PDA

View Full Version : Catching Vandals in the act.....

paulp
22-11-04, 12:52 PM
My mother (60 years old and living alone) has recently been targeted by what we guessed would be a gang of kids/youths.

Somebody would bang on all the front windows of the house, and ring the bell then run away. Sometimes they would pelt the house windows with eggs, sometimes with stones. One the one hand guessing it was kids she was annoyed, but did not treat it too seriously. On the other it was frightening as each attack took place, especially as its normally when its dark outside. She never saw the attackers, and as she lives on a reasonable estate there were no obvious suspects to have words with.

On saturday night my children were staying with my mother, as was my brother's child. The attackers struck again, pounding on all the front windows and running. As luck would have it my brother was in the house at the time so he took a walk around the estate knowing that the attackers would be near by. As he walked along the road to the rear of the house he caught two kids (about 10 or 11) in the middle of a second attack throwing stones at the rear bedroom windows.

Her grabbed one of the kids, lifted him up by the throat and pinned him to the fence. He shouted (screamed more like) that if he caught him doing that again he would rip his head off. He tried to get the home address out of the kid but he refused to give it. My brother then let him go.

Minutes later the kid and his mother appeared at my mothers door saying that my brother attacked the kid (unprovoked) and they had called the police. The kid initially denied doing anything, but when my brother said he had seen him throwing two stones the kid said "No I didn't I only threw one stone!" (clever kid!)

The police arrived after my brother had gone to work, and said that even though the family had decided not to press charges they had to follow through, and will want to interview him, and possibly charge him. My mother asked the police if they were interested in why my brother had grabbed the kid, short answer is no, they are not interested at all! At no stage did he hit the kid, but he did leave a red mark on his throat.

Bearing in mind that 3 young children were playing in the room thay were targeting with stones, but the kids throwing the stones were 10 or 11, do you think his actions were justified?

I think most people that have been targeted by vandals etc say "if I caught them I'd sort the B^%££$ds out"

I would personaly have made sure I got the address from the kid, then confronted the parents. If he refused to give the address I would restrain him (with however much force that would take) and call the police. I'm glad they got a taste of their own medicine, they terrorised somebody weaker than themselves, and they got to feel what thats like.

We've now identified the second kid (cocky git was was walking up and down outside the house yesterday!). We've since heard he's the troublemaker so I'll be having some well chosen words with him next week. Nothing I can be pulled for, but enough to let him know that he's not got away with it.

kevchard
22-11-04, 01:09 PM
Hi
We have a lot of the same problems in our area, the one piece of advice I can give is make sure there are no witness's and if there is ensure they will back up your side of the story. We counted 38 youths outside our house and the police were to busy to come out. One youth did accuse me of pushing him, luckily my wife was around and could confirm the youth was walking backwards and stumbled over the kerb.
Cheers
Kevin and Helen

Grease Monkey
22-11-04, 03:45 PM
My outlaws neighbours recently made an application to extend their conservatory. The oulaws looked into it and found that the initial conservatory application had been rejected by the council but they'd gone ahead and built it anyway.

Anyhow, they objected to the new application on the grounds that the original extension shouldn't have been built in the first place, and the council agreed.

The next morning they woke to find 3 of their tyres slashed. Got them fixed and told the coppers who did nothing. Exactly 1 week later (friday night again) and 2 of the new tyres were slashed again. Police again involved and didn't want to know. (Too busy 'policing' bus lanes and making our lives safer by rigerously enforcing those dangerous speed limits of dual carriageways no doubt)

Touch wood, nothing this weekend just gone, but if it happens again we'll have to buy a CCTV setup and video the bas*$£ds.

kevchard
22-11-04, 04:10 PM
Hi
you can get a cctv set up from maplin for £49.95, colour during the day, with infra red night vision, attaches to any video. cheaper than having to buy new tyres. The best money we have spent in a long time.
Cheers
Kevin and Helen

Andy302
22-11-04, 04:16 PM
Have had similar attacks on our house by local scum, pondlife, waste of oxygen that sort of person, you know what I mean. It was when the building work was going on at tthe back of the house, no side fence you see except for a builders temp. fence. Anyway on Sunday one of the 4 ft fence spikes lands through one of our flower pots, thrown by some unseen to&&er up the road, so out I goes screaming like something out of hell and chases them up the road. Didnt catch anyone (lucky for me I think as I dont fancy clink). I gets back and gets it in the neck from the wife who quite rightly points out the pit falls of such action.

Touch wood since then all has been well, aided by a 300w security light on the side of the house which has illuminated the dark place they used to hide.

The key is dont expect the law to help you, as they are always too busy. I have heard telling the policeman on the phone, just after he has said "we are too busy to attend@ that you are going to shoot them works (obviously you are not), but I dont know if Id have the guts to try it.

Now if you break the speed limit on a deserted country road by 12 mph when you can see clearly for ooh at least 3 miles, then you should expect to be dealt with most severely for your are the scum of the earth who does not deserve to drive on the Queens highway........ Makes you think doesent it. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

tarmacscratcher
22-11-04, 05:03 PM
Noooo...don't say you're going to shoot them!.......say they're going to shoot you! Works for me everytime.........oh and expect.... alot of them....and the helicopter too.

tonym
22-11-04, 05:57 PM
I wonder if every time one of the little bast*rds made your life a misery you punched the kids father really hard would eventually get them to stop? It worked for me some years back :thumb:

paulp
22-11-04, 07:19 PM
The problem is that the Law is no deterent. Police do not have the resources to deal with petty crime anymore, your just given a crime number and thats it.

My car was vandalised (Keyed) a couple of weeks ago. It was only parked at home, the local shopping centre, or swimming baths on the day it was done. I know from a friend that had the same thing done that the police will not have the manpower to go through the footage at each of the places, and the shops/swimming baths will not give you a copy of the tapes to check yourself. I didn't even bother reporting it as I know nothing will come of it.

In the past year my shed has been done twice, and when things like that happen you find all your neigbours tell you how many times its happened to them. Last year somebody tried to burn my neighbours house down while he was on holiday (lit matches through the letterbox) It makes you really worried about the way society is going.

When I told my brothers about the car both said theres hand been keyed the past 2 years. One of my brothers has had every car he's owned in the past 5 years damaged or broken in to. He never reports it as nothing happens. You just accept it as a way of life now. In one case somebody slashed the side panel of his convertable RAV4 to steal a printer cartridge off the back seat. The side panel on a RAV4 just unzips!

If you're just in the market for a home security system i-catcher do a program that records stills from any video source to hard drive, whenever there is a change in the frame. I'm going to mount a couple of USB cameras around the outside of the house and hook them up to the PC.

markn
22-11-04, 07:41 PM
Some years ago I used to be a plod - though even then, 14 years ago, there was respect and we could meter out summary justice old fashioned style and not be at risk. Nowadays it's an outrage that people find themselves in these types of situations without the support of the law - it's not their fault but suffice to say there are none so blind as those who cannot see (and I do not mean to denigrate blind folk).

If it were me - I'd follow tarmacscratchers advice but only over egg the situation enough to get a response - I wouldn't want to be the subject of a charge for wasting police time.

Mark

chiffer
23-11-04, 02:45 PM
I am fed up to the back teeth with all these so called young people just doing what they want. Breaking into houses, cars, vandalising property, and generally swaggering arround the place doing just what they want to do. If the police can not be bothered to intervine and do something, believe me, it will not be long before people will start to take matters into their own hands. If I was a lot younger and fitter, I would be tempted to sort them out after the damage done to my property and cars, and no I am not a grumpy old man. Just a man who sees this country going to the dogs. Moan over, now going to play with my cobra.

kevchard
23-11-04, 02:58 PM
Hi
to be honest I don't think age has much to do with feeling the way you do, we seem to have given the yobs all the human rights, as law abiding people we become second class citizens, we don't get the adventure weekends, or the perks these yobs get if actually caught. I worked as a nurse in a young offenders unit, they get treated a lot better than the pensioners of this country. Sorry for continuing to moan, this issue really bugs me.
Cheers
Helen

Grease Monkey
23-11-04, 03:04 PM
You aren't the only one, in fact i don't know one person who would complain if the laws were changed to remove a criminals rights.

You break into a house, you leave your rights at the door.

You get caught and convicted for a crime, you have to pay back any damages. Lets see how many rocks they have to break to pay the insurance company back for a burnt out £40k Merc. Hell it would take me YEARS to save 40k, espesially with it all going on the toy.. :thumb: :thumb:

Boll**ks to the UKIP, perhaps someone should start a UK Law & Order party.....

kevchard
23-11-04, 03:12 PM
Hi
It is like a holiday for these yobs if they get put away, they get a menu for each meal, comprising of at least 3 choices, not to mention those with special diets, they all have access to cable tv, pool tables, course's to learn more about cars, which makes it easier for them to steal them when they get out, all have visiting rights, use of telephones, the only thing they don't do is go to the local pub. And now they are sueing for because they feel they have been degraded because they are not always called MR Smith or whatever. Give me a break.
Cheers
Helen

Dax SC
23-11-04, 04:06 PM
So, I'm lying in bed Sunday just gone 6.00 in the morning, when my wife wakes me up. She is looking outside our bedroom window and whispers 'Mark, Mark there is someone in our back garden! I shoot up, and sure enough I can see some one looking through our patio windows. He hasn't seen us. Adrenelin pumps up-what do I do? Do I shout out to scare them off, or sneak outside and have a go? I have to admit, my legs were shaking.

I pull on some clothes as quick as I can (in darkness as I don't want to put the light on and alert him) and run downstairs tripping over my pants! Quietly open the front door and sneak around the back. Phucker heres me opening the side gate and legs it over a fence to the neighbours.

We call the Police, who we are told will be around after 9.00 am. Forensic Officer comes around, but there is no evidence, followed later on by two Police Officers. They do a security check on the premises, following which I have spent this week installing 4 security lights and various lock upgrades.

My wife now finds it difficult sleeping at night, and is petrified if they break in when I am not here, and enter the bedroom.

My 12 guage Mossberg pump action Riot shotgun is now loaded with rock salt, with a couple of live ones in the speed-feed stock!! We would never use it, but the sight of it would ensure anyone looking down the business end would shit their pants!
o

tonym
23-11-04, 04:14 PM
You'd only end up being sued by the robber tosser for ruining his pants and probably mental stress and anguish too. You can't win and it's all completely and utterly wrong :angry:

kevchard
23-11-04, 04:24 PM
The police checked our security and arranged to have different locks and security chains fitted. The chain on the front door is very effective, Kevin left it on and went out the back door, I came home from work and could not kick the door in, I could not break the chain with a chisel and hammer, even a small lump hammer failed, the wood certainly started to splinter. The police did offer to fit one on the bedroom door for added security if I was on my own. All at thier expense which makes a change.
Cheers
Helen

COBRA KEV01
23-11-04, 09:48 PM
Guys i feel for you all,and i understand why everybody has a negative approach regarding the police.I have over the last few months witnessed just what a load of useless wankers these people really are.To cut a very long story down i have a freind who owns a pizza shop who recently has had a girl who was being abused at home coming into the shop. We have had loads of youngsters who wonder the streets and end up hanging out at the shop,and this girl was like a scared rabbit whos mother ,an ex heroin addict and ,who is also an alcoholic was being violent at home and would very often return home and give her a hiding.
Very often the mother would just dissapear for days on end.
Anyway this girl entered our shop and said that her mother had kicked her out and that she now wanted to go into foster care,being only 14 years old, my freind over numerous occasions hasled the police and the social services injto trying to get this girl into a safe enviroment.
So what happened,well i will tell you what happened,the police have made my freinds life a misery and have even accused him of being a paedophile,he has had know end of hassle from the police.Its a very long story and we actually now have a petition going e.t.c the guy has a caring nature and becouse he helped this kid he has been branded by the police in this way.
What i would say is dont bother ever with those useless tossers becouse you are better off taking the law into your own hands,if someone vandalises your property then take them somewhere else alone and give them a good kicking.
Thats what i would do and if you get caught you would probably be let off with a small fine.It seems to me that crime pays and the only justice is the justice that you dish out yourself or the other way is to pay an older kid or persons a few quid to beat up on the offender,if known,thats what a mate of mine did years ago and he never had a problem since then.
And as far as caring i wouldnt bother becouse going to somebodys aid is just not worth it.
And the police ...i say...f**ck them..

robinj66
23-11-04, 10:16 PM
Paul

If the police do want to speak to your brother then make sure he has a lawyer present - its free at the police station. Make sure he says nothing to any police officer regarding this - even if they pop round for a "chat". Seriously, he could be facing all sorts of problems including a charge of assault on a juvenile. If he needs to be pointed in the right direction then send me a pm or call me (07798 850486).

As far as legal remedies go the police and the local authorities have the power to apply for an ASBO in the local Magistrates' Court. Get your mother to contact the local police station and ask to speak to the local community officer ( or whatever he's called this week) for her area. If she is fobbed off then put in a complaint to Police headquarters at Maidstone and also one to her local MP.

ASBO's may not sound much but once breached the "little darling" can (and often is) sent to custody.

Appreciate that everyone feels strongly about this sort of behaviour but believe me lots of people end up in court for taking matters into their own hands - I know because I then have to represent them and actions committed in the heat of the moment don't sound half so reasonable in the cold light of a Magistrate's frosty glare.

paulp
24-11-04, 07:30 AM
robinj66

The police definately want to speak to my brother, but he lives in a different area to my mother so they are passing it to his local branch.

Luckily he has a friend who is a policeman. He's advised him to say that he was restraining the kid to prevent him from carrying out a criminal act. This is pretty much true as he grabbed the kid while they were trowing the stones. As I said before he did not at any time hit the kid, he just grabbed him. Hitting him would have been too far.

To get things in perspective these kids were 10 or 11, but all the hallmarks are there for them being on future episodes of neigbours from hell in a couple of years

Their house is on a corner and its surounded by cars in various states of repair, the mother and father are dripping in cheap gold, the type of people who think your status in life is dictated by how many gold Sovereigns you wear.

Purple AK
24-11-04, 09:38 AM
Oh Dear. Paul I hope your not describing the type of people I think you are. They generally speaking seem to be above the law :mad: Be careful they can be very, very vindictive. Good Luck

COBRA KEV01
24-11-04, 12:23 PM
Kev, if you check the Exeter post you will see that unfortunately some posts have gone missing recently, as Happened to Chris ( Purple AK ). But as you asked me to delete you post I have :p

kevchard
24-11-04, 12:29 PM
Hey Kev
Your post has not been deleted, just put in different order, I read your post about the guy in the pizza shop. I can't say I'm surprised that the police have picked on him, it saves them having to investigate any further, they get an easy days work, by taking a short cut and pinning the blame on the wrong person.
Cheers
Helen

Grease Monkey
24-11-04, 12:38 PM
Temper Temper...

You're just sore 'cos i beat you on DTunnel, and i'm going after your cutie quake title in the next day or two.

:thumb: :thumb:

COBRA KEV01
27-11-04, 07:46 PM
I was sore becouse i spent time on that post and was being serious for a change!
I thought that someone was deleting my posts for no reason at all,i was upset.
Sorry to Tinka e.t.c about the last most recent post where i did a lot of swearing.
Incidentally i recently thrashed the asteroids top score to find that it never registered,i dont know why?
And Grease Monkey how the hell did you get the top score on d-tunnel ,i would not get anywhere near that score so i will let you keep that title!!!!!!!!!!
Although i am still the games hall king of course!!
KEVCHARD
Did you get the e-mail i sent you some time ago?!!!!!!!!!!

Miket
27-11-04, 09:01 PM
I was walking through Newton Abbot this afternoon and there was a gang of 30 to 40 youths, ages between 13 and 16 congregating round the centre intimidating everybody who passed and smashing beer bottles in the road, I drove up to the police station which is 300yds away to report this, I was greated by 2 civvy young ladies who where taking reports from Joe public, I interupted and told them what was happening, I was told to sit down and we will take a statement when we are free :angry:, I told them it was rather urgent and I couldn't wait.

I then returned to watch the antics, the Police turned up 20 mins later to find everybody gone, I asked the reason for the delay and was informed that there was only 1 unit available for the town centre and we where busy with a shop lifting incident :angry:

The rest of the Police Force was probably parked up waiting for speeding motorist. :(

COBRA KEV01
27-11-04, 09:55 PM
hey i will be around tommorow,so have the biccies and cakes at the ready!!!!!!!!

Purple AK
27-11-04, 10:11 PM
Mike.

Thats the state of things today :( In East Sussex rural (2500 Square miles, ish) at any one time there are only 5 cars available to respond to an incident!!! If there isnt conclusive CCTV evidence they can't afford the time to investigate!! Labour Rules :angry:

kevchard
28-11-04, 05:16 PM
hi
cobra kev01, I presume you mean the private message where you state you will kick my head in, well for starters I am Helen Kevin's wife and I play the arcade not him. Now as to the threat, I work in A & E, I deal with threats from drunks,druggies and every other kind of unmentional you could imagine. So you want to kick my head in for getting the highest score,then feel free to try.
Helen

COBRA KEV01
28-11-04, 06:48 PM
You dont scare me with your a&e threats Mrs Chard!!!
Beat my scores if you dare

pat b
28-11-04, 07:05 PM
hi
cobra kev01, I presume you mean the private message where you state you will kick my head in, well for starters I am Helen Kevin's wife and I play the arcade not him. Now as to the threat, I work in A & E, I deal with threats from drunks,druggies and every other kind of unmentional you could imagine. So you want to kick my head in for getting the highest score,then feel free to try.
Helenfight!! fight!! fight!!

robert
28-11-04, 07:17 PM
You dont scare me with your a&e threats Mrs Chard!!!
Beat my scores if you dare
Kev

Do I really have to get involved with this?? Beleive me, I will if I have to. :angry:

COBRA KEV01
28-11-04, 07:58 PM
Robert im messing around as usual,keep your hair on mate
Believe is also spelt like this and not beleive!!! just a thought...

Miket
28-11-04, 09:47 PM
Robert im messing around as usual,keep your hair on mate
Believe is also spelt like this and not beleive!!! just a thought...
And im is I'm