Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sidecarbod is offline Driving God

Why does a polo mint have a hole in it?

It has always puzzled me why a polo has a hole in the middle, I've been told that it is to allow more flavour to escape but I was inclined to believe that it was so they could make the packet look bigger without giving away any more actual mint.

Please can someone confirm that my maths are correct…

(I hope that the JPG opens large enough to read it, you might have to right click and save the target file)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sidecarbod; 11-11-09 at 05:38 PM.
    I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Rules for buying 'Go Faster' parts:-

If it's fast and cheap then it's not good.
    If it's cheap and good then it's not fast.
    If it's good and fast then it's not cheap!

Geoff's Project is offline Head Mechanic
    Bored?.........
    Geoff
    Started - Building a 427 De-Dion, it has to be a Chevy 383
    Re-start the build
    This means nothing to me, ah Vienna!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V8 BCC is offline Chief Bottle Washer and Tea Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidecarbod View Post
    It has always puzzled me why a polo has a hole in the middle, I've been told that it is to allow more flavour to escape but I was inclined to believe that it was so they could make the packet look bigger without giving away any more actual mint.

(I hope that the JPG opens large enough to read it, you might have to right click and save the target file)

I think you could do with another project pete !!!

Ben C
    Always in the sh*t, just the depth that varies !

AKA The Silver Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff's Project View Post
    Bored?.........
    Hey, I was at work, what else was I supposed to do?

Purple AK is offline Pit Babe Magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidecarbod View Post

Showing your (lack of) age here Pete! Everyone who remembers the adverts knows the hole is there so you can poke your tongue in it!!
    Chris
    AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

craggle is offline Pit Babe Magnet
    I think your maths of the outer circumference band is a bit wrong?

Pi x Diameter gives the circumference which is 19 x 3.14 = 59.66mm
    Multiply this by 4 gives the surface area which I make. 238.64 square mm.

This dosen't matter though as you have used the same figure of 187.3324 in both calculations.

The rest of the calculation looks sound though so yes you are right, Same surface area.

Now work out the surface area of the letters!

Craig.

Built a Dax once, Long time ago, painted it blue, original huh...?

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/714/username/craggle

Quote Originally Posted by craggle View Post
    I think your maths of the outer circumference band is a bit wrong?

Pi x Diameter gives the circumference which is 19 x 3.14 = 59.66mm
    Multiply this by 4 gives the surface area which I make. 238.64 square mm.

This dosen't matter though as you have used the same figure of 187.3324 in both calculations.

The rest of the calculation looks sound though so yes you are right, Same surface area.

Now work out the surface area of the letters!

Craig.

At last a sensible answer to my question!

You're right Craig, I've cocked up the outer circumference! No wonder everything that I make looks a bit odd!

craggle is offline Pit Babe Magnet
    Like I sad though, so long as the same figure is used in both equations it really dosen't matter.

Actually if you were a true mathematician you would just leave that surface out the equation as they are both the same so cancel each other out.

Interesting project though and I initially thought the surface area would be greater with the hole.

Craig.

Built a Dax once, Long time ago, painted it blue, original huh...?

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/714/username/craggle

Purple AK is offline Pit Babe Magnet
    A Few Useless Facts......

38 million Polos are produced everyday and more than 140 are consumed every second.

Different types of polo mint which have been available over the years... see how many you remember...

Spearmint: This variation had a strong spearmint flavour and aroma. The sweet had turquoise flecks on it.

Fruit: This variety had different fruit flavoured Polos in one tube. These Polos were not mints but boiled fruits. Flavours included were strawberry, blackberry, orange, lemon, and lime.

Sugar free: The sugar free version of the Original Polo. Suitable for diabetics and children.

Polo Holes: Nestlé experimented with this variation for a while. It was the original Polo flavour in the shape of the hole from the middle of the sweet.

Mini Strong Polo’s: These were tiny Polos (about 1 cm in diameter) with a strong minty flavour. They were packaged in a box shaped like a Polo Mint. They were also available in a not so successful orange flavour.

Smoothies: These came in flavours such as blackcurrant, sunshine fruits and strawberry. They were creamy.

A Polo is approximately 1.9cm in diameter, 0.4cm deep and has a 0.8cm wide hole. The original Polo is white in colour with a hole in the middle, and the word 'POLO' embossed on both sides3 around the ring – hence the popular slogan –The Mint with the Hole.

The ingredients include: sugar, glucose syrup, modified starch, stearic acid (of vegetable origin), and mint oils. They are usually sucked until they are thin and spindly and crushed under the eater's teeth.

When Polos are crushed in a darkened room, triboluminescence4 can be seen. This blue light5 is the result of friction between the sugar crystals when the Polos are broken. The sweet tends to crack or break along planes that are oppositely charged. When these positive and negative charges try to get back together, these charges ‘jump’ across the rift, like tiny lightning bolts.

On the 16th of April 2008, the polo mint celebated it's 60th birthday
    Chris
    AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

Quote Originally Posted by Purple AK View Post
    A Few Useless Facts......

38 million Polos are produced everyday and more than 140 are consumed every second.

Different types of polo mint which have been available over the years... see how many you remember...

Spearmint: This variation had a strong spearmint flavour and aroma. The sweet had turquoise flecks on it.

Fruit: This variety had different fruit flavoured Polos in one tube. These Polos were not mints but boiled fruits. Flavours included were strawberry, blackberry, orange, lemon, and lime.

Sugar free: The sugar free version of the Original Polo. Suitable for diabetics and children.

Polo Holes: Nestlé experimented with this variation for a while. It was the original Polo flavour in the shape of the hole from the middle of the sweet.

Mini Strong Polo’s: These were tiny Polos (about 1 cm in diameter) with a strong minty flavour. They were packaged in a box shaped like a Polo Mint. They were also available in a not so successful orange flavour.

Smoothies: These came in flavours such as blackcurrant, sunshine fruits and strawberry. They were creamy.

A Polo is approximately 1.9cm in diameter, 0.4cm deep and has a 0.8cm wide hole. The original Polo is white in colour with a hole in the middle, and the word 'POLO' embossed on both sides3 around the ring – hence the popular slogan –The Mint with the Hole.

The ingredients include: sugar, glucose syrup, modified starch, stearic acid (of vegetable origin), and mint oils. They are usually sucked until they are thin and spindly and crushed under the eater's teeth.

When Polos are crushed in a darkened room, triboluminescence4 can be seen. This blue light5 is the result of friction between the sugar crystals when the Polos are broken. The sweet tends to crack or break along planes that are oppositely charged. When these positive and negative charges try to get back together, these charges ‘jump’ across the rift, like tiny lightning bolts.

On the 16th of April 2008, the polo mint celebated it's 60th birthday

Excellent information Chris, I'll add it to my other documentation that I have on the fore mentioned mint!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast