PDA

View Full Version : New to Cobras, Track day anyone?

Black_magpie
14-12-04, 10:51 PM
Hi All,

I've just bought a Dax Tojeiro 96 built cobra. AFTER buying it i've noticed in the forums that people don't really like the V12 jag engine (mines running a pre HE 1980 model) and obviously the V8 is the preferred choice (loud n proud!). Now i'm wondering have i made a mistake??? :-( The trim is beautiful and apparantly has original cobra seats (how do i check?) the paintwork is pretty tidy (a few crazings here and there but not really that blatant) and it has adjustable sports suspension too. I'm really happy with it APART FROM THE ENGINE NOW! :angry: Could any of you experts out there give me some kind of cost indication on how much a ford big block and transmission would cost inc fitting by a qualified workshop? and would it be worth it in the long run as to increasing the re-sale value of the car? I only have the intention of keeping it for 1 year and don't really want to get my hands dirty. My expertise isn't in the mechanics realm unfortunately but i just had to get a cobra cause they're beautiful cars. Your suggestions and comments are welcome.

P.s My best mate owns www.trackdays.co.uk (http://www.trackdays.co.uk) if anyone is interested. Come through me and i may be able to get further discounts!

Well i'm off to try and add some pics of my car to my profile, check them out if i succeed!

Gregg.

madjohnny
14-12-04, 11:07 PM
Gregg, i think you would find it would be very expensive to change the engine as the engine has to be specified at the chassis ordering process so as the correct mounts can fitted. Without changing the chassis, which doesn't really sound viable you would be looking at extensive mods to accomadate a V8, which I doubt would be cost effective if it can be done at all.

Best bet if you have your heart "re-set" on a V8 would be to sell your own and buy something with one already in.

Black_magpie
14-12-04, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the advice John, I'm taking the cobra to Thunder road cars to get it checked over and make sure it's sound, maybe i'll keep my targets realistic and covert to a manual transmission, that's sure to increase the fun factor!!
Thanks again

Gregg.

TINKA
15-12-04, 05:07 PM
with the exchange rate as it is at the moment now is the time to swap if you are going to, but it won't be cheap 4000 for an engine plus you will need a gearbox Roger at Shiny bits ( who advertises on the forum is doing the Dax side pipes at the moment for 999 or something close, but you would need new engine mounts fitted (welded ) to your chassis, lots of other small bits to do as well but not too difficult. Depending on how much you paid for it in the first place to weather or not it is worth doing, I suspect if you are only keeping it for a year a V8 would defiantly command a better resale price and is more desirable. Ask at thunder road when you take it in as what they don't know about thees cars is not worth knowing. :thumb: