check out prices from US companies like Summit Racing or jegs.

Chris

kdavies3
19-11-04, 05:11 PM
Try speedflow or Think Automotive (thinkauto.co.uk)
You can buy hose braiding and annodised clamps etc. from both.
It aint cheap but looks the boll**ks.

ColinH
19-11-04, 06:40 PM
I've always found Speedflow very helpful particulalry if you are unsure of what you need in terms of fittings & sizes (can be very confusing)

Cheers
Colin

GDJag, EDA 383 SBC

wilf
19-11-04, 09:17 PM
Paul - what you need for decorating coolant lines is stainless "overbraid" - i.e. an overlay of stainless weaved tube that slips over your rubber coolant hoses and is kept in place by special hose clip thingies.

BUT - what you need for high pressure lines like oil cooler lines is completely different - that is aeroquip-type hose, where the stainless outer braid is part and parcel of the hose and it's strength.

As someone above mentioned, thinkauto is the dog's parts for oil cooler lines and fittings. Cheapest source you can find (UK or USA) for the coolant hose overbraid is OK.

Hope to be at the Castle this Sunday if you want further info. BTW, sorry to hear about your engine problems.

MetaJacko
22-11-04, 08:29 AM
Hi Wilf,

Engine rebuild is going well, as is the gear box rebuild. The oil and fuel lines are already braded steel. I need to replace the water lines as we found a lot of them were perished (or at least on their way) when we took out the engine.

It doesn't look to costly too replace (well compared to the engine re build with new pistons, bearings, cam, rockers, springs, valves, oil pump and a few other minor things!)

Paul

MetaJacko
22-11-04, 08:33 AM
I might be being really dense! but the sizes 6, 8 ,10 etc what are they?
I assume inside dia in mm.

Thanks

Paul

markn
22-11-04, 11:45 AM
I might be being really dense! but the sizes 6, 8 ,10 etc what are they?
I assume inside dia in mm.

Thanks

Paul
Paul - actually no, but this should help http://www.earls.co.uk/car/7_plumbing_basics/7_01_plumbing_basics.pdf - it helped me when plumbing up my engine. If you want to have identical hose throughout like I did, they even do water hose and fittings that's made the same way as the higher pressure stuff wilf mentions - they even do the hose big enough for the top an bottom rad hoses but be aware - it's about 100 a metre:eek: .

Mark

MetaJacko
22-11-04, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the link, it should help. :thumb:

Paul